what have you done to your car today ?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I managed to patch and blend a spot on my front bumper so i tried to repeat that success on the wings (both had small dents)

Even though i was using mixed 2k base coat and 2k clear, i couldnt get the new and old patches to blend, they glossed up perfect but you could see the difference in lacquers/base coats. Very disappointed but now i know its better to do the whole panel lol

I think your silver will be easier to blend as its light, this plat silver is very metallic and you can see the new vs old glitter

my golden rule is lots of water and 2500 grit then compound polish with a foam pad once clear has hardened, with 2k clear it comes up wicked.

I've been watching lots of videos on YouTube, so I'm sure I can do a professional standard job now.

Actually looking forward to doing it, to be honest - the lacquer peel and little surface scratches have annoyed me for years, not to mention that mark from when I put a cardboard box on the roof...

Worth putting it out there - I don't want to stump up for a polisher, but I do have a random orbital sander and I know you can get buffing pads for it. Can I use that, or is it best just to go down the hands and elbow grease route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
I've been watching lots of videos on YouTube, so I'm sure I can do a professional standard job now.

Actually looking forward to doing it, to be honest - the lacquer peel and little surface scratches have annoyed me for years, not to mention that mark from when I put a cardboard box on the roof...

Worth putting it out there - I don't want to stump up for a polisher, but I do have a random orbital sander and I know you can get buffing pads for it. Can I use that, or is it best just to go down the hands and elbow grease route?

As long as it’s a random orbital then it’ll be fine with polishing pads

Reactions: iammooks

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex

Polishing by hand is what I have been doing, it takes hours and your arms will be dead. I don’t recommend it lol

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Polishing by hand is what I have been doing, it takes hours and your arms will be dead. I don’t recommend it lol

Reminds me of the time I clay-barred the car for the first time. With the constant standing and crouching thrown in, I couldn't move for the best part of a week.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018

8a03ff15d04afcf9bf39c4a4f7d3c16e.jpg

My buddy and I just did a Wash/claybar/compound/polish/wax treatment... it’s amazing how great the paint looks and feels! This is during compound. I’ll post pics tonight when I’m back in the garage or the after. I’m sure the car had never been polished or even washed often the last 20 years

Reactions: lightup

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
I wouldn't bet on it, says the voice of bitter experience a grand out of pocket!
Try £4500 just got quoted today for just the parts alone to repair the head on a 2009 Volvo V70 D5!!
It’s going somewhere else for a reconditioned one- still gonna be a couple of grand but it’s better than the 6 it would be if I went with the first option. Not happy. :(

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Try £4500 just got quoted today for just the parts alone to repair the head on a 2009 Volvo V70 D5!!
It’s going somewhere else for a reconditioned one- still gonna be a couple of grand but it’s better than the 6 it would be if I went with the first option. Not happy. :(

Ooooft, hope you get it sorted without too hefty a bill

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
A few years back the engine in our Kia Sportage destroyed itself one month before the 7 year warranty thing ran out - Kia replaced the engine but said it would have cost north of 6k if we had to pay for it. My A3 3.2 cost nearly 2k just for the timing chains to be replaced , I've just spent 200-300 on the LCR and look like I need to spend another 1k (ish)......owning vehicles is the 2nd biggest money pit to having kids !!

lightup

May 27, 2019
After 40k km of driving back on working on the car again due to crack in exhaust side of turbo. Something got in the cooling line . So been struggling to fit the new hybrid correctly. Snail work.
026d8aa77e981dbe85fdb2479b83bcfd.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
Nothing.... been to busy at work and not had time... popped in to workshop .. the near side rear arch had started popped off . So used stikaflex/tiger seal and 'resxrewd it back to hold it in position. As it drys
But that's all so far. In couple weeks I am popping up to see @Nizza to buy some from him

CooptoCupra

Mar 2, 2013
Leicestershire
Continued trying to fix my list of bits and pieces to get my LCR back on the road after being Sorn'd for around a year and a half I think, not all done today obvs

I'm not overly mechanically skilled but gave it all my best shot

Fixed brake lights that were stuck on

Fixed the both the leaking door seals, no more water on the sills or pools in the rear footwells

Replaced my starter motor as the other one was getting really lazy, old one came out covered in black dust if that means anything

Replaced torn turbo intake pipe with Badger 5 one

Replaced upper crankcase breather pipe with silicon one

Replaced lower crankcase breather pipe

Replaced broken/snapped pcv elbow breather pipe

Replaced hockey puck pipe with silicone one

Changed wipers

Started to clean the interior to freshen it up

Thanks to Thai Wronghorse on here for help with parts and knowledge!!

Off for MOT tomorrow..... Send me luck!

If she passes she'll get a proper clean and polish....
f6158d0b79a18becdb9dec6bd726e8aa.jpg
c77045605321bc1f233d88c5530a2bfc.jpg
5611125192873bc2abe71782ab132515.jpg
d9dc95a64639e8d226540777fa3bafff.jpg
ad1deb522e2f39f2c3153b5f9d2ff529.jpg
27f88d81705bc59e0c0109552b80d6b2.jpg
3e8e351e75f53c67ba27b54a3174364a.jpg
38843a2a54bfec00ec11e4ff76e8b39b.jpg
a65c7d6fb79c28430abc2f0f4afe21f6.jpg
8ce96fa47cfe5d13d09e4fc2d3a3b8d5.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited: