Brake pads options for 370mm Brembo 4 pots

Oct 28, 2019
Has anyone tried these Stoptech

308.16000 - Street Performance Brake Pads £50 a set seems almost too cheap​

pauly1299

Oct 3, 2022
Just to update this, I couldn't find anyone that could skim 370mm discs on the car. And when the car went into SEAT for a service, the tech agreed that the pad locating pins were marking the discs. He contacted SEAT technical for advice, and was told this is normal. Sounds like BS to avoid having to replace the pads and discs under the warranty.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Just to update this, I couldn't find anyone that could skim 370mm discs on the car. And when the car went into SEAT for a service, the tech agreed that the pad locating pins were marking the discs. He contacted SEAT technical for advice, and was told this is normal. Sounds like BS to avoid having to replace the pads and discs under the warranty.

See my previous comment on these pins:

Are you actually having brake problems? How much wear do you have on your pads/discs?

The sub8 brembo brake option is an awesome brake - which wouldn't look out of place on a supercar from 10 years ago - but unfortunately that doesn't come cheap!

Its common for modern cars to need new pads and discs at the same time - gone are the days of getting 2 and 3 pad sets to 1 disc!

pauly1299

Oct 3, 2022
See my previous comment on these pins:

Are you actually having brake problems? How much wear do you have on your pads/discs?

The sub8 brembo brake option is an awesome brake - which wouldn't look out of place on a supercar from 10 years ago - but unfortunately that doesn't come cheap!

Its common for modern cars to need new pads and discs at the same time - gone are the days of getting 2 and 3 pad sets to 1 disc!
No problems at the moment, but the car has done 20k road miles now, and I'm looking to the future. A light skim on the discs could have extended their life, while staying within the wear limit. I wouldn't baulk at spending £4-500 on decent discs and pads, but I think the original SEAT parts cost a lot more?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
No problems at the moment, but the car has done 20k road miles now, and I'm looking to the future. A light skim on the discs could have extended their life, while staying within the wear limit. I wouldn't baulk at spending £4-500 on decent discs and pads, but I think the original SEAT parts cost a lot more?
I wouldn't worry about skimming - just use the discs until their wear limit is reached.
Cheapest genuine discs 8J0615301K I can see is around £560 for a pair.

pauly1299

Oct 3, 2022
I think the discs are early TT-RS parts, I've seen what look to be the same discs for around £400.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I think the discs are early TT-RS parts, I've seen what look to be the same discs for around £400.
Those on ebay for £389 look terrible.
Sure they should bolt on and be fine for putting around town but I would not want to heat cycle them! - the casting quality, not to mention the design looks bad. They are one-piece cast iron, trying to replicate the steel pins/alloy tophat/composite design of the OEM.
That is a very small section of cast iron to be in shear!

1688714136910.png

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
There's no good reason to have drilled discs. This is a throwback to when pads were way less advanced and now it's just an option so your discs look 'good'.

pauly1299

Oct 3, 2022
I believe the holes are punched in the better quality discs. Drilling probably causes a stress raiser, leading to cracking around the holes.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I believe the holes are punched in the better quality discs. Drilling probably causes a stress raiser, leading to cracking around the holes.
No, any holes are drilled.
Punched is just a 'lost in translation' phrase some catalogues use.
Holes in the friction surface are really only for aesthetics and drastically reduce disc thermal fatigue.

pauly1299

Oct 3, 2022
In the past I've read that the holes in official Porsche discs are part of the casting process, and aren't drilled.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
The thing is that is so ingrained that drilled discs are better that people expect it regardless of the effectiveness.
This is why people think they look better.

pauly1299

Oct 3, 2022
The thing is that is so ingrained that drilled discs are better that people expect it regardless of the effectiveness.
This is why people think they look better.
I googled this, and Brembo appear to disagree with you...

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Yes I am oversimplifying it.

There is no doubt some improvement is to be had from a non uniform brake disc surface be it dimples holes grooves etc. along with the downsides such changes bring.
Whether a road car will see that improvement is the point I suppose and whether there are more effective mods.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I googled this, and Brembo appear to disagree with you...

From Brembo and their "5 reasons for purchasing drilled discs" - their ONLY actual data (meaning the other 4 points are just marketing BS) is regarding gas dispersion (pad off-gassing) and for reducing brake fade.
There are so many important nuances to this - mainly in the pad friction material temperature stability - but you can see in 'their' data the only variance between drilled and plain discs occurs above 750deg C (dotted line)! You will never ever see these temps on the road, and even then, the difference in Mu (friction coefficient) will be gradual and still less than the fade around stop 6!

A different pad friction material will have drastically more influence on high temp fade than any disc holes.

1689058328709.png

AntoniosL

Sep 30, 2021
@ Slickric21

Could you please provide your advice and experience so far on the Zimmermann 370 mm front disks you installed in your car? I think I have had enough with the Brembo system's SHW front disks on my VZ3 Formentor.

Also, if you could please advise your thoughts on the following brake pads for the Zimmermann 370mm front disks:

ATE part number 13.0460-4833.2
Zimmermann part number 24098.970.1 (low dust) or 24098.170.1 (normal pads)
EBC Bluestuff DP52070NDX or EBC Yellowstuff DP42070R (EBC's website shows me these 2 pads options for my car https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automotive/cupra/formentor/70208 )

Thanks

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.