Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
Hi Tell, yes thanks I have the MIB2 Standard and yes I know what a Mac is, I was just quoting the two posts you specifically referred to as important. It's nothing to do with "patience being a virtue", it's about accessibility of information and this thread is very fragmented and difficult to follow because unfortunately moderator has taken ownership of it and updated the first post, or started a new follow-up thread summarizing the correct information.

I will give the relevant steps a try soon and report back. :)

Basically you go to the end of the thread if it's Mib2... Mib1 fizzled out earlier on, on what you can do yourself to upgrade. Historic nature of the thread means it's all here. People post the workaround elsewhere but people still get in a mess by not backing up and using Macs.

Basically it's easy if you follow the instructions. Mib2 high you seek a retrofitter or cough up. In your case I don't know whether you had Mapcare on your system and whether that has run out then I guess the procedure is much the same. It's never come up.

markobc

Feb 2, 2020
You mean mib1 SD card based system. People have deleted these before without backing them up. You need the serial number of the card if it's like mib2 printed on the bottom of the card. Look for a release of that online or you find someone with it so they can share.

Mib1 is getting a bit old now and the historic releases you might not find on VW and Skoda download sites.

Basically serial number -> to release period year version then to VW / Skoda download if you can find it. Did you take a picture of the screen before, it helps.

You mean mib1 SD card based system. People have deleted these before without backing them up. You need the serial number of the card if it's like mib2 printed on the bottom of the card. Look for a release of that online or you find someone with it so they can share.

Mib1 is getting a bit old now and the historic releases you might not find on VW and Skoda download sites since they change the addresses.

Basically serial number -> to release period year version then to VW / Skoda download if you can find it. Did you take a picture of the screen before, it helps.

i think mib2 is a system,(seat leon 2016).
SERIAL: 6P0919866

maybe it would help only original OVERALL.NDS ?

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member

I did wonder whether you meant V1 mib2 card.... Thinking about was going to cut and paste an eBay picture up for you to check. Right you beat me to it... now I'll attempt to research the VW / Skoda download of it. You will know you have it when you see the part number in the file as the post above. Seat runs to a different version number to VW on the printed SD label.

Basically you need the download file for

Europe West V4 0521 ECE1 2016

which was released circa November 2015.

or some kind soul in here to message you the overall.nds file from that card or just buy an ebay card and lift of the file for your card....

search continues.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member

OK well I've found the download now thanks to the very good Skoda German board that has a similar thread that has the history in it !!! :)... very useful to map the twists and turns.

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/0521_MP151-1205c.xEUR.zip

That is the Seat V1 Mib2 card. Put that onto your blank card Seat... test and then get back on track on the instructions above.

If the above link doesn't work since your internet connection is problematic / Skoda's are use this

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto....der.exe?ver=636797902467464786&extension=.exe

Click on Download, once it's downloaded, it sets up a filesharing protocol and does have an unzip at the end of it to the original SD. It is Skoda's way of dealing with the MAC problem but is also more resilient to network issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walone and Bedlam

markobc

Feb 2, 2020
OK well I've found the download now thanks to the very good Skoda German board that has a similar thread that has the history in it !!! :)... very useful to map the twists and turns.

That is the Seat V1 Mib2 card. Put that onto your blank card Seat... test and then get back on track on the instructions above.

If the above link doesn't work since your internet connection is problematic / Skoda's are use this

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto....der.exe?ver=636797902467464786&extension=.exe

Click on Download, once it's downloaded, it sets up a filesharing protocol and does have an unzip at the end of it to the original SD. It is Skoda's way of dealing with the MAC problem but is also more resilient to network issues.

You are an amazing person,
thank you so much for the links.
i will download the contents, copy to the original card and check the result.
I'll come back with feedback,
thanks again

Reactions: Walone and Tell

Tell

Staff member
It's the same as the eBay cards they are for people with Mapcare, if you haven't got Mapcare (or valid Mapcare) on your build codes it won't work. That's the "hard copy version" of the downloads.

They are sold to people who dont want to be bothered with the download who have Mapcare. Save yourself £39 and download it from the links published and use the workaround if you haven't got Mapcare or if you got valid Mapcare then download. These cards would normally be picked up at a dealer.

No UK Seats have long term Mapcare. Elsewhere in Europe, Mapcare may be optional at the time of purchase (one off payment 110 or so Euros for the first three year).

Example build codes:

77Q VWGROUP CDR SD card (Europe), map updates for 1 year (UK standard)

77S VWGROUP CDR Data storage device, integrated without Mapcare (UK high)

First allows the owner the ability to update the maps for a one year period (start date ? Possibly when the card went in). Back up before doing this or just do the workaround and back up in any case. Where the car is supplied with an old map card this allows the owner in the first year to update. You read on boards of people doing this when they got an old card at delivery and the dealer sends them a new card once they get stock. It's a dealer convenience item.

Second. A Plus unit, no ability to update the maps.

Last edited:

SitdownandhaveaCupratea

Oct 14, 2018
Basically you go to the end of the thread if it's Mib2... Mib1 fizzled out earlier on, on what you can do yourself to upgrade. Historic nature of the thread means it's all here. People post the workaround elsewhere but people still get in a mess by not backing up and using Macs.

Basically it's easy if you follow the instructions. Mib2 high you seek a retrofitter or cough up. In your case I don't know whether you had Mapcare on your system and whether that has run out then I guess the procedure is much the same. It's never come up.
Nope I never had Mapcare... I don't live in UK either.

It's the same as the eBay cards they are for people with Mapcare, if you haven't got Mapcare (or valid Mapcare) on your build codes it won't work. That's the "hard copy version" of the downloads.

They are sold to people who dont want to be bothered with the download who have Mapcare. Save yourself £39 and download it from the links published and use the workaround if you haven't got Mapcare or if you got valid Mapcare then download. These cards would normally be picked up at a dealer.

No UK Seats have long term Mapcare. Elsewhere in Europe, Mapcare may be optional at the time of purchase (one off payment 110 or so Euros for the first three year).

Example build codes:

77Q VWGROUP CDR SD card (Europe), map updates for 1 year (UK standard)

77S VWGROUP CDR Data storage device, integrated without Mapcare (UK high)

First allows the owner the ability to update the maps for a one year period (start date ? Possibly when the card went in). Back up before doing this or just do the workaround and back up in any case. Where the car is supplied with an old map card this allows the owner in the first year to update. You read on boards of people doing this when they got an old card at delivery and the dealer sends them a new card once they get stock. It's a dealer convenience item.

Second. A Plus unit, no ability to update the maps.

Ok thanks for confirming much appreciated! :)

Tell

Staff member
Nope I never had Mapcare... I don't live in UK either.

Ok thanks for confirming much appreciated! :)

There has been a couple of cases on the thread with a Mib2 standard where they did the replacement card then the workaround. Both ended in confusion. One was a dealer giving them a replacement update card presume in the short term new car period, so they then got confused about which overall.nds file to use subsequently which card, so it didn't work first time on the workaround.

The second a more gunho person that got the card then got into a pickle. They might have progressed within the short term replacement period. Either way you can't get two cards to work on the system unless you buy a gold card and do the cloning CID process on the thread. People fall into the trap of buying the second card for the workaround thinking they will have a backup card that works, no you have to do the cloning process if you want that ability. Highly unlikely that the card will wear out.

Brings us on to today's thought which I woke up with :). How the overall.nds file must work is that it's got a quarter date stamp within it which like mib2 high uses a FEC / Swap code in the unit. The quarter stamp is locked away in the mib2 high map upload (that's a signed update file so you have no chance of editting that) whilst the standard's validation stamp is in that file together with other things that it does. Moving that file retains validity. Wonder if Exciter knew what was in that file. I'm assuming the standard unit also keeps track of the year in quarters as the high does. That's all a bit obvious now.

Old English proverb, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". Days of horse back riding and you were given a horse to ride into town.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020
Gentlemen, I have bought Leon 2020 yesterday and it came with this Easy Connect system, which I could not found information if this is Mib 1 or Mib 2. Can someone make any comment?

Hardware: H50
Software: 0514

The car has virtual cockpit as well.

Dealer is also not aware if this system is Mib1 or 2. It does not have Nagivation menu button on the screen.

My aim is to be able to retreive the Navigation menu by OBD11 or VAGCOM and install the related map. And reflect the navigation to the virtual display.

Can I do it with 5F0035842A?

Cheers,

Attachments

• IMG-20200205-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20200205-WA0016.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 290

Tell

Staff member
I think you will be disappointed. It's a mib2 but basic system. The last part number you gave, top line is the hardware box of the unit. You Google that.

https://picclick.it/5F0035842A-Seat...dia-Navi-Mib-2-264286146357.html#&gid=1&pid=1

That gives you four clear images of the unit. Connection at the back. I reckon you will find you dont have navigation socket on there. Searching around for other back plane images.

I did find the spec build codes which were without navigation so pretty sure.

https://www.oemvwshop.com/5f0035842a-control-unit-for-information-p2251485/

The mib2 navigation license is heavily controlled so without it you are a bit stuck. You'd be even more stuff if it didn't have navigation socket on it....

Think easy connect refers to integration with your phone. The goodies were rolled out piece meal as licenced features. Now you can get the lot with topping. The FEC Swap codes are the controlling features so whilst things can be turned on by protected methods if the hardware isn't in the box it's not going to work. That's the other way look at the Swap codes and check Youtube videos as to what you have. There is a list of installed and what can be installed. Decode those. If it's not on either list, its not going to happen. If it's on the not installed list, you'd be seeking a wizard retrofitter I reckon as a dealer possibly wouldn't want to know.

Some VW info on FEC / Swap codes... Seat ones are different, principle the same. I posted up the Seat Mapcare high ones once I worked out how they worked. I'm sure the standard mib2 Seat ones are on the net somewhere:

Knowing what the code is, is different from being able to action it.

Yay.. as the youngsters say you are missing out on the blue one, GPS

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/450799-connectors-on-mib2-unit/

Picture of the back off a full spec mib1 standard on this link, got blue, yours hadn't.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAT-NAV-...787090&hash=item216642fbff:g:xGAAAOSw~8ld1~i5

So yes, not possible.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020
Thank you for the intensive information that I would not be able to find on google search.

I guess all we have to is to look for Full link option for navigation.

But I am not sure if I can see navigation screen on virtual cockpit of I use Android Auto?

Did someone try this before? It is FR 2020 car!

Tell

Staff member
No you can only show the built in navigation on the virtual cockpit not on Android Auto or Car Play. One of the benefits of the built in system, next turn and lane information in front of you. Also useful if your codriver is flicking through tracks or radio channels, you can still see where you are going.

markobc

Feb 2, 2020

Hi,again
content 0521_MP151-1205c.xEUR. does not function in the original v1 card.
I tried restarting several times but the device does not accept.
i wonder if it would work if i buy another v1 from ebay?
thanks

Tell

Staff member
Did you use a Mac by any chance although if you used the second link that called the Skoda download manager which if you continued would unzip directly onto the card bypassing anything a Mac could introduce into the process.

SD Card unzipped should look like

Map directory etc.

The serial number on the download did tally with the one on the card. If for example Seat re-released it still keeping that part number but different overall.nds file by poor control management of their releases I could see that it may not work. I've got back a number of people who lost their back up by this method of going to the identical Skoda / VW download as the Seat card.

You could try a Seat V1 mib2 card off eBay but yours will be paired to your card's CID. So you would need to copy out what is on your new bought card onto your old card.

So if you are sure it's not a Mac issue and you used the second download method and still doesn't work then you could try that. Of course someone somewhere could have been clever and registered something other than what the card says on it to your car.

Fail all of that you could present the bought eBay card to your dealer and ask them to install it rather than having a new card that doesn't work. Then you have the workaround method to do the update yourseld. The Mac steps are on the thread.

That's why it's imperative to copy out the contents of the card via a directory copy because if you dont you are reliant on finding the matching download that is registered to the car. We have succeeded up to now with mib2 but always a first time.

markobc

Feb 2, 2020
Did you use a Mac by any chance although if you used the second link that called the Skoda download manager which if you continued would unzip directly onto the card bypassing anything a Mac could introduce into the process.

SD Card unzipped should look like

Map directory etc.

The serial number on the download did tally with the one on the card. If for example Seat re-released it still keeping that part number but different overall.nds file by poor control management of their releases I could see that it may not work. I've got back a number of people who lost their back up by this method of going to the identical Skoda / VW download as the Seat card.

You could try a Seat V1 mib2 card off eBay but yours will be paired to your card's CID. So you would need to copy out what is on your new bought card onto your old card.

So if you are sure it's not a Mac issue and you used the second download method and still doesn't work then you could try that. Of course someone somewhere could have been clever and registered something other than what the card says on it to your car.

Fail all of that you could present the bought eBay card to your dealer and ask them to install it rather than having a new card that doesn't work. Then you have the workaround method to do the update yourseld. The Mac steps are on the thread.

That's why it's imperative to copy out the contents of the card via a directory copy because if you dont you are reliant on finding the matching download that is registered to the car. We have succeeded up to now with mib2 but always a first time.
Thanks for the reIply,
I'm not using a mac.downloaded the link directly to the zip archive (no downloader)
now i will try to download with downloader,and try
thanks again

Tell

Staff member
Thanks for the reIply,
I'm not using a mac.downloaded the link directly to the zip archive (no downloader)
now i will try to download with downloader,and try
thanks again

That one, you delete what is on the card, then when it gets to the end of the download will say, do you want to unzip it or copy it or words to that effect. Also retain the copy as well just in case you need to redo it. It will likely say the card isn't empty when it is, ignore that, then start the unzip off, it will slowly unzip and copy to the SD card.

markobc

Feb 2, 2020
That one, you delete what is on the card, then when it gets to the end of the download will say, do you want to unzip it or copy it or words to that effect. Also retain the copy as well just in case you need to redo it. It will likely say the card isn't empty when it is, ignore that, then start the unzip off, it will slowly unzip and copy to the SD card.
yes, i will do that.
Now I checked the label in the folder map dbinfo.txt
PartNumber4="6P0919866D"
looks like this is a slightly newer version, mine has no D,
maybe that's the problem

Tell

Staff member
I had noticed a small character difference but thought not important perhaps as a print error. I'm sure the one before would have a much greater difference in characters.

Seat never saved their releases on a server over history. May be they were up to that resent trick of not keeping in synch with VAG then.

You could appeal for someone with mib2 Seat V1 card to give you a copy of the overall.nds file. I'll have a look at the six month release prior to this tomorrow if I can find it. You could check filesharing methids just in case it's been uploaded.

Probably buying the card will fix it and doing the copy as I said so it's then on your old card, CID will agree.

Hmmm

Did find this post

https://www.seat-forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794221&mobile=off

That would place it as

Navigation database: 6P0919866
ECE 2015/16

I'll look for 0430 in the morning. Would have been released June 2015. Since Seat were late to Mib2 perhaps the VAG software people kept the part number static for a bit and just altered the end character.

(Looked late at night and didn't have success think it falls between Skodas update portal at the time, Skoda servers at the time and VW altered their links so I don't think it will be found on VW servers)

VW card part number 3G0-919-866-H from

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Navigation_System_Maps

Known as VW V3 mib2 ECE 2015/16 with part number.

People have looked for historic downloads connected with a period of VAG navigation issues which has passed but you have to crack the filename to the download since VW have moved things around for historic files.

Example here

https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1394

Suspect that Skoda Amundsen mib2 didn't arrive in that year to Skoda so the link you can't find. Suggest you buy a Seat V1 off eBay. Copy the contents out. Copy back onto your old V1 card. Try. If it works do the workaround to get yourself onto 1430. I've giving up the search. Moral behind this, always back up the card before the workaround if you don't have Mapcare.

Last edited:
Reactions: markobc

markobc

Feb 2, 2020
I had noticed a small character difference but thought not important perhaps as a print error. I'm sure the one before would have a much greater difference in characters.

Seat never saved their releases on a server over history. May be they were up to that resent trick of not keeping in synch with VAG then.

You could appeal for someone with mib2 Seat V1 card to give you a copy of the overall.nds file. I'll have a look at the six month release prior to this tomorrow if I can find it. You could check filesharing methids just in case it's been uploaded.

Probably buying the card will fix it and doing the copy as I said so it's then on your old card, CID will agree.

Hmmm

Did find this post

https://www.seat-forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794221&mobile=off

That would place it as

Navigation database: 6P0919866
ECE 2015/16

I'll look for 0430 in the morning. Would have been released June 2015. Since Seat were late to Mib2 perhaps the VAG software people kept the part number static for a bit and just altered the end character.
i think i found it

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/0430_MP143-1248.0EUR.zip

Reactions: Tell
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.