Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

t_v

Feb 19, 2021
Ordered a 32GB Skoda SD Card from Lithuania, took a good 10 days to arrive but it is the real thing.

V14 1730 with part no 5L0 051 236 CH Europe 1 (All Europe in SEAT speak).

Ported over my OVERALL.NDS file and it worked straight away.

I have also upgraded my old SEAT V7 Card to V14 with GB (English) language only so both methods work but I think it is prudent to future proof.

Tell

Staff member
32 GB does the back look like this. That's the back of my Skoda card from last year. They were using Swissbit SD cards then.

screenshot_20210525-181529-png.25037

t_v

Feb 19, 2021
32 GB does the back look like this. That's the back of my Skoda card from last year. They were using Swissbit SD cards then.

screenshot_20210525-181529-png.25037
Not like that, branded ATP, made in Taiwan, seems pretty generic.

Tell

Staff member
Not like that, branded ATP, made in Taiwan, seems pretty generic.
Ah well worth asking. Normally those cards have a write once CID so that's configured as one of the VAG, probably some Hex check on it since they are different but interchangeable between VAG. I know the Seat one is different from the Skoda one by that Richard Burton software I used to read the two cards.

Perhaps they got a better deal from them this year than Swissbit 😉. Seat have used ATP in the past.

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
Seat and VW use currently ATP (made in Taiwan) I updated both cars and both was made by ATP.
Picture shows 16GB version but 32GB looks the same. Different are only model type.

By the way @Tell do you have and PersonalPoi files for Seat (MIB2STD)? AS i noticed VW one doesn't match to Seat. Maybe you have some idea how to convert them?

Mine (VW one) are for May 2021.

Attachments

• IMG_20210613_204646.jpg
    IMG_20210613_204646.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 143

Tell

Staff member
I suppose we are now left thinking whether last year's Skoda 32gb was genuine 😍. Safety in numbers, the 32gb Skoda one was made by Swissbit least the same as the German Skoda board that look solice in that they were made in Germany. Mine came from a UK address.

There are Personal Pois and Personal Pois. The actual Personal Pois are Personal generated like this:

Use to be VW software that did it for you in German. People would tout how to do it online using the German words. Now you need some computer skills 😍.

You can add additional personal poi sets yourself.

The VW and Seat ones will be the S for Seat garages and VW or whatever it is for VW garages. Those are seen as specific to the map release by brand (not personal as such). May be the size difference is due to more VW garages than Seat ?.

Many of the file formats are proprietary that it uses although there is one that isn't. SQLite that can be used to peak inside. DB3 is used for Personal POIs. Use to be a preoccupation with Mib1 of editing those to change the radar warning distance of speed camera uploads. Mib2 the warning distance is computed by the speed of the car, Mib1 it was at a fixed distance which people judged was too short. If you see a DB3 then SQLite Expert Personal can be used to peak inside.

I doubt that there is really more built in POI data on the VW site of the card than Seat apart from garages flagged up by brand. That's considered to be the only difference in how the units see the card across brand.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Oh look I have map release 192 installed on my mid2 high. Needs the Skoda navigation lifetime FeC added to your list (08300008).

Still unclear whether this is a new Seat feature that they have abandoned their Seat Mapcare community and all releases from now on won't run on stock Seats without the Skoda navigation lifetime FeC. But don't worry nobody will be able to update if they pull all of them 😂. Nice to be an honorary Skoda driver with a life time navigation FeC - we love Skodas 😍.

It's a DIY task for free if you use Mid Tools and the M.I.B. community. If you keep your own firmware and it is not in their database they can do you a dummy module which enables you to add additional FeCs. Also if you do not want to update the firmware but it is in the database you should be able to update the FeCs. Their FeC list includes the Skoda Navigation FeC plus the Seat lifetime one (073000ee), but can be checked. All that can be done without the software "Whatthefec". Uses a front loaded SD card with Mib Tools on it and the navigation unit in situ in the dash, no bench work, no usb ethernet boxes of previous work on these units.

The dummy module retains your firmware another one is to be brave and update the latest firmware 1447. Chickened out of that at this stage. That's a complete deletion of the existing firmware. Obdeleven / VCDS work before and after although you may need those tools to enable the green menu. You might already have the developers menu enabled but Mib Tools will do that as well.

Haven't tested the one where the software knows about your firmware because it didn't know mine. That must be load the ifs root2 and add FeCs I quess. That option you can restore from backup if the ifs root2 is an issue.

Mib Tools is like a package with package solutions, point and click... you don't type anything in. Menu driven clicks. Driven by either patting the screen to navigate around the GEM menu of the newer mib2 screens or using the right twiddle knob off the older screens to go up and down thru menu choices and click to enter... actions can be observed on YouTube videos of the GEM screen if unsure. The Mib Tool video in the link uses the patting screen method to navigate the GEM menu. Twiddle and press with the right knob was the previous method with the older mib2 screens.

See post on the software thread (I did update these notes to 20/6/2021 so comments to that initial post may not apply, all in one place now, revised and edited):

Click:
Obtaining Lifelong FeC for 192 release

About the 1447 software, I never did it and you need to check whether you can move off what you are on directly to it. But the link does cover downloading Mib Tools if not upgrading the firmware, just patching for FeCs (just need point 0, 5 & 6 from that):

Then you need a friendly person from the M.I.B. collective if you are keeping your firmware and they dont have that in the database of patches to make you a dummy patch. I had @jpmedia.

Having put the returned dummy patch onto the SD card under the patch directory, you just tap add FeC, don't install the patch it's a dummy one (the Skoda navigation FeC will be added to the FeC list supplied) (note a long on / off press to get the unit to reboot to read the changed FeCs):

& all is good 😍. Possibly not for the faint hearted. No animals were maimed or killed in the process 😉.

Follow thru onto the software thread to take it up just wanted to give a quick how to do it here. Normal place for mib2 software over there. For RoW see over there.

20210617_214913.jpg
20210619_085223.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MIB-Wiki

Tell

Staff member
YouTube recommended this to me tonight

Alternative to buying a 32gb SD Vag card for the standard Mib2 although more invasive to the firmware if its a PCP type of car. Haven't tried it. It's a free solution that some people sell in a different form. Similar to the Mib2 High Tool its driven off Gem but about the Mib2 standard.

Don1961

Apr 11, 2019
Hi,
Trying to update my maps to 1730, but the SD card that came with the car isn't big enough..... 14.8GB and I need just over 15. Can I use any 32GB card, so long as I copy the original OVERALL.NDS file?

Tell

Staff member
Hi,
Trying to update my maps to 1730, but the SD card that came with the car isn't big enough..... 14.8GB and I need just over 15. Can I use any 32GB card, so long as I copy the original OVERALL.NDS file?
Only if its Vag card because it reads the CID unless you reprogram the infotainment (more heroic thou that's above).

Options

1. Buy a 32gb VAG card, Skoda, Seat etc for all of Europe
  2. Use one of the zoned for Europe with existing card
  3. Edit the language files, all Europe will then fit

see the resource, top tab under "overview". All require the overall.nds copied from old to new as per the workaround.

I'd go for one 1-3.

3. Is a good fix for now if you believe you are going to travel all Europe.
2. Is pragmatic.
1. Is perfection.

Reactions: Walone and Don1961

Don1961

Apr 11, 2019
Only if its Vag card because it reads the CID unless you reprogram the infotainment (more heroic thou that's above).

Options

1. Buy a 32gb VAG card, Skoda, Seat etc for all of Europe
  2. Use one of the zoned for Europe with existing card
  3. Edit the language files, all Europe will then fit

see the resource, top tab under "overview". All require the overall.nds copied from old to new as per the workaround.

I'd go for one 1-3.

3. Is a good fix for now if you believe you are going to travel all Europe.
2. Is pragmatic.
1. Is perfection.
Thanks @Tell. I think I'll download Europe bundle 2. As it's smaller and I can't really see me driving all over Europe.

Tell

Staff member
Thanks @Tell. I think I'll download Europe bundle 2. As it's smaller and I can't really see me driving all over Europe.
Think driving across Europe isn't going to happen anytime soon.... then you got the hassle of Brexit as well. French police will be minting it in on violations of fire extinguishers, alcohol testing kits, vests and the lot. Looking for easy targets 😂.

Reactions: Don1961 and Walone

G_mac86

Sep 2, 2020
I updated my sat Nav and now find it's about 3 seconds behind the roads on the screen. Anyone else find this has happened? I used the full Europe map and deleted the other languages.

Tell

Staff member
I find the mib2 standard registration of the road to the map sometimes lags behind, now turn left on a roundabout when you have left it etc. I did report it to TomTom once as a map issue at that location. They accepted my input. Mind you still does it, at that point.

The high unit learns your location by the road bends. If reset it will loose where you are on the map by 25 metre or something but after driving down a road with bends recalibrates itself to get the registration. Apparent when I was heavily fiddling with it to get the 192 maps in. Recalibrated itself so I stopped getting worried after ten minutes later.

I have seen calibration settings on YouTube videos on the green menu but may be mib1. Suspect it's just the map release. You would expect the GIS database to index the maps pretty fast so will not be the size of the map.

May be the old workstudy thing... You got to change the light bulbs to increase productivity.... subjective.

Or getting lost on a map... although with mib2 high it definitely is true calibration needs to be autocorrected after you fiddle with the backend.

Its this recalibration of GPS to the road that non built in users of car navigation don't get, so jittery GPS location puts them off road, whilst the car doesn't jitter... least on a high.

As a footnote I mused over whether the newer mib2 standard system with access to three different sat systems, US, Russian and Chinese may not marry the output up too well. Mib2 high, the one I've got is just on the US constellation. Can tell that by satellites seen compared with the mib2 standard.

Leo5559

Nov 27, 2018
Hello all,
sys.jpg

I need a little help pls, I have seat leon 2017, bought in march 2018, Iam going on vacation next week and I want to update the maps also you can see the system information on the picture I attached.

Also I dont know which MIB I own, I want to know just in case, I see a lot of discussions about that, It is MIB1 or 2?

Iam little confused because SEAT updated the web and only there is guide for cars from 2018 and onwards. Also there are two types Navi System - 6P0 and Navi System Plus, I guess I got the 6P0 version right?

Thanks in advance.

Tell

Staff member
Hello all, View attachment 25896

I need a little help pls, I have seat leon 2017, bought in march 2018, Iam going on vacation next week and I want to update the maps also you can see the system information on the picture I attached.

Also I dont know which MIB I own, I want to know just in case, I see a lot of discussions about that, It is MIB1 or 2?

Iam little confused because SEAT updated the web and only there is guide for cars from 2018 and onwards. Also there are two types Navi System - 6P0 and Navi System Plus, I guess I got the 6P0 version right?

Thanks in advance.
That is indeed a mib2 standard from the 6p you see under the navigation database.

You follow the workaround instructions in the resource section:

You first take a copy of the card to your PC, if all fails you have a copy. There is one file you need from that see the workaround instructions. Then follow the text from Updating a Standard Mib2.

Current map releases are shown under the section "Current release see".. link below that.

One variation now is that the all release for Europe is greater than the 16gb card. Options

- use one on the zines released
- edit the language files of the all European release (temporary fix till all Europe out grows 16gb even with the mod)
- Buy a 32gb new VAG card

Suspect in the Covid climate nobody apart from lorry drivers are driving across Europe so one of the zoned releases is adequate.

All the current map option downloads are here:

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/th...b1-card-solution.388586/page-121#post-4971082

If using a Mac you need to follow the Keka / CleanMydrive instruction, PC 7zip.

You must follow the workaround instructions in particular 9. Copying back your existing overall.nds file else it will not work.

Reactions: Leo5559

Leo5559

Nov 27, 2018
That is indeed a mib2 standard from the 6p you see under the navigation database.

You follow the workaround instructions in the resource section:

You first take a copy of the card to your PC, if all fails you have a copy. There is one file you need from that see the workaround instructions. Then follow the text from Updating a Standard Mib2.

Current map releases are shown under the section "Current release see".. link below that.

One variation now is that the all release for Europe is greater than the 16gb card. Options

- use one on the zines released
- edit the language files of the all European release (temporary fix till all Europe out grows 16gb even with the mod)
- Buy a 32gb new VAG card

Suspect in the Covid climate nobody apart from lorry drivers are driving across Europe so one of the zoned releases is adequate.

All the current map option downloads are here:

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/th...b1-card-solution.388586/page-121#post-4971082

If using a Mac you need to follow the Keka / CleanMydrive instruction, PC 7zip.

You must follow the workaround instructions in particular 9. Copying back your existing overall.nds file else it will not work.
thank you very much.

I downloaded all europe maps, and they are more that 16gb, instead deleting the languages, can i delete unnecessary maps?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members