Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
You have to get your first SD card activated. It's done on ODIS then after that the workaround works.

I think the first card entered into the unit may be able to be done without ODIS but if a dealer has say had a card in it but not given you that you may be stuck without ODIS. There is limited Mapcare on new UK Seats but here again I reckon you need the original card to do the upgrade.

Basically the card is married to the unit via the card's CID. It's needs to be unmarried. Reckon that is where you are at. Back to the dealer to sort out. This is how cloning of cards is protected. You can clone the card but it must have the CID that the unit is registered too which means its pointless to clone the card. You can update the card via the workaround on a valid registered card in the unit.

Reactions: notorious
Jan 15, 2019
Austria
Unfortunately local Seat dealer didn't provide it, and dealer request to pay 300 euros for it :) , what's really ridicolous, expected to get it by purchasing new car :) , but they didn't provided it.

Seems frist SD card has to be original, even without ODIS, think ODIS is necessary only for MIB1 STD and MIB1+2 High activations. They didn't say anything to me that was inside , any SD, just told me that need purchase new SD...

For me not look logic that only one CID can be connected to 1x car, suppose, if they sell original SD cards, and not necessary ODIS, then any original SD CID can be "married" to unit-car. As many other cards use same scheme CID protection, that only certain CIDs are acceptable, which are probably written in firmware, and FW probably check is correct CID, if correct = SD card pass, if not pass, then unit reject it,not recognise...

Will try find SD card original, of some Ateca owner, and clone such CID to try in my car, as 300 euros is really much to give dealer, after paid expensive new car, it's not about money, but about principle, that dealer wasn't fair, and didn't explain to me, when ordered car, that i'll get at all only radio-display :) , as without SD it's useless for navigation :) .

Tnx Tell for help!

Tell

Staff member
Unfortunately local Seat dealer didn't provide it, and dealer request to pay 300 euros for it :) , what's really ridicolous, expected to get it by purchasing new car :) , but they didn't provided it.

Seems frist SD card has to be original, even without ODIS, think ODIS is necessary only for MIB1 STD and MIB1+2 High activations. They didn't say anything to me that was inside , any SD, just told me that need purchase new SD...

For me not look logic that only one CID can be connected to 1x car, suppose, if they sell original SD cards, and not necessary ODIS, then any original SD CID can be "married" to unit-car. As many other cards use same scheme CID protection, that only certain CIDs are acceptable, which are probably written in firmware, and FW probably check is correct CID, if correct = SD card pass, if not pass, then unit reject it,not recognise...

Will try find SD card original, of some Ateca owner, and clone such CID to try in my car, as 300 euros is really much to give dealer, after paid expensive new car, it's not about money, but about principle, that dealer wasn't fair, and didn't explain to me, when ordered car, that i'll get at all only radio-display :) , as without SD it's useless for navigation :) .

Tnx Tell for help!

Only if you know the CID of the original card it was paired with (assuming it been paired already) would you only be able to clone it. That's only on Linux, Ubunto and Mac's on "gold cards" using shareware routines. I think you are a bit stuck without paying to get the navigation activated.

Tell

Staff member
Note on imported POIs on MY19 Seat Cars - Standard Navi - POI import not working

The subject of importing speed cameras comes up on the thread from time to time, it's now identified that there is indeed an issue with the MY19 Standard Navigation units in Seats, doesn't affected the Plus unit or other Vag brands at this time. On this thread some people have reported difficulties of recent - we know why now:

Spanish Club Seat Ateca and Leon sites have identified that the standard navi unit fitted to MY19 with the build device part number finishing in 877 and 877A will not import user POIs whether generated by Poinspector, commercial or free Pois. The issue is not related to the software serial number of the units (0512 / 0514) but part number finishing in 877 and 877A. It's the new model with wifi built into the standard unit. MY19 Arona's etc are fine, just the higher level standard units.

The part number can be obtained by

● Press the Infotainment MENU button and
then select Setup .

● In the System settings menu, press the
System information function button.

The top line shows the device part number. If that finishes with 877 or 877A then the unit will not import users Poi's. Seat have acknowledged the issue.

Thus with this unit you are out of luck if you wish to import user POIs generated or pre-prepared for the MIB2 standard unit.

More details on the Spanish thread

https://www.clubseatateca.com/threads/cargar-radares-en-los-nuevos-my19-navy-system.8455/

That's the situation as of May 2019.

Further details on Poinspector program are here which is also linked from the developers site and it can be used with all other MIB1 / MIB2 units:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....f-woe-vw-pulled-the-update-site-again.444799/

(I guess they haven't bedded the firmware into the hardware too well with the net result, which is why the issue is identified by the hardware part number, firmware is common to some of the MY19 infotainment units)

Tell

Staff member
I've tried to alter the setting in the standard version. The files are documented but didn't seem to do much. So whilst it's documented you can't alter it. Least I didn't succeed.

The big blue band comes on when it's computed that you are decending based on the trace height from the gps so shows more blue sky. Smaller blue band when those parameters are not met.

I did think it was worse in the standard to the plus but concluded they were about the same. It's just annoying in mountains when the road gets masked in a blue sky overlay. Don't mine the little blue line, not the big one :). Yes and it is in 3D, you always toggle auto zoom on.

Reactions: Theporter

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Any ideas why now and again the top of my map turns blue like a sky probably the top quarter
Its in 3D view and meant to signify the horizon. Depending on your zoom settings this will appear and disappear (set to auto for example) when navigating turns it will zoom in (no horizon), batting down the motorway it will zoom out (horizon shows). I have mine usually set to 200 or 400 instead.

Reactions: Theporter

Tell

Staff member
Its in 3D view and meant to signify the horizon. Depending on your zoom settings this will appear and disappear (set to auto for example) when navigating turns it will zoom in (no horizon), batting down the motorway it will zoom out (horizon shows). I have mine usually set to 200 or 400 instead.

Keep mine in auto zoom which is where you get the line around the button in the newer firmware. Line on, auto zoom toggled on. It works well 99 percent of the time but the massive sky mask is toggled as I said by the inclination of the car, that's the SkyHeight parameter in the XML for those people who can read computer code. X is the tilt angle of the car and Y is the portion of the screen that gets masked. The tilt is from vertical. 90' is flat.

That's what it's suppose to be doing. Maybe the software in the car doesn't read those parameters and it's dead code since its hard coded in, but it makes an interesting read and the design concept of using the cars tilt from interpolating the change in height based on GPS. It non plusses some people thou. Certainly on mountainous routes the masking effect becomes very noticeable with the odd inch of the top screen going rather than 1/4" at other times. (I just think it doesn't use the parameters in the XML... May be someone can twig those parameters better than me :))

Reactions: sebastalian

Tell

Staff member
This joint speed that gets shown, one being trailer speed on the standard unit, like 50 / 60 mph and the overlay, defaulting to 60 (kph abroad), can I ask whether anyone with a factory fitted trailer gets it.

What the first Ateca manual says.

Detection of traffic signs
The following functions can be activated and deactivated:
– Display of traffic signs on the multi-function display
– Trailer recognition (display of traffic signs for vehicles with trailer)

I see the Arona makes no reference to it not having Traffic Sign Recognition.

Probably need a vehicle that isn't a MY19 with TSR, with a factory fitted tow hook and the latest maps to check.

I'm wondering if they don't sort it out in the map upgrades whether there is a VCDS frig if it just needs some condition set to say I'm not towing.

Example with the two speed limit overlay, touch to show the two, defaults to trailer speed (& the 1" sky since driving down a hill to the sea :)):

jySCYFX.jpg

Last edited:

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
This joint speed that gets shown, one being trailer speed on the standard unit, like 50 / 60 mph and the overlay, defaulting to 60 (kph abroad), can I ask whether anyone with a factory fitted trailer gets it.

What the first Ateca manual says.

Detection of traffic signs
The following functions can be activated and deactivated:
– Display of traffic signs on the multi-function display
– Trailer recognition (display of traffic signs for vehicles with trailer)

I see the Arona makes no reference to it not having Traffic Sign Recognition.

Probably need a vehicle that isn't a MY19 with TSR, with a factory fitted tow hook and the latest maps to check.

I'm wondering if they don't sort it out in the map upgrades whether there is a VCDS frig if it just needs some condition set to say I'm not towing.

Example with the two speed limit overlay, touch to show the two, defaults to trailer speed (& the 1" sky since driving down a hill to the sea :)):

jySCYFX.jpg
Have you unticked the 'Trailer' option in the settings?

Tell

Staff member
Have you unticked the 'Trailer' option in the settings?

Yes done all that. So you read about it on all Vag brand boards across Europe although only here that we placed it as the tow speed rather than wet weather speed. Its something they brought in, in the November release. Hence, I wonder whether people with the factory towing hook get it with traffic sign recognition. Its like it's not picking up something in the cars infotainment unit. One easy solution for them is to switch the fields so that it defaults to the normal road speed with the tow speed underneath. They do it backwards assuming you are towing.

We are weeks away from the June 2019 release - may be it will go away. No sign of it yet BTW.

As a place marker for MAC users the recommended VAG software to clear the rubbish from a MAC unzip of the download map file is the free utility CleanMyDrive 2 whilst for a PC 7zip.

ATTENTION
If the map update is performed using the Apple® OS X operating system you may find that
Discover Media does not recognise the map material or displays it incorrectly. This is due to
a lack of compatibility between the “7 zip” program and the OS-X operating system. In
addition, the OS-X operating system has a tendency to create hidden additional files on
external data media. We therefore recommend that OS X users use the “Keka” unzipping
program. We also recommend using the “CleanMyDrive” program to remove any hidden files.

SeatCupra users don't seem to hit this problem thou, far too intelligent. Mib2 High / Plus will stop the update in its tracks due to the signature not matching whilst for the standard unit garbage would get in to be read. The Seat standard unit is the Discover Media unit referenced above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walone

Tell

Staff member
Mib2 High (Seat Plus, Skoda Columbus, VW Discover Pro) June 2019 Map Update

We are now onto the June release cycle. So far the SSD Mib2 / Mib1 combined release for 2019/2020 (P177)... good till November 2019. Due to VAG messing up the naming convention this release is 2019/2020 which is what it should be called - we await to see what the incorrectly standard version will be called.

So thanks to the Skoda German board as before

https://www.skodacommunity.de/threa...18-release-2019-fuer-mib1-mib2.103181/page-92

It's here as the direct link to the Skoda servers

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/HIGH12_P177_EU_201920.zip

Then we have the direct link with the download manager which is more stable on unstable networks. You can unpack direct to card or abort and use 7Zip to keep a copy of the file locally.

Direct link:

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto....der.exe?ver=636631745278719916&extension=.exe

Thanks to the Russian link:

https://www.drive2.ru/l/531948124638281892/

The update is also on the Skoda update portal that uses your Skoda VIN if you have one so it is being formally rolled out as an update (that's another test).

If you have a Seat Plus with Mapcare or a Retrofit it's good for use. Mac users see post above. The contents were frozen up in December 2018 which isn't uncommon to allow testing before release. The zip files were created on the 9th May 2019.

Obviously no good if you have the standard system.... you still need to wait and will be interesting to see whether they keep the zoned release for that. Skoda Vin site now offers the standard all Europe download as the VW site (last release) so it's likely that those that like identical bit by bit download files from Seat rather than VW or Skoda might get their way but will have to wait ;). The site says you need a 32gb card for the standard all Europe release but you don't, has caused confusion across Skoda European forums. Can only think that Vag is planning a 32gb card for when the maps out grow the current 16gb standard release, hasn't happened yet.

The map updates are common across Vag brands bunched to high and standard Mib2 - This is the high Mib2 one.... whilst the high Mib1 uses the same files as the high Mib2. Ignore the text on that Skoda thread of editting for Mib2 High or Mib1 High, it's all locked down with signatures, so no advantage of fiddling with what's going to be uploaded into the unit, it will abort the upload.

Uploaded into my original unit which I had flashed into a retrofit last November. Second map update all fine. Customary success picture :).

WIsYnsU.jpg

Nb. As before the German Skoda forum site has the standard Mib1 map update but as before few people have cracked the Mapcare issue with that, I haven't linked it, post 1828 on that link. Should that be resolved I guess via retrofit firmware software it's there.

Retrofit - anyone who has a mib2 high retrofit but doesn't know how to do the update I covered that in post 3 here:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/mib2-map-updates-2019-2020-june-2019-release.453008/

---

Also of interest is the level of change to the Here Maps underlying data that the Mib2 High uses. See the link:

https://vw.navigation.com/cms/page.whatweveadded/en_US/VWNA/USD

Select region EMEA

The standard Mib2 uses TomTom data since ~ V8 cards (check the back of the jewel box), previously Here Maps was used.

Users can add / offer up changes to either database via

Standard Mib2 - TomTom

https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools

Plus (Mib2 High) - Here Maps

https://mapcreator.here.com/

Last edited:

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Thanks Tell.
Without going through 84 pages of posts ?
[which I have suggested before needs culling or a new post from now on following your excellent post].]

What do I need to do to update my 18 my Cupra R which 'I understand' is a 'MIB2 High' unit.
Is it a simple process or a likelihood of going 't**s up.

Tell

Staff member
Keeping the thread as is enables everything to be found in one place :).

Are you sure it's a mib2 high. Does it contain a map on any SD cards in the unit ?. If it does then it's a standard, if empty or music SD cards then it's a high. The first is the so called workaround is available or you can shell out to the dealer, the second if it's a mib2 high is you part with more money to a South of London company to be made into a retrofit so you can do updates yourself (seems be only one Polish owned company operating in the UK to do this, some risk attached, Walone and myself did this, they do it whilst you wait, will come out) or you shell out to your dealer for a one off map upgrade. The latter they may not have, since my understanding is they work to an annual card release. This was the issue in 2017 with me, they said my 2016 car was up to date when it wasn't since they operate on an annual basis whilst the download files are six monthly. You probably wouldn't have firmware surgery done on a PCP car.

All of this hassle is due to Seat not providing Mapcare in the UK, whilst all other Vag brands in the UK allow you to update the maps by not locking down the process with Mapcare. Just Seat Europe that is out of step with the rest of the Vag group.

To check whether it's a mib2 high (plus) or standard

Press the “NAV” Button > Confirm the “Setup” > “Version information” selection on the display.

Check the first text line in "Version information". If the first three digits are 6P0, your system version is the "Navi System - 6P0". If not, your system is the "Navi System Plus".

6P0 is a standard unit.

Nb. People who updated the standard last time round with the VW all of Europe release it won't say that. All other standard releases wherever sourced from are all file identical.

At the minute the standard map update hasn't been released for June 2019... anytime. Hope that clears it up.

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Thanks Tell
From a helpful reply to a previous post by me answered by you [page 82 no 1622] I had a MIB2 high.
This is my version. I hope.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 165
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 146

Tell

Staff member
Thanks Tell
From a helpful reply to a previous post by me answered by you [page 82 no 1622] I had a MIB2 high.
This is my version. I hope.

That is indeed a Mib2 High. User @Titchy has also been asking me about retrofits on the messaging side. I see you both have the same hardware H54 and firmware 1219. Perhaps you should combine forces and ask that South London company. I did say to him check they enable TMC before they finish. Walone got his done before me and he sorted that out himself, needs toggling on via VCDS after the change, forewarned I got them to sort it.

Then get them to give you a tutorial in the map update process, basically back end menu easy enough, long menu press till you see the SWDL menu option (this menu is disabled by default), Start, keep the engine running for 60 mins, or off with door open, or open and close the door ever 15 minutes (way I do it). Takes about 40 mins but the unit has to be powered up continuously during this process, unlike the front end method you can't stop and start the process else you have to start again.

I should warn that anybody reading this that enables the developers menu without retrofit firmware installed will succeed in getting the maps in but it will lock you out till you restore the release the unit came with or before. Been there, done that, others have as well.

Lastly obviously all risks are on you which is why I thought about the conversion for a couple of months after Walone had his done. They may upgrade your firmware release version in the process, you are on 1219 or may say at this time it can't be done.

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Thanks for the prompt feedback Tell.
Sorry it is still complicated news.
I was so used to regularly updating my Renno online. New map yearly. Connected sim for instant traffic updates etc.
Heyho mine is a better car.