JamJay's 290bhp Ovni Yellow LCR - Latest: SOLD & Replaced With A BMW 335i Cabrio

Which Cat-Back System Should I Choose?

• Longlife Custom 3" Non-Resonated - £429 Fitted

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Hayward & Scott (Essex) 3" Non-Resonated - £550 Fitted

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Blueflame 2.76" Non-Resonated - £400 Delivered

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Milltek 2.76" > 3" Non-Resonated - £400 Delivered

Votes: 38 39.2%
  • Powerflow Custom 3" Non-Resonated - £330 Fitted

Votes: 26 26.8%

• Total voters

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
I know where you are coming from JamJay, i have also thought about this long and hard, if i was you i would just sit down and write out the pros/cons of both and go from there, also regarding your comment about the hybrid K04, as it is i could not recommend this to anyone, my setup has uncovered a flaw in the K04 hybrid( because of my extensive setup) that was previously unknow to this forum, actually i have only talked about it now, it comes down to the mismatch of the compressor/turbine/shaft and untill CR sort it out it is NOT a viable option on a car that has highflow mani/TIP/exhaust system etc...

So you can scratch that one of your list of pros.

P.S i love the aggressive look of the Evo's, they look serious.

JamJay

California Bound
I know where you are coming from JamJay, i have also thought about this long and hard, if i was you i would just sit down and write out the pros/cons of both and go from there, also regarding your comment about the hybrid K04, as it is i could not recommend this to anyone, my setup has uncovered a flaw in the K04 hybrid( because of my extensive setup) that was previously unknow to this forum, actually i have only talked about it now, it comes down to the mismatch of the compressor/turbine/shaft and untill CR sort it out it is NOT a viable option on a car that has highflow mani/TIP/exhaust system etc...

So you can scratch that one of your list of pros.

P.S i love the aggressive look of the Evo's, they look serious.

I had no idea about your latest issues with the hybrid so thanks for sharing. Is this the cause of your surging? This is a great shame indeed, I was getting very excited about these recent developments but never say never, one day it will come good and the BEST looking Leon will have the power it deserves.

Agreed with the Evo, very mean looking and I love the rear diffuser on the IX :).

Dan loves a hybrid :D

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
iam with you on this jay mines going in feb-march next year ive had enough and bored of it now had it 5 year in march so will turn mine back to stand and leave the wheels black but i do want a evo as much as you but iam going a3-s3 2.0 tdi s line getting to old now and the price of fuel going though the roof iam going diesel.

h7 cya

Jun 3, 2009
I totally understand where your coming from Jamjay, Ive not seen your car in the flesh but from the few pictures and the story you have shared through your readers ride thread it certainly is one of the finer looking examples on here with no expense spared.
In regards to the Evo, its a great car and imo a different league to the leon and if i could afford the running costs etc then i know what id have sat outside!
To be honest this weather really brings out the worst in all high powered fwd cars and im sure come spring and the wax comes out, you will fall in love with the Lcr again.
I share your opinion on the mk2 front, the power available is desirable, but its looks and shape (although growing on me day by day) look a step down from the mk 1.
Anyway im sure you will make whichever choice is right for you, if you stick with the clan, then the Leons just gonna get bigger and better. If you go for the evo....I dont think you would be dissapointed.

A picture says 1000 words...

evo.jpg

I'd seriously consider an EVO8/9. A couple of my mates have had them in the past and they've always felt so much faster than their power!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Jay - I think an Evo is a good choice. I wouldnt discount Subarus either...

Depending on how much you drive it and the costs you are willing to pay will be a big factor. A common tune I hear from Evo owners who typically sell after a year or so is that its too expensive to run.

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
Haven't got any thing else I want , my car is a car it's not a luxury like it used to be , gotta move out selling the car won't make any Money

JamJay

California Bound
Thanks for the comments all :).

The running costs aren't a factor for me at the minute as I don't use the car during the week so the 24mpg (at very best) that the Mitsubishi will give is fine, I could currently justify something V8 but nothing has grabbed me thus far.

The roads have dried out sown here now so I took the Leon for a spin. It was so nice to have that power back on the floor and the acceleration felt fierce but the ear to ear grin still isn't as big as it used it be. I caught a glimpse of the car in a mirrored building while I was turning earlier and it's certainly a looker...the choice is tough and I'll spend the next couple of months pondering my options as I don't want to regret the sale.

Dave, this won't turn into a For Sale thread, I'll use the appropriate section should that be the case :)

I have a bit of surplus money so I'm thinking of having a Cat-Back made in January in an effort to gain some love back for the car.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
You'll get the love back for the car mate. I bet once she sounds like she should you will have that grin back! ;)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Thanks for the comments all :).

The running costs aren't a factor for me at the minute as I don't use the car during the week so the 24mpg (at very best) that the Mitsubishi will give is fine, I could currently justify something V8 but nothing has grabbed me thus far.

The roads have dried out sown here now so I took the Leon for a spin. It was so nice to have that power back on the floor and the acceleration felt fierce but the ear to ear grin still isn't as big as it used it be. I caught a glimpse of the car in a mirrored building while I was turning earlier and it's certainly a looker...the choice is tough and I'll spend the next couple of months pondering my options as I don't want to regret the sale.

Dave, this won't turn into a For Sale thread, I'll use the appropriate section should that be the case :)

I have a bit of surplus money so I'm thinking of having a Cat-Back made in January in an effort to gain some love back for the car.
TBH it sounds like you have made your mind up already.
I have been very close a few times to doing the same as you. The EVO is a beast of a car and as there are so many about that tuning comes at a fraction of the cost compared to the LCR.
You know already there will be a cue of seagulls waiting to scavenge the bits off your car and TBH the market is more built around people buying OEM cars.
The people who mod cars want to buy OEM ish and mod it themselves. The people who dont mod cars might buy a slightly modded car, then will come onto SCN and mod the hell out of it.
On a road going LCR anything over stage 2 in my mind is a waste.
You cannot get the grip or fully use the power.
BUT
In a true 4WD the power is cheaper to come by and all of it goes into forward or sideways motion.
Good luck with makin the right choice, its not a bad situation to be in.
Fun times ahead for sure

JayFR150

Fresh & Clean
Jul 20, 2008
Near Gatwick
If you have the dollar to do it, buy your next car before selling the leon. After a week or two you'll know what car to keep and sell the other one!

JamJay

California Bound
Right all, I'm 95% certain that I am going to persevere with the Leon, so much so that plans have already been made for the Cat-Back system to be done followed by Badger 5's 3" TIP and FMIC just before Stage 2 code. My FARB bushes need changing (for good measure more than anything else) but while I'm at it I think I might plump for a thicker 23mm R32 FARB while I'm at it although I have no complaints about the standard 19mm LCR one. The drawback to fitting the R32 FARB is that I'll need to drop the subframe to replace it where as I can do the bushes with everything in situ :think:

JamJay

California Bound
Where would SCN members be without your love and support, Dan :rolleyes:.

It's a 'just for now' thing, I will eventually part ways with this car but not just yet, I don't think that I am ready and I feel that K04-023 based car tuning is really starting to come to life. Apart from the 0-60 FWD lameness, there's not a lot that comes close. When the time comes however, do I stay a child and buy an EVO or grow up and become a ponse with a BMW. I looked at 135i recently...but let's wait until after Summer ;).

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Which bushes you thinking of changing? I am about to change my front ARB and install a rear one along with lowering springs so trying to figure out what else should be done in one bash!

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Good man.... :)

When do you think you'll have the cat-back system done mate? I will be very eager to hear this once it's on. Hopefully all sorted by the RR day? :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise