JamJay's 290bhp Ovni Yellow LCR - Latest: SOLD & Replaced With A BMW 335i Cabrio

Which Cat-Back System Should I Choose?

• Longlife Custom 3" Non-Resonated - £429 Fitted

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Hayward & Scott (Essex) 3" Non-Resonated - £550 Fitted

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Blueflame 2.76" Non-Resonated - £400 Delivered

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Milltek 2.76" > 3" Non-Resonated - £400 Delivered

Votes: 38 39.2%
  • Powerflow Custom 3" Non-Resonated - £330 Fitted

Votes: 26 26.8%

• Total voters

JamJay

California Bound
I'd be too embarrassed to park my car anywhere in the vicinity of yours. Greeneyedmonster.jpg

:lol:

:D Well that's what happens when you throw a grand at the paint work. Well worth it for sure.

dont say that i just brought some the other day.lol whats the problem with it??

loving the new stance by the way looks spot on to me and i love the colour of your wheels mate

I left my wax to settle for 3days, then went over it with the Red Mist and as always, no problems and a stunning finish.

As for the next mod, I think it will be a Cat-back system but I'll be going custom, hopefully this side of Xmas.

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
Normal for spacers to come loose?! I check mine after a couple of weeks (I do very low mileage like you) and they were fine check a year later still fine. I was told NOT to let copper grease get near the bolts as they may cause them to come loose (unlikely but still) only out it on the hubs?

Looks great look froward to seeing the change at the meet then!

Mine came loose about 5 weeks after fitting mine (had done about 900 miles)
The spacers I had bolted onto the hub, then you bolted the wheels onto the spacer.

Basically the car started banging every time I turned left or right, thought one of my CV joints was shot - removed the wheel to check the joint to find the bolts that held the spacer onto the hub had backed right off :-o I had torqued them to 20nm as it said on the packaging, they are now at 30nm and been fine since.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.
Love the car JimJay - the spacers make so much difference - do you have any issues with the wheels rubbing the arches?

JamJay

California Bound
Don't apologise, Alex, it's good to have the info in here for anyone's reference, there's not always room for it in the main MK1 section and makes this build thread a good 'How To' guide :).

Thanks for the feedback though! I have had no isses with the wheels rubbing the arches at all. I've had 3 'light' people in the car and the suspension didn't seem to compress at all, the same when my Dad got in, and he used to make a standard LCR look lowered :D. I reckon I could even go 20mm on the rear without issues at its current height but not sure I want to chance it. The car handles extremely well as it is now, I'll give it a few more weeks to get used to it and then I'll throw on a rear ARB to see how much more of a difference that makes.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
What's up with the Red Mist then? You used to rave about this stuff so something bad must have happened for you to stop using it :shrug:

I still use it, have done for many months now and all is ok.

dont say that i just brought some the other day.lol whats the problem with it??

There is nothing wrong with the product. It is an amazing one and I recommend it to everyone because it is that good.

The problem lies in the fact that it contains solvants. From using lots and lots of products, I origionally came to the conclusion like a lot of other people on DW that its ok to apply 24/48 hours after a wax application.

What I noticed is although that I would apply a very hard wearing wax like collinite 476s and then couple of months later feel the need to spruce up the car alittle and apply a coat of red mist. If I then didnt top up the red mist every 2-3 weeks the beading was killed. NOT completely gone as the water still sheeted so there was evidence of a wax being there but the tightness of beading the quickness of the sheeting died down considerably.

I confirmed this with DK and he noticed the same. I also confirmed this with Rob @ Gleammachine and he noticed it also. SO if you use a wax stick with wax based products or pure sealants that contain no solvants.

My general rule now is wax with wax and sealant with sealant.

Aimez

Must be a Leon thing no one in mk4 section in all the years I have been on here has had this issue.
I have not had a seized wheel bolt but I take my wheels off often enough. I did have the wheels fused to the hubs as I mentioned earlier (after having them powder coated and air gunned on!) when I fitted my rear spacers. Spent hours bashing the wheel off lol was glad it did not happen at the road side. But then I will still try not to get much copper grease on the bolts as I rather they were stuck on than they came loose and my wheel came off IMO.

JamJay

California Bound
Thanks STUSSY :)

I'm trying to pick a good custom exhaust fabricator for the Cat-Back system at the moment. I have a Powerflow centre just down the road but I am dubious due to their repuation for Saxo's etc, am I just being silly though? I want a 2.75" system, non-resonated and with a free flowing rear silencer. The off-shelf systems are all designed to appeal to the masses making them quiet when driving normally and loud when giving it some by tuning the baffles in the rear box but IMO this is the same concept as an NA car with air filter. Granted, I am going to get some drone with the system but the benefit of going custom is that I can tune it. I'll be having the obligatory 6" x 4" oval though, it has grown on me :).

After that the list goes:

- FMIC
- Custom map to suit new parts
- De-baffled charge pipe
- RARB
- FARB
- Bill's 3" TIP
- Engine Mounts

Then I need to decided on hybrid, if a good manifold is around, big turbo, keep as is or sell up in the Summer.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Thanks for the info, after all you are the man in the know ;).

Can you name a good wax based detailer?
Chemical Guys Blitz - contains wax and sealant. Not a quick detailer but you can layer it to your hearts content whenever you want to freshen things up.

brad1

Well, some of us are waiting for the tubular manifold from TSR, i think its in the testing stages atm. B0llocks to the 034 mani

k04mani.jpg

S7000891.jpg

JamJay

California Bound
Not keen on the new Milltek, sounds better than the old one but still too tame for me. Thanks though :)

Thanks jonjay, i'll give that a gow once the Red Mist is gone. How do you rate the finish of Blitz vs Red Mist?

The TSR one looks like the next bet doesn't it but as you say, a pig to fit. I wouldn't attempt it myself anyhow and seeing as the head needs to come off, I may aswell stick some IE rods in there. Then we are really talking about keeping the car for a long time to come though...

JamJay

California Bound
I just wonder if any of you subscribers can help me with this little issue?

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=294829

It's annoying me!

Problem identified, I can confirm the this is the O/S FARB bush. There is roughly a 3mm gap between the bar and the ID of the bush so I will be replacing both bushes ASAP with poly bushes. For the time being I have pumped it full of white grease and the noise has stopped.

I'll leave these posts in here for anyone's reference in case you have the same issye :)

JamJay

California Bound
Hi all, here's an update for you but not what you'd expect. I have a strong feeling to quit the game and sell up as my love affair with FWD is coming abruptly to an end. I love my LCR and is one of the most brutal Stage 1's I've had the pleasure to be in but there comes a time when the things you love just aren't doing it for you any more. In the dry, this car is amazing and has 'crushed' many a highly powered machine so I will definitely miss it if my decision is final.

I have thought long and hard about the routes I can take, even considering (IMO) the ugly MK2 Cupra just for the extra power but the build quality in the MK2 took a step down and I couldn't live with those exterior looks. The S3 is a consideration but I am becoming bored with the VAG refinement and crave something more raw. Secondly, with the recent developments in the K04-023 hybrid area it looked like a possibilty with potentially 330bhp on tap with a good manifold but there still is NO good manifold. Thirdly is the BT option but the car will loose it OE feel and I think that 400bhp in FWD car is far far too much.

This brings me down to my 4th option and back to a teenage love of the Mitsubishi Evolution. I've always loved these cars and have spent years researching their capabilities. I think the LCR will be a hard car to top but I think one of these will ease the pain quite nicely once I crank it up to 400bhp with equal torque. So in the New Year, off I go to view a collection of VIII's & IX's in MR FW300/320 specs, 6spd box (thanks to LCR, this is a must :) from now on), 10.5T hotside, upgraded MR cams etc etc so it's well equipped and ready for a remapping and exhaust right away to circa 380bhp.

This of course may all change next year once I get a dry road and the LCR tries to snap my neck while accelerating but we'll see.

I am in two minds whether to sell the car as a package or send it back to standard. I already have two people seriously interested.

Last edited:

JamJay

California Bound
Thanks Martin & Dan. The LCR is a serious car, no doubt but you're right, more fun can be had elsewhere and I am most looking forward to driving something without FWD.

The MR FQ360 is the same as the MR FQ300 & 320, Dan, all of the internals are the same...as far as I know. The FQ400 is where the major differences lay but as mad as it sounds, I like to tune. Ok so I won't be buying an EVO 260 and buying all the parts to turn it into an MR, then a 400, that's just mad but an MR 300 is good middle ground. The most difficult part is that final 10/15bhp between tuned 300 & becoming a 400, internals need strengthening and also a larger turbocharger iirc. Ideally I'd like a IX as it has a more capable turbocharger but real world differenced between 'stage 1' tuned VIII & IX aren't really there.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.