what have you done to your car today ?

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Waterpump died on me 2 days before someone wanted to come buy the car... typical

Replaced waterpump and timing belt and tensioner! Wasn’t such a hard job! Nice to have a workshop to use though

1335d22035a55ea1fef1f440054343bb.jpg

e140be8e8fa0ca96b65d1f97d879cbf4.jpg

2d7c76528566ea9b33656ab87f81a18a.jpg

971c6e176ccf0294407343643331055e.jpg

1c8f0babde6485b14533b56ce53d4941.jpg

823846539605ac345cfca74dadfe5129.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Tried to make some adjustments to my air filter housing. Got a badger5 intake pipe (Tip?) and its not the best fit.When fitted to a standard air filter housing it doent fit onto the airflow meter very well.So with a bit of jiggery pokery, raised the rear of the filter housing a little to take the pressure off the pipe. But to be honest i think a cone filter (eugh) is on the cards.

Rich

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Tried to make some adjustments to my air filter housing. Got a badger5 intake pipe (Tip?) and its not the best fit.When fitted to a standard air filter housing it doent fit onto the airflow meter very well.So with a bit of jiggery pokery, raised the rear of the filter housing a little to take the pressure off the pipe. But to be honest i think a cone filter (eugh) is on the cards.

Rich
I had to faff around with mine as well mate and like yourself was kind of reluctant to go with a cone filter but after so heavy reading the standard air box was proven to be a considerable restriction on these engines and counter intuitive to installing an oversized TIP anyway.

Another thing to bare in mind is a heatshield as they do vary in size and placement which in turn also created more headaches for me installing this set up.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rich.T

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
I had to faff around with mine as well mate and like yourself was kind of reluctant to go with a cone filter but after so heavy reading the standard air box was proven to be a considerable restriction on these engines and counter intuitive to installing an oversized TIP anyway.

Another thing to bare in mind is a heatshield as they do vary in size and placement which in turn also created more headaches for me installing this set up.

Hey Thai I dropped you a pm bud :) cheers

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020

Ok, id better have a look for one then.
Ram Air seem popular.
Better check my bank balance again......

Last edited:

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
The list of things I've got to do is growing daily. Mentioned a few weeks back that I lost power on a drive home, and the engine just doesn't have as much power as I remember. Looking around, sounds like that's the old TDI turbo vanes issue, so will be doing that. Pancake pipe was caked in grubbiness when I last looked at it, so it's probably that.

If I've got time, I might have a go at cleaning the intake manifold too, but that's on the list with removing rust and repainting inside the offside rear door, repairing lacquer peel, cutting and polishing and fitting new pedals.

Is the turbo vane Mr Muscle job a straightforward one? It seems pretty important...

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020

Got a cone filter on order.
Do these need spraying with filter oil?
Looking at the k&n stuff on ebay, it says its for cotton panel filters.

Rich

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Which filter did you order exactly?
I went with the Pro-Ram on mine.
Also I wouldn't recommend an oil fliter as they're renowned for killing MAFs.

Reactions: Rich.T

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Is the turbo vane Mr Muscle job a straightforward one? It seems pretty important...

Yeh, its pretty easy to do if you can lift the front up to get under there.

Theres a chap on YouTube with a MK4 Golf that does diesel turbo clean with oven cleaner.

Did it loads on my old car as i had a 10 minute commute every day and only ever got to full temp at the weekends.
Dont forget to work the actuator whilst you are doing it.

Also protective goggles, gloves etc a must.

Rich

Reactions: iammooks

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I was off work thursday and yesterday.
Came back today and there were 2 packages waiting for me.
New air filter with heat shield and dogbone polly bushes.
Going to try and fit them after work (12pm),

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
I was off work thursday and yesterday.
Came back today and there were 2 packages waiting for me.
New air filter with heat shield and dogbone polly bushes.
Going to try and fit them after work (12pm),

Make sure you soak the dog-bone mount bolts with plus-gas/wd40 etc as they have a tendency to shear

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Ruined my car!

Fitted the air filter and dogbone bushes.

The bushes will be for sale next week.
And will be fitting a new standard dogbone and bushes.

Its made it sound like a track car. Which might be good for some but not me.

Cant comment on the air filter as i havnt been able to hear it yet lol

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.