Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
Annoying when thst happens. Even more annoying when it sends you down an old road thats closed and you dont know where the new bypass is... They were on the new maps but since I had a high I couldn't update. Now with the modded head I see the roads I digitised. Nivina I digitised that one in... takes about 12 months for things to come thru. New builds the mapping companies know about but uncertain of when they are to be opened.

Tell

Staff member
Yeah... The other one is that VW might have adopted Skodas business model on this which is to put out the SD cards with the latest maps but delay the release of the download for six month which is what they did with 1430 although they called it 1410.

It's not been picked up by those that trawl VW servers ahead of its formal web page release. I'm trusting the European Skoda community to report it when they find it, which they will do and I check the VW web page.

Ofcourse they could have had a technical issue. It's apparent that the VAG group put out to contract the population of the files from the map providers rather do it themselves. On the high side both Seat and Skoda have accidentally released validation spreadsheets in the past where you can read who created the sheet and presume the update data files and they aren't Here Maps or TomTom they go out to a third party. I'm not too sure where the POIs / house numbering / postcode look ups come from the map providers or whether these third party companies provide these. The cartography is definitely TomTom for the standard, Here Maps the high / plus unit. 3D buildings come from Here Maps. It was when they moved the standard cartography from Here Maps to TomTom they had issues with trailer speeds etc which got fixed. Might be another screw up. The night time speeds have been an issue in Europe.

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
it looks like. My parents in T-Roc had paid for 3 years update and they want to go for holiday and no updates. Same as me. Luckly i have Full link so i can always connect always updated google maps. My parents also can but they need to ho to VW and pay to enable this function.

The most funny think is that you paing for 3 years updates and nothing to download. ;/

Tell

Staff member
Think this may enter the realm of the pricing of VW connect. Map updates are now free and for life on VW and Skoda, but connect services aren't. Seat customers of Mapcare in Europe always get their maps later than VW and Skoda so Seat will probably deliver :). As said, it did occur to me whether VW were going to slide the release back by six months as Skoda did in November. We'll see. Suspect it's just a technical issue rather than an eye on the bottom line to ship the SD cards before the download, Skodas scheme.

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
i called to VW "partyline" and ask ehrn it will be update and they said "(...) please contatct with Here company." i just made big lol and said that i bought car from VW not form Here :)

Tell

Staff member
Considering Here Maps don't do the standard one now. I think in the past they did do the whole lot as I was musing over including file production, hence the use of their website for both in the past for distribution. The contract was shifted away circa 3-4 years ago then it started to become unprofessional with internal validation files shipped with the product, the tow speed issue etc, now sorted. High / Plus side product is more stable accepting the Mapcare issue on the Seat side. More of a finished product. Standard is more idiosyncratic.

Jul 22, 2020
Is it completely safe to do the OVERALL.NDS hack to get newer maps? Is the OVERALL.NDS just a license or does it affect anything? It's obfuscated so hard to say.

Also, does a Seat Leon 2020 MK3 have any abillity to phone home (internet connectivity) or is it completely offline? We got very old maps with our car and no MapCare option, so I think it's fair.

EDIT: Is the maps you get from VW and Seat's website the same? I've noticed the Seat ones are outdated compared to VW.

TheCraftyBugger

May 4, 2018
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Is it completely safe to do the OVERALL.NDS hack to get newer maps? Is the OVERALL.NDS just a license or does it affect anything? It's obfuscated so hard to say.

Also, does a Seat Leon 2020 MK3 have any abillity to phone home (internet connectivity) or is it completely offline? We got very old maps with our car and no MapCare option, so I think it's fair.

EDIT: Is the maps you get from VW and Seat's website the same? I've noticed the Seat ones are outdated compared to VW.
I was able to use the overall.nds work around to upgrade the maps on my 2020 Cupra to 1430. Just a waiting game now for the new maps.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member

First question the "workaround" generates an "SVM" error in the navigation module, you don't know that unless you run a diagnostic on the unit. That became apparent... nobody really bothers with that error. If it's cleared it comes back. There might be a fix but haven't tried hard enough to check for that.. tried other people to do it :).

Second question. Pass on that for the minute. Let others answer. Skoda and VW you can do an online upgrade but you pay for connect services so assume Seat would do the same when it comes to the brand.

Third question. Exact same maps except when Seat release quarter period maps out of sync with others. If unzipped they give the exact byte by byte file... there are tecniques to check for that, people do who don't believe (you generate the hash and compare after unzipping). Seat did the quarter release once on the high but other than that identical. We all look to VW for the source now except Seat has good S American and Israel maps at the minute that Skoda and VW don't - the 1430 version of those not available elsewhere (non Europe Zone 1 from memory). Seat is always late to publish after Skoda, Skoda after VW.

Reactions: te-kliiuh7
Jul 22, 2020
First question the "workaround" generates an "SVM" error in the navigation module, you don't know that unless you run a diagnostic on the unit. That became apparent... nobody really bothers with that error. If it's cleared it comes back. There might be a fix but haven't tried hard enough to check for that.. tried other people to do it :).

Second question. Pass on that for the minute. Let others answer. Skoda and VW you can do an online upgrade but you pay for connect services so assume Seat would do the same when it comes to the brand.

Third question. Exact same maps except when Seat release quarter period maps out of sync with others. If unzipped they give the exact byte by byte file... there are tecniques to check for that, people do who don't believe (you generate the hash and compare after unzipping). Seat did the quarter release once on the high but other than that identical. We all look to VW for the source now except Seat has good S American and Israel maps at the minute that Skoda and VW don't - the 1430 version of those not available elsewhere (non Europe Zone 1 from memory). Seat is always late to publish after Skoda, Skoda after VW.

Hmm, hope that error won't do anything at the dealership as I have a service agreement which voids if certain things are done to the car. Too late now I guess.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Think a lot of people are driving around with that error. Only came to light sometime after Exciter identified the process. The workaround is now common around the world and so is that error reported on boards which is a side effect. Retrofit high units also have their version of the error. It reports the software has been changed. People don't bother with the errors apart from dealing with the important reports during a service, then clearing them, this one pops back even if you go thou the convoluted process of clearing it.

Tell

Staff member
Well it appears to be September then for the standard version if this posting is correct from the German site, posted 22nd July 2020.

》》
Don't know if this has already been communicated here ?:

Yesterday I called the VW hotline (Radio / Navigation department) and received the information that the updates for all generations of the DM with a very high probability will only come at the beginning of September, because there are some unknown difficulties for a punctual release. The VW employee, who tried very hard to apologize for the delay, got additional information from the department for this information.

But she also said that with luck the updates may come a little earlier - so keep checking every now and then .....

Best wishes
《《

DM is the Discover Media which is the Seat standard unit.

Jul 28, 2020
Hi all, new to the forum.

Bought a 2015 Leon TSI SE just yesterday.

I'd like to update the sat nav as it is outdated, but I'm struggling to work out which version I have.
Is mine a Mib1 / RNS 315 and would it work with this replacement?
https://satnavstore.com/ALLCARS/Sea...S315-V12-NEW-SD-CARD-MAP-SAT-NAV-UPDATE-EU-UK

Alternatively, can anyone kindly point me in the direction of a link to Skoda or VW compatible map data where I could update my current SD card, please?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Sat Nav display.jpg
    Sat Nav display.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 239
  • SD card.jpg
    SD card.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 234

Tell

Staff member
Hi all, new to the forum.

Bought a 2015 Leon TSI SE just yesterday.

I'd like to update the sat nav as it is outdated, but I'm struggling to work out which version I have.
Is mine a Mib1 / RNS 315 and would it work with this replacement?
https://satnavstore.com/ALLCARS/Sea...S315-V12-NEW-SD-CARD-MAP-SAT-NAV-UPDATE-EU-UK

Alternatively, can anyone kindly point me in the direction of a link to Skoda or VW compatible map data where I could update my current SD card, please?

Many thanks.

Nobody has been able to use DIY techniques on standard mib1... the holly grail of the thread in it's early days. Only mib2 standard where you can do anything yourself (thanks to Exciter) other than that you are off to a dealer. Have been instances where people buy them off the internet then turn to a dealer to install.

Jul 28, 2020
Nobody has been able to use DIY techniques on standard mib1... the holly grail of the thread in it's early days. Only mib2 standard where you can do anything yourself (thanks to Exciter) other than that you are off to a dealer. Have been instances where people buy them off the internet then turn to a dealer to install.

Disappointing to discover that is the case.

Thanks for the info.

Aug 11, 2020
Apologies in advance if this is not the right place to post this but I have a 2016 VW Polo and am in Australia. I have looked through these forums but just had a couple of quesitons.

I have downloaded and installed the latest maps to the SD card.

The Discover Media unit is running SHIELD 2016-03 (Build 020) which seems to be a couple of years old.

Am I right to assume that this link (https://vw-maps-cdn.lighthouselabs.eu/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12.7z) that was posted a few pages ago is the SHIELD 2016-44 (Build 309) update and is the correct one for my car?

If so how do I go about installing it?

Tell

Staff member
Apologies in advance if this is not the right place to post this but I have a 2016 VW Polo and am in Australia. I have looked through these forums but just had a couple of quesitons.

I have downloaded and installed the latest maps to the SD card.

The Discover Media unit is running SHIELD 2016-03 (Build 020) which seems to be a couple of years old.

Am I right to assume that this link (https://vw-maps-cdn.lighthouselabs.eu/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12.7z) that was posted a few pages ago is the SHIELD 2016-44 (Build 309) update and is the correct one for my car?

If so how do I go about installing it?

That's a European map. You want

Select your car and it's the one listed under:

Non-European Countries – Bundle 3

Always take a backup, you might be fine for Mapcare since it's a recent VW but if not take the workaround instructions as per the thread. Obey the special Mac instructions if using a Mac (CleanMydrive etc). Those are on the thread but also off the bottom of the VW link to a PDF. Use 7 zip if using a PC. Download link for 7 zip is on the bottom of the VW page once the car is identified and unit.

1420 for you is still the latest. Due to change in a month or so.

Direct download is this link:

Mapcare is built into all VWs now, free for life think Australia got it before 2016 although some cars did get imported without and had to go back to a dealer to be adjusted. The so called "workaround" with the overall.nds file fixes that so not the end of the world. Since it's a VW I'd just take a back up copy of the SD, copy across the new material after unzipping following the guidance and see whether it works. If it says Navigation error or something like that with the correct zone map then follow the guidance of this thread on the workaround. Your overall.nds file will be in the back up that you will need. That's sitting in \EEC\EEC_WLD take the old one and copy across onto the SD card replacing the new one. This is the "workaround" in a nutshell.

If you did emigrate with the car we have solution for that on the thread (joint working with the T6 Forum)... but suspect you bought it out there.

Note for Seat UK readers you must follow the "workaround" since it won't work by just replacing the contents of the card unless the car came with the one year complementary mapcare which is shown on the build codes of the car. After a years ownership that is it, the workaround for you if it has the standard system or get the navigation FeC adjusted if you have a high / plus unit using a decent retrofitter that's if you want to do the bi - annual map updates yourself. Ditto elsewhere in Europe unless you took out Mapcare. Such concerns don't worry VW and Skoda owners since Mapcare is free for life (disabled). On a standard unit always backup the maps before replacing them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walone

simaservis1108

Jan 4, 2018
Now it is possible to turn CID check in Standard units,and also installation of Lifetime Mapcare in Standard and High units.
If anyone needs,contact me in PM.

Reactions: Walone
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise