VW TDi Emissions software scandal

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
As far as understand the diesel cars are still better for the environment in terms of CO2 emissions so Percy Polar and those with houses dipping into the sea are fine, it's more those people who don't like poisonous gases in their lungs who we should be apologising to.

You'll be doing #5 then.good luck........ :)

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
Do we yet have any verifiable source (other than Wikipedia ) on which engine codes are which type of engine? I'm interested in where the information is coming from...

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
coor shee kay ka butt, coor shee kay ka butt. :rofl:

My old cupra sounded a bit like that towards the end...:happy:

You do realise that most of the yoofs on here will have no idea what we are on about .....
Remember when he drank too much cider? :rofl:

MaximusDoom

Oct 2, 2014
Nottingham, UK
Here's some info you may find useful:
http://www.seat.com/owners/diesel-engines/faq.html

And, according to this:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...uiOSunEiCrBwblCWw&sig2=x04ZOEsyrQ0LXQUZ42s45A

I have a EA288 motor in my January 2013 LEON FR 184PS.

As this page shows a EA189 motor (You may have to hit translate to read it all):
http://www.vwgolf.pl/2015/09/24/lista-silnikow-ea189/

You can clearly see the Diesel Particulate Filter is vertical on the EA189 motor, as stated in a previous post, and horizontal on the EA288 motor. If you check down the back of your engine you will clearly see that its either horizontal or vertical. This is how I checked mine.

My V5C log book, on page 2, section 4, P.5 Engine number states : CUP "xxxxxx"
And my service book/Car Maintenance Program Book has the sticker in front showing: 3. CUPA

This, hopefully, provides a little more conformation for a few of you guys. ;)

Last edited:

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
How come they kept the same engine specifications (changing only the DPF orientation as it seems :D) yet the emissions are on average 20-30 times higher on older Leons compared to the newer ones? Is it only software? And why wasn't this software installed on older engines in the first place if it can keep power/torque the same? Something doesn't quite come out.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
How come they kept the same engine specifications (changing only the DPF orientation as it seems :D) yet the emissions are on average 20-30 times higher on older Leons compared to the newer ones? Is it only software? And why wasn't this software installed on older engines in the first place if it can keep power/torque the same? Something doesn't quite come out.

The EA288 engine only shares some of the lower engine parts with the EA189

The cylinder head, valve system, cat & dpf, cooling system and egr system are all different between the engines.

Last edited:

Houghsx

Aug 11, 2015
Been physically looking at my engine and its the EA288 based on the pics earlier. My car is the 184FR TDi DSG (2016/64 plate). My service book states Cuna on the sticker (#3)

Apr 12, 2010
Supposedly the EA288 only shares the cylinder spacing with the EA189, Incidentally I have an EA288 150 FR.

hydrostatik

Sep 14, 2015
Hertfordshire
Been physically looking at my engine and its the EA288 based on the pics earlier. My car is the 184FR TDi DSG (2016/64 plate). My service book states Cuna on the sticker (#3)

Same here, I have a 65 plate 184FR manual and V5C states CUNA under engine details.

I took delivery last Friday and I think the story broke around the same time. If mine is affected then it probably doesn't make that much difference overall in the real world however if it is affected then I will go full on crazy at Seat/VAG and point blank refuse any retrograde works.

I purchased a brand new car based on the info available, if the car is no longer in line with those specs then I require compensation based on my purchase. Its the principle of the whole thing really, not so much the actual ramifications.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.