JamJay's 290bhp Ovni Yellow LCR - Latest: SOLD & Replaced With A BMW 335i Cabrio

Which Cat-Back System Should I Choose?

• Longlife Custom 3" Non-Resonated - £429 Fitted

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Hayward & Scott (Essex) 3" Non-Resonated - £550 Fitted

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Blueflame 2.76" Non-Resonated - £400 Delivered

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Milltek 2.76" > 3" Non-Resonated - £400 Delivered

Votes: 38 39.2%
  • Powerflow Custom 3" Non-Resonated - £330 Fitted

Votes: 26 26.8%

• Total voters

JamJay

California Bound
Thanks UFO, the respray was definitely worth it :).

Hi James, the Collinite is performing very well still. I gave it a top up a couple of weeks back but to be honest the car didn't need it. Normally i'll wash the car and give it a going over with Dodo Juice Red Mist in between my 3 or 4mthly details.
'
I've now moved house so I hope this October will be my first 'free' month with cash again, I'll know what I have to spend instead of holding money back for unexpected bills :). I think that I will be going for coilovers but perhaps a little more than the 50mm that I first thought, 60mm perhaps but no more. I'd like to have the top of the tyre almost level with the arch and to compliment the look, I'll be moving the 10mm spacers to the front axle and buying some 15mm for the rear.

Last edited:

_chris_

Jul 6, 2008
in the car

Hi James, the Collinite is performing very well still. I gave it a top up a couple of weeks back but to be honest the car didn't need it. Normally i'll wash the car and give it a going over with Dodo Juice Red Mist in between my 3 or 4mthly details.
'
I've now moved house so I hope this October will be my first 'free' month with cash again, I'll know what I have to spend instead of holding money back for unexpected bills :). I think that I will be going for coilovers but perhaps a little more than the 50mm that I first thought, 60mm perhaps but no more. I'd like to have the top of the tyre almost level with the arch and to compliment the look, I'll be moving the 10mm spacers to the front axle and buying some 15mm for the rear.

ive got mine set with the arch about the same level as the wheel, and it scraps alot! lol
but i do live around bumpy roads and hills.

_chris_

Jul 6, 2008
in the car
Pics a-plenty, Super ;)

What suspension kit are you using Chris? Where do you find it scrapes, on the arch liner or the lip of the arch? Are you using any spacers?

ive got kw v2.

it scrapes on the splitter and the undertray thing, but as i said i do live round alot of small lanes. mine does catch the arch liner a bit on full lock but i think thats down to me missing one of the screws holding it on.

i dont have spacers.

other than that i love it. feels sooooo much better!!

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk

'

Hi JamJay,

I hope you don’t mind but I’ve attached a couple of pics that I thought you might appreciate (hopefully?)

These pictures of my LCR were taken this evening. I have 15mm H&R spacers on the rear and 5mm H&R spacers on the front. I thought you might like to see the position of the wheels.
Rear:
P1010494.jpg

Rear:
P1010487.jpg

Front:
P1010500.jpg

I found, personally, that 10mm spacers fitted at the front bought the wheel out just a little too much. However, I don’t have the car lowered so it may look better when dropped 60mm or so….. :-o Of course, it’s down to personal opinion. The rear stance looks so much better!

Hope the house move went well and all is settled? Look forward to seeing the pictures after your next set of mods.

Thanks,

James.

George 3G

KW & Weitec
Jul 28, 2009
Herefordshire
Hi all, update!

Today I fitted 10mm H&R spacers to the rear. I am rather impressed, I thought the difference would be negligable but it's actually improved the handling more than I expected. A quick blast around some tight corners that would normally losen the rear end didn't manage to do so today, the rear feels alot more stable & I feel a little more confident around bends.

As for mods, this will be the last one this month as it's maintenance time. Next up (November)...Cambelt & full respray in it's original colour...Ovni Yellow :). I can't wait!

Image015.jpg

Image003-2.jpg

Image002.jpg

Hi mate, car looks great. are these hubcentric spacers, if so I guess they fitted over the rear spiggot ok?

Thanks

George

JamJay

California Bound
Hi James, sorry for the delay in the reply. Thanks very much for the pics, the position of the wheels looks spot on actually, perhaps the 10mm will be too much. No matter any how as I am sure it'll be easy to shift some cheap H&Rs in good condition :).

I am still hunting down the coilovers, personally looking to take another route other than KW V1/Weitec/AP so lets see what I can come up with. If I draw a blank then I'll probably settle for the Weitecs.

The house move is all done and I'm settled so now it's time to get back on the car for sure however, the only new parts fitted this month are coilpacks..well they had to blow eventually I guess :D.

Hi George, yes these are hubcentric spacers and IMO you need them at 10mm or above because there wouldn't be enough of the hub for the wheel to sit on if they weren't hubcentric. The fitment was perfect, they came with the correct centre bore for the MK4 Golf platform which I think is 57.1mm but don't quote me. I hope that helps :).

JamJay

California Bound
I went for the Weitec Hi-Con GT. I thought long and hard about it and spending the extra cash on KW's or damping adjustables etc isn't practical for me, especially for a car that lives in a garage 6 days a week and will likely only see a track once or twice next year. Still, I am fairly confident that with the stiffened bushes that I have, these coilovers and ARBs, it'll still be quite a weapon...I hope.

h7 cya

Jun 3, 2009
great news you must be over the moon!!! did you manage to find a second hand set? noticed theres been a few knocking around on here of late.

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
Good choice JamJay, I've got them fitted on my car and I'm very happy with them. They massively improved the handling on my car, far surpassing my expectations.... they're only marginally stiffer than standard, but it now corner like its on rail. For the money they can't be beat!

I really cant wait to see how it drives with uprated ARB, as by all accounts this improves the handling to a similar amount.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on them once you've got them fitted.

JamJay

California Bound
I've bought them brand new, I got a really good deal on them so it was too hard to pass up for another month. I nearly bought a set of second hand KW V2's at a good price but was just pipped to them. Still, I saved some more cash which I'll put towards some 15mm spacers and a Neuspeed 25mm ARB but I'll fit at a later date so I can appreciate how each of the mods makes a difference :).

Keep subscribed and I'll post my review up as soon as they're done, hopefully this weekend or the following one depending on the weather.

shaun.

converted
Mar 26, 2010
leicester
looking good mate i do love the lcr in yellow. i was looking at yellow but ended up with black and yes its stone chipped pretty badly

JamJay

California Bound
Suspension Arrived.

Thanks Aimee and Shaun.

Well these arrived yesterday taking a massive 24hours to reach me. A BIG thank you to Damian @ DPM Performance!

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTAtMjAxMDEwMDctMTMzMS5qcGc.jpg

Now I have a question about them. Where you see the second spring, you'll see a green sleeve behind it, under this is a little black disk that slides up and down when you tip the strut upside down and back again. Obviously the car will spend no time upside down (touch wood) but do I need to remove this disk at the same time that I remove the black rubbers that hide behind the top spring? I just worry that this little disk will rattle and annoy me.

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
God that was quick, bet you cant wait to get them fitted now! Not sure about the black disk as i didn't fit mine, I'm adjusting them the weekend so i can have a look for you then if you want?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.