what have you done to your car today ?

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Lol. Thai is a god! Got a care package of bits off him today. Watched my temp
Gauge do some freaky **** so I’m assuming the thermostat is on it’s way out. I’ll add it to the list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Took ages to start to climb. Then shot to about 2mm past 90. Then fluctuated a few times between 70-90 done some reading and asked my dad when he dropped the presents off. Seems a good place to start

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Was it doing this whilst idling or driving around as fluctuations like that id be inclined to think it was a problem with the coolant temperature sensor rather than the thermostat.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Intresting. While driving at a steady speed. I may replace both as they’re cheap. Can’t hurt surely she’s 18 years old now lol

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
If the CTS has never been changed and still the old black one then you can almost guarantee it's knackered.
Later revision sensors are green.

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Mine is green. I only know that because I saw it when I deleted sai

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Yeah I definately think for the sake of £20 it can’t hurt to change them

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Fitted the new wiper mech courtesy of Thai! All gleaming again. I thought the driveshaft would’ve fixed my knock but no. It’s when my wheels are straight so I’m thinking roll bar now...... how do you test this? .

Also I’ve noticed my temp gauge is less erratic when AC is off. And I may need to do a rocker gasket... dirty engine bay

Reactions: Thai-wronghorse

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
MOT this morning.
I had to change the nsf door lock today. Whilst i was in there, i put a new regulator in too. I bought a VAG one for my old car and never fitted it.

I decided to replace the offside strut top bearing etc.
Couldnt get close to getting the shock out of the hub so decided to undo the bottom ball joint. Sheared a stud in the bottom arm.
Walked away.

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
IMG_20201031_121102_279.jpg

Interim oil change at 6,000 mile interval. The 'other' change gets done properly via the sump and gets all the filters changed. Filled back up with Castrol Edge Professional Titanium (very cheap on Amazon at the moment for the rare 5L bottle).

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
MOT this morning.
I had to change the nsf door lock today. Whilst i was in there, i put a new regulator in too. I bought a VAG one for my old car and never fitted it.

I decided to replace the offside strut top bearing etc.
Couldnt get close to getting the shock out of the hub so decided to undo the bottom ball joint. Sheared a stud in the bottom arm.
Walked away.

These posts always give me the fear.

What's the plan? How do you get bolts out when they're sheared anyway?

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
These posts always give me the fear.

What's the plan? How do you get bolts out when they're sheared anyway?

They frequently break on removal. The Cupra R has a studded ball joint plate so will need replacement if they snap.
The non R ball joints use a bolt and captive nut on a plate configuration so if these snap just bin and replace the nut plate and bolts but then for what complete ball joints cost I'd simply fit a new one anyway.

Reactions: iammooks

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Im going to put a pair of bottom arms on it.
The inner bushes look a little moody anyway.
I'll do the top bearing n bush at the same time.

Ive sead it before and I'll say it again.
They're bloody money pits!

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I was going to replace my lower arms a couple of years ago but in the end the bushes weren't the problem but it was the track rods that needed replacing. I keep hearing about people having to replace the ball joints and mine are 160k old. I'd much rather be able to deal with what's probably going to happen when I take them out rather than get to it and have something snap on me.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Ive found a place that do the (cast) arms for £80 each.
I wont be asking TPS. They quoted me about £140 for a front coil spring. I dont even want to know what they charge for bottom arms

Reactions: Manic172

LCR AL

Jun 5, 2020
Got the old girl mot'd today, finally!
Had to replace a rear caliper for the retest which didn't go smoothly but got there in the end.

I also had a balljoint bolt snap when fitting coilover and lower arm bushes, always the way. When you've finished the main work a bolt snaps right at the end! Cheap to replace though.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk