Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

redv5

Sep 3, 2002
Hampshire
Hi, I did a search for OVERALL.NDS and found multiple on my backed up SD card. Which particular folder should I be copying OVERALL.NDS from/to.

Tell

Staff member
Hi, I did a search for OVERALL.NDS and found multiple on my backed up SD card. Which particular folder should I be copying OVERALL.NDS from/to.
The only one you overwrite using your existing file is this one:

/maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS

As per the resource guide:

Step 9:

Steps:

1. Download the latest standard MIB2 maps
  2. on the infotainment go to settings, safely remove, sd1 card
  3. remove sd1 card from glove box slot
  4. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  5. insert sd card in to computer
  6. copy and paste all contents to a directory on your computer
  7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off) (ditto in a MAC or delete all from the SD card)
  8. Copy the new downloaded map version to the SD card (after unzipping it)
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  10. eject the sd card (on a MAC run CleanMyDrive on the SD card - then eject)
  11. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
  12. power on and go to navigation

Reactions: Walone
Dec 3, 2021
I’ve just swapped my golf for a 2020 Leon tourer and tried to do an SD card update for the latest maps following the thread as I mistakenly didn’t save the original data from the v9 card that was in the car.
I’ve tried formatting via fat32, downloading 1810 newest maps and then using an old version 0430 for the nds. But can’t get it to work.
Car sees the SD, says card contains nav data when it’s inserted but nav doesn’t work just says database not available.

many idea as to what I’ve done wrong?

Tell

Staff member
I’ve just swapped my golf for a 2020 Leon tourer and tried to do an SD card update for the latest maps following the thread as I mistakenly didn’t save the original data from the v9 card that was in the car.
I’ve tried formatting via fat32, downloading 1810 newest maps and then using an old version 0430 for the nds. But can’t get it to work.
Car sees the SD, says card contains nav data when it’s inserted but nav doesn’t work just says database not available.

many idea as to what I’ve done wrong?
You could try loading 0430 in completely. Check it works. Failing that we did have an issue with someone on 1030 that couldn't do it that way so I found 1030 for them for the NDS file after getting the photo of the card.. Do you want to post up a picture of the card. We want to know what it says after 6P or whatever it shows on the front if the card.

There might have been a bump in the road where the 0430 solution doesn't always work. As well as backing up the card it's also good to photograph the information screen before deleting the contents, but the give away of what the unit was on is revealed by the 6P code on the front of the SD... i dont trust the release serial code of v9 since different seriel releases exist for the brands but all the same release, 6p code is in the release.

Dec 3, 2021
You could try loading 0430 in completely. Check it works. Failing that we did have an issue with someone on 1030 that couldn't do it that way so I found 1030 for them for the NDS file after getting the photo of the card.. Do you want to post up a picture of the card. We want to know what it says after 6P or whatever it shows on the front if the card.

There might have been a bump in the road where the 0430 solution doesn't always work. As well as backing up the card it's also good to photograph the information screen before deleting the contents, but the give away of what the unit was on is revealed by the 6P code on the front of the SD... i dont trust the release serial code of v9 since different seriel releases exist for the brands but all the same release, 6p code is in the release.
Thanks Tell.
Tried just 0430 and same message, so I’m definitely doing something wrong.
Was easy in the golf but over certainly not nailed the skills to do it in the seat.

Attachments

• DC92547C-1BB4-4C6C-BEF4-28E6B16EA6BA.jpeg
    DC92547C-1BB4-4C6C-BEF4-28E6B16EA6BA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 109

Tell

Staff member
Thanks Tell.
Tried just 0430 and same message, so I’m definitely doing something wrong.
Was easy in the golf but over certainly not nailed the skills to do it in the seat.
Can you give 1030 a whirl and see whether it fixes it in the meantime for me searching it out. Tricky since you have to find live links.

My cut and paste on that:

Well your luck is in for the Seat V7 card

ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="1030"
PartNumber2="5NA919866"
PartNumber3="5L0051236AH"
PartNumber4="6P0919866AF"
PartNumber5="7CE919866M"
SystemName="ECE1 2018/19"

It's the one the partners Arona came with which I have a copy off. Referred to as 1030 across VW / Skoda and Seat.

It's this link that is still live:

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/STD2_1030_EU1_201819.zip

That's Version 7 which is either two years before or one year... it may work.

Historically you can install back then use the NDS file as per the workaround. I have read that there was one year that they messed up the file and they released it without mapcare installed.

its not 1115 since that fininished in BN your is BA. Some where between 1030 and 1115. V8 was AK.

Failing that you'd have to buy one off ebay £30. Alternatively someone may be able to give you a V9 NDS file if their card looks the same.

I'd try 1030 above for life saving.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021
Can you give 1030 a whirl and see whether it fixes it in the meantime for me searching it out. Tricky since you have to find live links.

My cut and paste on that:

Well your luck is in for the Seat V7 card

ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="1030"
PartNumber2="5NA919866"
PartNumber3="5L0051236AH"
PartNumber4="6P0919866AF"
PartNumber5="7CE919866M"
SystemName="ECE1 2018/19"

It's the one the partners Arona came with which I have a copy off. Referred to as 1030 across VW / Skoda and Seat.

It's this link that is still live:

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/STD2_1030_EU1_201819.zip

That's Version 7 which is either two years before or one year... it may work.

Historically you can install back then use the NDS file as per the workaround. I have read that there was one year that they messed up the file and they released it without mapcare installed.

its not 1115 since that fininished in BN your is BA. Some where between 1030 and 1115. V8 was AK.

Failing that you'd have to buy one off ebay £30. Alternatively someone may be able to give you a V9 NDS file if their card looks the same.

I'd try 1030 above for life saving.
Thanks Tell, appreciate that. Will download that and give it a whirl. Will drop an update in once its done and tested.

Dec 3, 2021
Thanks Tell, appreciate that. Will download that and give it a whirl. Will drop an update in once its done and tested.
Sorted!!
Tried 1030 on its own from that download you kindly found and it didn't work....maybe i did something wrong. So then i tried using 1810 and then using the nds from 1030 and thats sorted it. now have nav back up and running.
owe you a pint, thanks Tell

Reactions: Tell

_Dejan_

Mar 20, 2018
Hi Tell, after long time Im back with my problems with MapCare Which Im buy in february 2019 and last map which I can install is 0189... In June 2021 I had car in service because beatsaudio amplifier die and they "reset" or reflash headunit with stock settings/firmware to see if this is problem... But it didn't fix problem so they need change amplifier and recode unit to accept new amplifier...
After that Im try update maps and they everytime failed... Im try different SD cards without sucess...
Today Im check FEC values and they look strange...
Veljavno=Valid
Neveljavno=Forbiden
Check attachment and you will see that I have 2 07300028 codes one valid and another forbiden...
0730001c have date: 2021-06-01_14:22
07300028(Valid) have date: 2021-06-01_14:22
07300028(Forbiden) have date: 2019-02-04_15:55

My car has been build May 2018 Im buy mapcare end of January 2019 it has been activated on start of february 2019. I expect that if I have been forbiden to update maps from May 2018 to Feb 2019 and in Feb 2019 pay updates they must work until Feb 2022 or Im wrong?
Do you know if FEC can be changed remote or I can do it myself(MIB2 Toolkit, Unit fw update...)...
Im see now in one post that you look for my FEC's...

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_20211221_191335_resized_20211221_073716000.jpg
    IMG_20211221_191335_resized_20211221_073716000.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 95

Tell

Staff member
Hi Tell, after long time Im back with my problems with MapCare Which Im buy in february 2019 and last map which I can install is 0189... In June 2021 I had car in service because beatsaudio amplifier die and they "reset" or reflash headunit with stock settings/firmware to see if this is problem... But it didn't fix problem so they need change amplifier and recode unit to accept new amplifier...
After that Im try update maps and they everytime failed... Im try different SD cards without sucess...
Today Im check FEC values and they look strange...
Veljavno=Valid
Neveljavno=Forbiden
Check attachment and you will see that I have 2 07300028 codes one valid and another forbiden...
0730001c have date: 2021-06-01_14:22
07300028(Valid) have date: 2021-06-01_14:22
07300028(Forbiden) have date: 2019-02-04_15:55

My car has been build May 2018 Im buy mapcare end of January 2019 it has been activated on start of february 2019. I expect that if I have been forbiden to update maps from May 2018 to Feb 2019 and in Feb 2019 pay updates they must work until Feb 2022 or Im wrong?
Do you know if FEC can be changed remote or I can do it myself(MIB2 Toolkit, Unit fw update...)...
Im see now in one post that you look for my FEC's...

Thanks for any help.
Referring to my table the 1c would include November 2017, November 2020. That's a long way off November 2021. So you are short of Mapcare for the 195 release. 193 wasn't supported by Seat they left the Seat navigation FeC of it (June 2021), that one wouldn't have worked in any case.

I can only think the invalid FeC is due to it being written incorrectly or they re applied the package update you already had so it gave you that or your rebuild reverted to the original, not what you paid for.

Things have moved along a bit if you are into risk taking from our last conversation. Possibly a good idea to identify a retrofitter that can rescue you if you mess up your own firmware update with lifelong FeCs. That is what I did, I did get assistance from the Mib collective as I call them on the software thread.

For DIY there is a possibility that your current firmware is covered by Mib Tool, which is a Tool that writes FeCs. Failing that you can upgrade to the final firmware and use Mib Tool or something called AO, that is now the preferred route although we haven't had anyone do it on the firmware thread, but I guess it works. The safety net if it goes wrong us to then take it to a retrofitter to sort out.

Give you some links:

Under revised stuff is the AO method that's the recommrnded firmware update for 1447 with lifelong FeCs

The second link to Angelixx is the previous way to get to 1447 with some pain, but do able since Anglelixx did it. Read on from that link.

The post I did which cover how to do the previous method and mib tool is here:

Option 2 of that post above covers using mib tools to must do the FeC edit but this only works with specific firmware, this text

Patches already exist for 1219, 1338, 1376, 1409 and 1447 (as of 24/06/2021). An existing patch matching the SW needs to be flashed. If a dummy patch is supplied by the team as a fix, go to addfec button direct in this menu.

If your firmware is on the list of those five then you can just use option 2 without changing the firmware. Mib tool goes in the green menu and is relatively safe. I did option 2. The mib collective guys wrote me a module which then became 1338 on the module list. I was on 1338.

So those are the DIY options. Btw I had 193 working on my Seat since the unit runs on Skoda navigation FeCs. I researched all of this when I got annoyed that Seat were not supporting 193. It became apparent that some of the retrofit ones did. The rest is history.

Reactions: _Dejan_

_Dejan_

Mar 20, 2018
Hi Tell, thanks for your fast reply... I need to read thread from my last post and your provided links to analyze all and select less invasive method ...

Car has been build in factory in May 2018. If I’m buy MapCare in February 2019 does not that mean that I have updates from November 2018 to November 2021 ? Probably legally they can’t activate it from November 2017 because from May 2018 until to February 2019 I can’t update maps and I’m use old maps almost 6 months…

I have installed 189 maps and I’m upgrade from 187. On Seat web page show that 0189 maps are outdated and download link download P189. Are this not same ones I think they are? What is release date for P189? I ‘m also try half year ago P192 and now P195. Are P195 compatible with unit(If FEC is valid)?

About retrofitters does they do remote help/rescue if something is wrong(I’m from EU)?

My unit is 5F0035020F and I have VirtualCockpit if that make some difference… Hardware version is H54 and software version is 1219. FullLink and Android Auto is activated by factory… I will first check Option 2 because by quick read of your post looks like best for me…

Thanks again.

Tell

Staff member
Hi Tell, thanks for your fast reply... I need to read thread from my last post and your provided links to analyze all and select less invasive method ...

Car has been build in factory in May 2018. If I’m buy MapCare in February 2019 does not that mean that I have updates from November 2018 to November 2021 ? Probably legally they can’t activate it from November 2017 because from May 2018 until to February 2019 I can’t update maps and I’m use old maps almost 6 months…

I have installed 189 maps and I’m upgrade from 187. On Seat web page show that 0189 maps are outdated and download link download P189. Are this not same ones I think they are? What is release date for P189? I ‘m also try half year ago P192 and now P195. Are P195 compatible with unit(If FEC is valid)?

About retrofitters does they do remote help/rescue if something is wrong(I’m from EU)?

My unit is 5F0035020F and I have VirtualCockpit if that make some difference… Hardware version is H54 and software version is 1219. FullLink and Android Auto is activated by factory… I will first check Option 2 because by quick read of your post looks like best for me…

Thanks again.
Well it seems you are in luck if you have 1219 since mib tool should work with that. You stick with your current firmware release. Basically it replaces a piece of code with another piece of code and then a simple txt file contains additional FeCs which you can edit yourself. The supplied ones contain the lifelong navigation FeC, AA and Full Link plus the performance FeC and off road. Basically you get the lot. Basically when you run Mib Tool it adds those to your list. You can also revert the module edit so if the piece of code entered doesn't work, the previous piece of code gets put back. This assumes that mib tool is working as it should. Im sure it does. The only thing I would say is I'm not sure how it would see the invalid ones you have. Suspect that would not be a problem... you might still see those plus the new ones.

On your second paragraph no you would get the period at that time. I guess whoever worked on your car messed up your FeCs by not installing them correctly. You could go back and get them to sort them out but given you only have a short update window left if it was fixed you might as well plan ahead to life long FeCs.

The 195 maps would be compatible with your unit if the FeC was valid, currently from your list it isn't. It was only the 193 release that would not work with the Seat FeC even if it was a valid Seat FeC. Mib Tool allowed you to enter the Skoda FeC so it would.

As far as the UK is concerned associates of East Yorkshire Retrofit offer the FeC service and firmware updates onsite for the mib2 high or postal service of the unit, so that was my back up plan if I messed the unit up myself. With the support of the other thread and one guy in particular I stuck with my current firmware as I said, which gave birth to mib tool working with 1338 firmware. He gave me the edited module to upload into the unit. We kept it hobbyist based. As said the module for yours already exists so the only question is those invalid FeCs. I guess the unit just ignores them so it would work fine. I guess some people would say on that thread just update the firmware and go for the AO release. That's more drastic whilst the mib tool with your existing firmware should be reversible if it goes wrong / doesn't work.

If you are to go with the mib tool solution you probably need to post up your questions on the software thread so this one doesn't go off on a tangent.

Reactions: _Dejan_

_Dejan_

Mar 20, 2018
Hi Tell,

Now I’m quick read all 40 pages of this thread and need to read all Firmware Update thread to see what issues I can expect...
My Car came with ALL possible Seat option except MapCare which I order separate and need to clear with dealer why they extend original FEC for 3 years and not from order date... :)
What about P192 update? Is compatible with seat(If FEC is valid)?

But about FEC's and all other FW related things I will continue in FW Update thread(And quote your last post from here) when I will complete reading...

Tell

Staff member
Hi Tell,

Now I’m quick read all 40 pages of this thread and need to read all Firmware Update thread to see what issues I can expect...
My Car came with ALL possible Seat option except MapCare which I order separate and need to clear with dealer why they extend original FEC for 3 years and not from order date... :)
What about P192 update? Is compatible with seat(If FEC is valid)?

But about FEC's and all other FW related things I will continue in FW Update thread(And quote your last post from here) when I will complete reading...
The June 2021 release 192 (I think I called 193 above) did not contain the matching FeC for Seat so it didn't work with Seat cars. I haven't read why this happended but the November 2021, 195 does. Retrofit mib2 highs with a liberal sprinkle of FeCs in them found it did work on Seat mib2 highs with either Audi, Skoda or VW FeCs. It just doesn't show you the Seat map part number. So it did work with Seats if they had one of those FeCs added to the list.

Retrofitters in their business activity use a program called Whatthefec with the unit on a bench to write the FeC. Mib Tool does the same activity but in situ in the car cutting out the need to extract the unit from the car and cutting out the need for a retrofitter if you are good with computers. Basically it's an app which is placed in the green menu and is simple to use if your unit has the matching firmware it works with. It was written by Chillout who has been working with these units for years. I call them the Mib Collective part since they are a not for profit collective of enthusiasts.

As far as FeCs are concerned the mib2 units fitted to the sporty cars get the performance menu whilst the off road get the off road menu. Mib Tools gives you both so I have the performance screen now if I want. Too much of a distraction so I don't bring it up. These are suppressed menus which it unlocks. So yes you get an extra menu option.

_Dejan_

Mar 20, 2018
Today Im try update maps to 195 but looks like something is wrong... It update from 0% to 100% in around 15-25 minutes but then stuck at 100% for more than 20 minutes and then I need to leave car... I use same card as allways(SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO 95MB/s) Will see what will happen when I will came back after work(I know that normal update continue from where it has been stopped)...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.