forge mk3 cupra FMIC vs SMIC, logs inside

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Forbez said:
bill, you taking order's today?
I need to order some rbf600 and if you can still do them / get them made, some briaded brake hoses for the mk3 ibiza cupra.

Will ring once i'm out of this training course!!
yea I'm here.. on 07976 800775

Dormouse

Available In Race Blue
ibizacupra said:
p-loss is proportional to airflow so who knows what its "good for" but from the outside looks adequate for 99% of peeps on k0x type turbo's

For definate it's good for those turbo's, you'll see no disagreement from me on that ;)

The point is (and it also notes your point on running the SMIC with IHI) that p-loss is also proportional to temperature (probably teaching you to suck eggs here, but i'll mention it for the thread discussion)

The more you cool the air coming out the turbine the greater the pressure drop.

Surely IHI suffered hugely under it's SMIC under sustained enthusiatic driving (due to timing retardation due to manifold temp sensor) and i'm thinking that higher revs suffered too :confused:

Dor.

Dormouse

Available In Race Blue
Revo Kev said:
Although the original IC is small, it's location is what really lets it down... I've seen a couple of Forge FMICs on Ibiza's now and they work really well.

Yup. would agree with that :D

It also helps that when the forge is installed, the OEM pipework (much of it plastic and constrictive) is removed. That's why I like the kit so much. It doesn't just intercool better it flows better.

Dor.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Dormouse said:
For definate it's good for those turbo's, you'll see no disagreement from me on that ;)

The point is (and it also notes your point on running the SMIC with IHI) that p-loss is also proportional to temperature (probably teaching you to suck eggs here, but i'll mention it for the thread discussion)

The more you cool the air coming out the turbine the greater the pressure drop.

Surely IHI suffered hugely under it's SMIC under sustained enthusiatic driving (due to timing retardation due to manifold temp sensor) and i'm thinking that higher revs suffered too :confused:

Dor.

during quick power runs at Stealth on my SMIC with IHI, induction temps went from 27'C to 80'C I think from memory... car went like stink so pull was'nt evident, but back then I honestly could'nt tell anyhow, 320bhp was effing quick to me.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Dormouse said:
Yup. would agree with that :D

It also helps that when the forge is installed, the OEM pipework (much of it plastic and constrictive) is removed. That's why I like the kit so much. It doesn't just intercool better it flows better.

Dor.

Not really conclusive, but not -ve either is the logging from the weekend on Ollys car. More airmass post FMIC fitment, but a couple.. (too offset this, ambient temps also 3'C colder when FMIC was run)

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Dormouse said:
Other factors considering, what extra flow did you see? as much as ballpark 10%?

Cheers

Dor.

LOL... no not exactly night and day different Chris..
from the spreadsheet raw data (in link above)
max airflow on SMIC was 164.2g/s and on FMIC 165.8g/s, a whole +1.6g/s :)

Ambient temps were 3'C lower when logging FMIC.

Last edited:

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
Bill one chart the airmass and boost are labled wrong, :redface:
the airmass was only 5 more on the forge, and the temp kept well down and had a slow increas at start were as SMIC shot up to high temps. i must add that the kit went together nice and easy, it just fits and works, and is ideal for my needs.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Olly20VT said:
the airmass was only 5 more on the forge, and the temp kept well down and had a slow increas at start were as SMIC shot up to high temps. i must add that the kit went together nice and easy, it just fits and works, and is ideal for my needs.

:whistle: :doh:
this one... http://badger-5.com/bin/intercooler/ibiza-forge-fmic.pdf

swap labels about as Olly says..

Stupid Badger...
:hide:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Dormouse said:
LOL :D

'Error Margintastic'

Pretty chilly logging weather then!

Dor.

feck me.. I cant type for sh1t...
meant to say 3'C lower.... not 3'C

although tonight.. it probably would be 3'C
:doh:

anyone want a stinking cold? had it for 2 weeks now.. fed up with it. :(

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Dormouse said:
I don't think you have adapted to it yet. Have you disconnected yourself and waited for 5 minutes? :p

I'll get my coat.

Dor.

snot-com lead is a bit guey now... Ewww..
Basic Settings, Reset Adaption snot limits

no response from controller..

bugger!

;)

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Olly20VT said:

Fixed............
sorry about that...

another senior moment.. :p

ibiza-smic.jpg

ibiza-forge-fmic.jpg

{edit-added a comparison before after on same graph ..}
ibiza-smic-v-forge-fmic.jpg

SPOT the difference.. :D

Last edited:

Jay

Mar 6, 2004
france
Visit site
Olly20VT, what is your sps3 boost setting ?

i see ~1b requested @5100rpm and still 0.8-0.85b @5800rpm, it's a bit higher than what lb9 setting request on mine.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Olly20VT said:
Nice to see them both on the same graph, looks good.
Any chance you could E-mail the logs please? thank you.

You can download them..
(sorry only just seen this post)

you can download em from here>
http://badger-5.com/bin/intercooler/LOG-01-003-011-115olly-v3.xls
http://badger-5.com/bin/intercooler/LOG-01-011-020-115olly-v4.xls
http://badger-5.com/bin/intercooler/LOG-01-115-011-003ibiza-olly2.xls
http://badger-5.com/bin/intercooler/LOG-01-115-011-020ibiza-olly1.xls

regards
bill

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
i dont know as a i a friend did it for me and i cant remember what it was set to. it may be down to the DP and sports cat, bill can you shed some light on this? thanks for the graphs bill.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members