VW TDi Emissions software scandal

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Not as big as you think. A for power at night, you've heard of batteries right?

Yes, technology is new and not quite there but it is improving.

Regardless of an individuals view on man made climate change, there's no denying oil is a finite resource. That should be enough of a reason to find alternatives.

(after re reading that I see it might come across a bit more sarcastic than I intended)

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Batteries, no never heard of them. Why are wind turbines not connected to batteries then? Answer, because the battery would be the size of a house. Plus how much CO2 and pollution is produced mining the minerals to make your batteries? Not to mention disposing of them.
Again if you read what i wrote i never said that we shouldn't replace fossil with other things, just that it should be nuclear fusion and not BS windmills and solar panels. Solar might make sense if you live in southern spain etc, but how much power are you going to produce on a winters day in england from a solar panel? Probably not enough to charge your laptop let alone a tesla!

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
I never said they weren't mate if you look at what i wrote originally! I said as CO2 levels rise, so does plant growth and that they use CO2 and produce oxygen. Maybe some of you should learn to read, as well as think for yourselves!?!

His comment was aimed at the part where i said the amount of CO2 we produce is nothing compared to what oceans,plants and volcanos produce. Never did i say that plants produce more CO2 than they use!

They produce CO2 at night and thats a fact.

But if youve covered even more land with people, buildings and removed trees then plants cant increase can they?
" An estimated 18 million acres (7.3 million hectares) of forest, which is roughly the size of the country of Panama, are lost each year, according to the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)"
Source http://www.livescience.com/27692-deforestation.html

Common sense tells me that due to population growth, industrialisation, pollution over a short space of time theres going to be an effect. Forget anybodies facts or statistics its simple logic. Our weather is less predictable, theres measurable change.

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
I found an article earlier suggests the ea288 family of engines started 2012 - any 150/184 engines in golfs are euro6 compliant, I think of the Leon's the mk2 will have the dodgy engine block

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is a CUNA EA288 engine and is a 2014, 64 plate!

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
But if youve covered even more land with people, buildings and removed trees then plants cant increase can they?
" An estimated 18 million acres (7.3 million hectares) of forest, which is roughly the size of the country of Panama, are lost each year, according to the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)"
Source http://www.livescience.com/27692-deforestation.html

Common sense tells me that due to population growth, industrialisation, pollution over a short space of time theres going to be an effect. Forget anybodies facts or statistics its simple logic. Our weather is less predictable, theres measurable change.

I didn't say the amount of plants would increase, just the rate at which they grow, and hence the amount of CO2 they take from the air and replace with oxygen.

I agree with you that we should be doing more about deforestation and people pouring toxic chemicals into the rivers and oceans as well. I don't want to live in a dirty, polluted planet any more than you do.

I also agree with you that we are without doubt adding CO2 and other gases into the atmosphere.
Where i do disagree however, is that just because we've had a few droughts or stormy winters etc etc over the last few years, that that amounts to any kind of evidence that we are influencing the weather/climate. Considering the earth is 4.54billion years old, the time frame you mention is just too small to prove anything, it could easily be a statistical blip.

Most of europe was covered by ice 20,000 years ago, then it all melted. That climate change certainly wasn't caused by us, so even if the climate is warming slightly and it's not a statistical blip, then it could well be caused by natural phenomenon anyway.

If someone can show me convincing evidence that we are changing the climate, then i will believe it. Someones "common sense" or some climate change scientists "computer model" proves nothing in terms of actual evidence.
Computers are just big calculators, the answer you get depends completely on the data you feed into them. I could write you a program that says the climate is going to cool by 50C next year or that the sun orbits the earth if you wanted me too... only long term statistical evidence will convince me that any climate change is man-made.

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
I didn't say the amount of plants would increase, just the rate at which they grow, and hence the amount of CO2 they take from the air and replace with oxygen.

I agree with you that we should be doing more about deforestation and people pouring toxic chemicals into the rivers and oceans as well. I don't want to live in a dirty, polluted planet any more than you do.

I also agree with you that we are without doubt adding CO2 and other gases into the atmosphere.
Where i do disagree however, is that just because we've had a few droughts or stormy winters etc etc over the last few years, that that amounts to any kind of evidence that we are influencing the weather/climate. Considering the earth is 4.54billion years old, the time frame you mention is just too small to prove anything, it could easily be a statistical blip.

Most of europe was covered by ice 20,000 years ago, then it all melted. That climate change certainly wasn't caused by us, so even if the climate is warming slightly and it's not a statistical blip, then it could well be caused by natural phenomenon anyway.

If someone can show me convincing evidence that we are changing the climate, then i will believe it. Someones "common sense" or some climate change scientists "computer model" proves nothing in terms of actual evidence.
Computers are just big calculators, the answer you get depends completely on the data you feed into them. I could write you a program that says the climate is going to cool by 50C next year or that the sun orbits the earth if you wanted me too... only long term statistical evidence will convince me that any climate change is man-made.

Give up with your plant thing already. You were wrong, just admit it.

Pinky

Sep 27, 2015
I've seen nothing from Seat UK so far on this and VW had a short statement on its website. As somebody awaiting delivery its a bit off putting. Although from what I have seen if you have Euro6 compliant engine you are okay at the moment or until VW announce the :censored: goes further ?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
The cp in section 3 relates to cupa engine???

Look at this one -
Build_Sticker_Owner_Manual.jpg

The engine code for that car is BAP

Pinky

Sep 27, 2015
I take it there is a plate in the engine bay with all the build info too?

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
anything after 1/9/15 has to be euro 6 compliant its mandatory, any of the mk3s will be in the a288 family

found an article online that suggested anything from when the mk7 golf was launched was euro 6 compliant, so mk3 owners should be fine id expect

Pinky

Sep 27, 2015
anything after 1/9/15 has to be euro 6 compliant its mandatory, any of the mk3s will be in the a288 family

found an article online that suggested anything from when the mk7 golf was launched was euro 6 compliant, so mk3 owners should be fine id expect

Yeah, this is my understanding but that comes from the action the Swiss have taken and other snippets. The silence from Seat & VW UK is deafening.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
I just went online to a seat dealer found a mk7 golf gt tdi and a seat Leon fr 184 - under the tax/go green lists as euro 6 compliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
VW should really be able to name every car make and model that is affected and outline what they are going to do about it within each sales territory. No news just adds to the uncertainty and frustration that customers are feeling and each day that passes lowers their credibility further.

We shouldn't have to be second guessing what VW should already know!!!