VW TDi Emissions software scandal

Julian1977

Jan 28, 2015
Page 2 of your V5. Section 4 'vehicle details' sub section P.5 'engine number'
As for service book , we've got one ( 64 Cupra) and have for all our Leon's.

My V5 says that I have a CKF. The service book says CKFC. No idea what it means. Can you help please? Thank you.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I cant say for sure, but the engine with one Catylist is likely a PGM (platimum group metals) DPF, - that is its a standard catylist process in a particulate filter. A by product of this is nitrogen dioxide, commonly referred to as NOx.
The second engine that has TWO filters could be newer technology where the first filter is a more standard type catylist, a 'flow through PGM catylist, so no particulate filter. While the second filter is a particulate filter, but is a copper based catylist process developed to reduce NOx.

Seems to be aluminium titanate or silicone carbide based according to the self study guide
http://pics3.tdiclub.com/data/517/820433_EA288.pdf

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Interesting graphs on PH
NOxEmissionsComparison.png

The new diesels are dirtier than a 35 year old Golf Diesel (as tested)!

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
All these people flapping about engine types etc. What are you going to do if you think yours is one ? ( remembering its actually software that's dodgy, and they've lied before.... ) what can you actually do?
1. Stop driving it. - not much use.
2. Write a letter to Percy Polar bear pleading forgiveness.- pointless.
3. Write letters to all the residents on the East coast whose homes are affected by coastal erosion? - well meaning but equally pointless.
4. Driving round in sack cloth and ashes - uncomfortable but whatever turns you on.
5. Drive round with " I am a dirty b'stard ' emblazoned on your car - may lead to physical violence against self for unspecified reasons.
6. Try to sue VAG - pointless until something concrete is decided.
So basically you can do sweet fa so worrying about it isn't going to change a thing.
Worry about things you can change. Your health . Your diet. Your weight. Your lifestyle.even your gender. :D

andycupra

status subject to change
If you are just looking at NOx then modern cars can look worse, - why, - this is due to the fact that we now have cars with catylitic converters, the process of which produces NOx as a sort of by product. originally NOx wasnt something they perceived as an issue and so as more and more cars reduced the pollutants they were aiming for NOx increased.
Over the last few years emission regulations have tightened and recently new regulations have come in for NOx which is now considered a risk.

The graphs above are statistics, which you can adjust to suit. I could argue that the NOx going up shows better pollution control as its an indication of established pollution control technology.
This is why the engines pictured in this thread have one with TWO cats, one to do the traditional catilysing the second aimed at particulates and NOx.

Funnily when i was a process engineer VW was our main and massive customer!

Last edited:

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire
I have a 2013 184 TDI Leon which is a euro 5 !!
From what I understand, there are (at least) two versions of the 184PS TDi engine that went into the Mk3 Leon - mine's a 2013 car with engine code 'CUPA', and I think it's only EU5 compliant, so would agree with what craigr73 posted. The other variant mentioned on here is 'CUNA' - if that's the one they're currently putting in, then can we assume that is EU6 complaint?

Having done some digging around - it is possible to have an EA189 184 TDi !!!!
The CUNA engine code is the EA189 motor
The CUPA engine code is the EA288 motor
I'd be interested to know the source of this - I'd have thought those two should be the other way around...

Ideally, it'd be good to get a list of which engine codes are from which engine family.

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
From what I understand, there are (at least) two versions of the 184PS TDi engine that went into the Mk3 Leon - mine's a 2013 car with engine code 'CUPA', and I think it's only EU5 compliant, so would agree with what craigr73 posted. The other variant mentioned on here is 'CUNA' - if that's the one they're currently putting in, then can we assume that is EU6 complaint?

I'd be interested to know the source of this - I'd have thought those two should be the other way around...

Ideally, it'd be good to get a list of which engine codes are from which engine family.

Mine is a CUNA engine and is definitely an EA288.

Houghsx

Aug 11, 2015
Mine comes out as maybe with a a manual check.

I can't physically check the engine as I'm away so will look when back home.

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK

This indicates the CUNA is an EA189 motor - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_diesel_engines

And then this indicates that CUNA and CUPA are both EA288 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Škoda_Octavia

Last edited:

LeonMunkee

Jan 5, 2008
Reading, Berkshire

marc_fr

Feb 11, 2013
Seems like we will find out very soon if affected... .bbc.co.uk/news/business-34390369

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.