New mods; OMP Rear strut brace, HID fogs & sprayed engine covers...

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
cheers for most of the comments guys!

to Number86...

... we tested them last night and Craig said they did not blind him at all! :) I only use them when on the motorway at night time in poorly lit areas (i.e. when there are no motorway street lamps or down country lanes etc)

I'm not a chav who drives about with his fogs on, I just feel the need to turn my fogs on when I am in areas with absolutely no street lighting what so ever (parts of dual carriage ways, country lanes etc etc) and as soon as i am back into an area with good lighting i turn them off! you will not catch me driving with them on in town I can assure you of that! :no:

now back to the other replies! :rolleyes:

RikH... unfortunately I haven't got a pic yet of the ballasts fitted!

Il go take some in a bit if I have time!

BCM... no but il take a pic, looks fine and spot on though! :)

Si... i had to drill a hole either side for the brace... remove the carpet and you will see! and I used four 8mm nuts/bolts with washers.

with regards to strutbacer.co.uk yes rob (moffmeister) had bad dealings with him, but despite this I took the risk bought from his ebay site as the brace was £55 delivered as opposed to £83 and It came within 2 days, so as far as im concerned, great service!

lastly RobDon... I see I mounted mine more snugly than you (i did search for pics of yours but lucky couldn't find any! ;)) and after playing with the brackets for about 45 mins decided the way I fitted it was the best way. I did try your way but I thought my way was better as its tucked out of the way much more. strength wise it shouldn't make any difference as the surface area of the brackets which is in contact with the car is the same fitted either way!

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
if you wanted and can be bothered (lol) you could always re mount yours like mine Rob. Just means drilling another two holes and I cant imagine the original two you have drilled would weaken the structure at all?! :shrug:

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
true! but its thanks to you I did this mod Rob! :yes:

still well chuffed with it, because it looks good, makes a noticeable improvement to the handling and only cost £55! :D

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
HID fogs look good james, where did you locate the 2nd set of ballasts!

passenger side is infront of the battery...

DSC09910.jpg

its bolted through one of the bolts which holds a sensor in the intercooler pipe (map sensor?! :shrug: ) and also cable tied in place... its very secure! :)

and its hidden well, but looks good at the same time. you can only see it when you lean over so to speak.

drivers side...

DSC09907.jpg

again i mounted it to the washer bottle, this time literally with the sticky pad supplied, which is very strong! (still keeping my eye on it! ;))

overall look... as you can see they don't look out of place!

DSC09908.jpg

Look good mate, like the engine cover, you got a close ups on the holes on the engine covers with paint on them?

any good for you?!

DSC09914.jpg

DSC09917.jpg

pics don't do the engine covers justice tbh... everyone who has seen them in the flesh has said they make the whole engine bay look much better! :D :)

danieltm

Bit of Jabba magic!
Aug 26, 2006
Norwich
Anyone got a link to the HID's? Seems to be loads on ebay? I was under the impression HID's were £200+? :shrug:

ArosaRacer

Wee man returns in a fL mk2 cupra
Aug 28, 2005
Bayview, Kent
looked good on saturday Jimmy ! shame those led washer jets, alloy rear spoiler and kenwood sticker is on the car and that burbury cap what were you thinking:cry:

james is as much a chav as i am a fooking monkey;)

It looks spot on !

wez1981

just bought me a rear strut brace from the ebay guy!, not a DIY person myself so will keep you posted on how it turns out, great idea though and looks good :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.