what have you done to your car today ?

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
Tried to fit these new center caps. Epic fail, they are too big for my rims :(

71e4AbMGylL._SL1500_.jpg

Dude I hate the world of center caps. Dozens of sizes, too hard to find compatible ones.

Is there an easy fix or should I return them?
Try these guys on ebay. They will do custom badges
Progress
1036ac3d8562e5330e65dc067ac06d4d.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk
Loving that colour man

lightup

May 27, 2019
It looks brilliant mate. Who done the wrap. I had a go at a roof and all I can say is I went for the wrinkly effect lol. It's a lot harder then it looks. And also you need the good stuff to start with
Thanks. I did myself over the weekend. Wrapped my brothers car also actually. But your right, you got to start with the right stuff to begin with. and since its my job its cheaper for me to wrap the whole car as painting just some sideskirts and doorguards. So that and mismatching color bumpers made me decide to wrap it. Ibhope to finish wrapping the sideskirts tonight so i can finally fit them. Think its actually the last cupra r part i need.
8084dda31ee09a7f09dd95bc95fd7a65.jpg
5d7b2539eead08e9ba00bccea5272ee3.jpg
f8a1de29744a1ca47e9c693229bff532.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

Last edited:

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
The 'Battery' light doesn't actually relate to the battery at all, it's purely to show that the charging system isn't charging the battery.
As 'Chaki' said above, check the alternator belt is ok, and then check with the multimeter that you have over 14 volts at the battery terminals when the engine is running.

Drove from Brighton to my parents' place in Dorset a couple of days ago, and no issues on the drive. I've just popped out to check the alternator belt and everything's running smoothly. More recently I've either been making short trips or leaving the car for long periods, so it could have been something to do with that. I'll try to get hold of a multimeter - I thought my dad would have one, but no luck so far.

Thanks for the help!

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Finally got round to checking on the rear brake caliper. I mentioned here a few months ago that the pedal was hard and the offside rear disc wasn't being cleared while the others were.

Took everything apart and cleaned it all up using brake cleaner. I thought that it might be the pins that had seized and the pads weren't returning, but they were smooth and clean. Wound back the caliper for good measure. Took the disc off as well and noticed that there was a mark on both sides from where the handbrake had obviously been left on for a good while, so cleaned that off as best as I could. Put it all back together again and turned the engine over and pumped the brakes, and everything felt smooth, with maybe a little more travel on the pedal than before, but none of the hardness I was getting.

Haven't done a road test yet, but will probably pop out in a little while and go round the block.

Hard to believe I replaced this caliper in January. The state of it...

Leon Rear Brakes.JPG

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Haven't done a road test yet, but will probably pop out in a little while and go round the block.
View attachment 12077

Brake test went fine, but it's only clearing the outer 2/3 of the disc. I'm starting to think that when the caliper seized, it caused uneven wear on the pads. When I got a new caliper, I didn't replace the pads, so that might be the root of the problem. When I took the pads off, I could feel that the inner edge (the bit closest to the hub) was more worn than the outer edge.

Say I were to replace the pads, the discs are only about 12-18 months old and I've not done more than 4,000 miles in that time, I'm guessing I could get away with not changing the discs? They look fine, without any pitting or grooves, but I know looks can be deceiving...

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
If the discs have no grooves and no wobble then you you should be good with new pads, just bed them in nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks - new Brembo pads will only cost me £13 from Euros, so I'll pick those up on Friday. It'll give me a chance to jack the car up and check the bearings for play in any case - something else I've been meaning to do.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Do you have the helper springs on the rear calipers?? For £6 it’s well worth the addition and helps return the handbrake arm (have a look on google)

Reactions: iammooks

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Clutch went kaboom on Christmas Eve. Just trundling along at 70 on the motorway and it's only on 75k. Towed home by the RAC and need to get some prices on Friday.

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
Drove from Brighton to my parents' place in Dorset a couple of days ago, and no issues on the drive. I've just popped out to check the alternator belt and everything's running smoothly. More recently I've either been making short trips or leaving the car for long periods, so it could have been something to do with that. I'll try to get hold of a multimeter - I thought my dad would have one, but no luck so far.

Thanks for the help!
Are you getting any screeching at all? If so get the belt replaced, there about a tenna n 10 min to change. Just take note how the belt sits on the pulleys before swapping. Make sure u get the double sided belt. Uv got the lcr right?

Reactions: iammooks

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
Tried to fight the crinbo cupra urge but gave in. Just a lil bit of tinshill thia year. Dearnt put the reath on the front grill again after the debadge as id knack all my efforts lol
20191226_030112.jpg
20191224_110644.jpg

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
Anybody know of a decent plug to delete the aerial? Never listen to the radio and wen datas down its best of chuck berry on cd player. After market onw as the 6cd changer doesnt work. Delete beat... :blink:
Need a glove box insert.

Reactions: Manic172

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
Anybody know of a decent plug to delete the aerial? Never listen to the radio and wen datas down its best of chuck berry on cd player. After market onw as the 6cd changer doesnt work. Delete beat... :blink:
Need a glove box insert.

Hopefully later I going to do some work on my car. The aerial is out so I can measure the holes yo see what you need.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Do you have the helper springs on the rear calipers?? For £6 it’s well worth the addition and helps return the handbrake arm (have a look on google)

Pretty sure I do - I haven't bought any myself, but if they came as standard, they're still on there. I'll check to make sure tomorrow though - and will probably use first gear/reverse more in future as well to stop it from sticking.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Are you getting any screeching at all? If so get the belt replaced, there about a tenna n 10 min to change. Just take note how the belt sits on the pulleys before swapping. Make sure u get the double sided belt. Uv got the lcr right?

It's the FR TDI, but if it needs it, it's not a big job and I've done it before. In my mind I did it a couple of years ago, but it was probably more like ten years ago, knowing me...

Reactions: bigT's lcr
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members