The 2019 Leon Copra 290 thread

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
The DSG farts are nowhere near as loud as the older 290/300 model. I also find that the tyre noise drowns out the over-run pops.

I agree, the farts aren't nearly as loud. The over-run pops can be quite loud though.

Otherwise it's a fantastic car, stupendous on the go performance compared with my old 280.

If I had to guess, I'd say this would dyno well over 290, probably closer to 320.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RZ46 and Peller

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I agree, the farts aren't nearly as loud. The over-run pops can be quite loud though.

If I had to guess, I'd say this would dyno well over 290, probably closer to 320.

I echo that the over-run pops can get quite loud.

As mentioned previously in manual 1st or 2nd gear 4>3k revs -everytime.

I much prefer to have the deeper warbly tone over the the louder DSG bangs.

As your earlier video shows the farts sound very different from the outside.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
As your earlier video shows the farts sound very different from the outside.

I'm quite sure they're louder from the outside. I'm still waiting for some GoPro mounts so I can actually check.

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh

I wouldn't be surprised tbh. The 280's always put over 300 on the dyno. There is a definite new found shove in mid range in the new 290. I've had a good drive in the pre WLTP Cupra 300 DSG and you can tell that there is something different. It'll maybe be the gearing on the 7 speed but the 290 is crazy when on the move.

It's that deep burble on the exhaust that gets you though. It actually sounds purposeful at last!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
Hi this is a great video. So this is The latest 2019 290 cupra. Mind is coming in March. How you finding the car? Fast I take it. Can't wait to get mine and I hope it makes these sounds too!
Thanks! When I drove the car the first couple of times I thought it was stupendously fast, but you do get used to that a bit. Don't get me wrong, it still feels proper fast, but the "what the f*ck" feeling does wear off a little. I really hope I receive the mounts soon, they're taking forever!!

Mystery290

Nov 13, 2018
Newcastle upon Tyne
Has anybody else seen this recently added video on YouTube? Shows a 2019 290 driving through a tunnel, in the comments the chap claims it has a res delete, surely that’s not all it has for it to be so aggressive compared to the very quiet standard cars with GPF? Sounds fantastic!

Reactions: Smolyneux85

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
I don't think it can be the latest model as the badge on the steering wheel is silver. Unless it's one of the pre-copra models.

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
I thought that at first, although to be fair a lot of the non-UK cars seem to still have silver badges fitted as standard? Plus it seems to have the latest digital cockpit?
Yeah good point that view is only on the latest ones, I know once the exhaust beds in its throaty and pops on the downshifts/overun but that one sounds a lot for just a res delete.

Reactions: Mystery290

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
I thought that at first, although to be fair a lot of the non-UK cars seem to still have silver badges fitted as standard? Plus it seems to have the latest digital cockpit?
I think they're mostly copper logos now, even the ones in Mexico.

The video sounds like a 300, especially with the gear shifts. The new 7 speed doesn't fart all that much, only when you rev it really high or push it very hard.

I really wish my gopro mounts would finally show up so I can finally make some proper Copra exhaust vids. I have a feeling they lost the packages somewhere between china and here...

Mystery290

Nov 13, 2018
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yeah good point that view is only on the latest ones, I know once the exhaust beds in its throaty and pops on the downshifts/overun but that one sounds a lot for just a res delete.

Yeah I had read that the exhaust itself requires some ‘bedding in’ as it changes in tone as it soots up. It seems like a night and day difference to the other 290s I’ve seen on here and on YouTube so I’m thinking it has more than a res delete...

I think they're mostly copper logos now, even the ones in Mexico.

The video sounds like a 300, especially with the gear shifts. The new 7 speed doesn't fart all that much, only when you rev it really high or push it very hard.

I really wish my gopro mounts would finally show up so I can finally make some proper Copra exhaust vids. I have a feeling they lost the packages somewhere between china and here...

I saw your initial video and thought it still sounded quite loud despite the additional GPF - I’m wondering if the pops and farts are still hiding and come back to life once the resonator is removed, as on the 5dr at least they are effectively double muted with the additional GPF and the resonator?

Hopefully I’ll be able to answer the question shortly as my car arrives on Friday and I already have the res delete kit from Vagsport to fit on Sunday
:clap:

Reactions: TheLuckys

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
I saw your initial video and thought it still sounded quite loud despite the additional GPF - I’m wondering if the pops and farts are still hiding and come back to life once the resonator is removed, as on the 5dr at least they are effectively double muted with the additional GPF and the resonator?

Hopefully I’ll be able to answer the question shortly as my car arrives on Friday and I already have the res delete kit from Vagsport to fit on Sunday
:clap:

It's gotten even louder since then. It's still a very deep throaty sound, presumably due to the GPF. If the car in the video is a post WLTP 290, they must've removed both the res and the GPF. I'm really curious how yours will sound with the res delete!

Mystery290

Nov 13, 2018
Newcastle upon Tyne
It's gotten even louder since then. It's still a very deep throaty sound, presumably due to the GPF. If the car in the video is a post WLTP 290, they must've removed both the res and the GPF. I'm really curious how yours will sound with the res delete!

I agree - the difference seems too great to be res delete alone. I will try and get some videos before and after for comparison and then again after 1000 miles or so to try and get a feel for the difference between brand new, res delete and res delete once run in.

Smolyneux85

Jun 22, 2018
North West
This is my 290 Bw38 so was the last before the copper. Standard exhaust with around 1,700k on the clock. Very tempted to get the res delete done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hallsy67

Mar 11, 2010
Bristol
My copper 290 has got 570 miles on it at the moment so still taking it easy but im getting little pops on overrun. My old 280 i had i never heard any noise at all. The 290 is definately a deeper tone than the 280s

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
What is over run?
When you let off the gas the car doesn't cut fuel right away and adds timing. This causes unburnt fuel to enter the exhaust manifold (and usually combust there). This causes pops and bangs out the exhaust.
The practical purpose of this came from rally cars I think, where they use it to keep the turbo spooled up while off the gas.
I'm not sure if it's actually practical in the case of the Cupra, but it does sound cool :).

Mystery290

Nov 13, 2018
Newcastle upon Tyne
Well my car was delivered yesterday and I love it already - I for one love the sound although it is very muted. In 2nd gear at low speeds and light throttle I can hear the exhaust burble on the overrun and it even seemed to attempt a few cracks but it’s very muffled. I think the noise is still lurking in there and hopefully tomorrow’s res delete should help bring them out. I suspect the GPF is the biggest limiting factor in the exhaust but even if it were possible I wouldn’t want to remove it as I think that would be a step too far.

Also on a side note - not sure why the majority are so against the soundaktor - personally I don’t mind it at all, I find the sound in mine (think it’s been revised for the Copra but could be wrong) sounds a bit like the Golf R one and doesn’t spoil it in any way just adds to the experience. It only really comes on under high load anyway so I’ll be leaving mine as it is.