VW TDi Emissions software scandal

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
For every wind turbine and solar panel, you still have to have an alternative power source availible for when there's no wind or sun.
Maybe tidal and other hydro sources have some merit, but then if we believe in man made global warming(i don't) then we'll all be plauged by drought so that renders them useless too!

You dont think that man has added to co levels in the atmosphere?

sandancer

May 20, 2014
Does that mean that the secondhand value of the petrol and perhaps even more so TSI type engines will increase due to the presumably lower resale value of diesels after the scandal? Looks like I may have chosen wisely 4 years ago (but I already knew that ...loving the TSI!)

Maybe it's a coincidence but I used Compare the Market on Tuesday for a quote to insure my 1.2 TSI SE and the cheapest was £199.67. Just gone to renew and the cheapest is £240.04

Everything within the quote is exactly the same details that I entered on Tuesday, the only difference is we are a few days nearer my renewal. I know premiums can change by the minute but a jump if £41 seems a bit much.

Am I just being paranoid?:confused::shrug:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Strange that despite people complaining for years of not being able to achieve anything like the manufacturers figures for fuel economy, its only when emissions are a problem that something is done.
Does the average person really care ( or know) about their cars emissions?
I chose the TDi Passat I have as a work car because, at the time , it was the cheapest for company car tax ( hence I pay less) and for our personal travel abroad it would do more per gallon and diesel was cheaper- pay less again.
Do I care now if the emissions are incorrect? Yes. If its going to cost me more money.
In terms of damage to the polar bears, tree huggers etc I'm sure there are plenty more devices chucking out immeasurably more poisons than my piddling 2.0 diesel.
Just a thought, if this software detects a 'test' is taking place, will ot do the same on a rolling road session?
And for all those with gutted or none existent DPF's.......... Oh dear....

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Yes paranoid, insurance prices fluctuate all the time. Also for people worried about tax, remember that it's based on the co2 figures not the nox figures which is what this scandal is about

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
Maybe it's a coincidence but I used Compare the Market on Tuesday for a quote to insure my 1.2 TSI SE and the cheapest was £199.67. Just gone to renew and the cheapest is £240.04

Everything within the quote is exactly the same details that I entered on Tuesday, the only difference is we are a few days nearer my renewal. I know premiums can change by the minute but a jump if £41 seems a bit much.

Am I just being paranoid?:confused::shrug:

some insurers use live pricing so it can fluctuate daily

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
You dont think that man has added to co levels in the atmosphere?

Of course we've added a tiny amount of CO2... But at the same time, the percentage of CO2 in the air is still 0.04% the same as it was 500 or 1000 years ago before we'd added anything.
If you take the misleading parts per million (ppm) which the enviromentalists love to use, say 400ppm now and then the 440ppm they claim we will reach in 20/30 years time, they both still represent 0.04% of the air we breath. Even if we doubled CO2 to 800ppm (which we won't) that would still only equate to 0.08% of the air!

The oceans, plants and volcanos etc produce so much CO2 each year that it makes our contribution pale into insignificance, yet the earth has maintained the level of CO2 around the 400ppm or 0.04%. How? because IMO, as CO2 rises, so does the rate of plant growth, and they breath in CO2 and give out oxygen instead.

Forgive the analogy, but it's a bit like saying one drop of p*ss in the ocean or two! Yes you've doubled the amount of p*ss in the ocean, but on the big scheme of things then if you're going for a swim, it makes absolutely no difference.

If we'd invested the same amount of money into nuclear fusion (fusion, not fission that we use now) that we have into useless windmills and solar panels the we might actually be a lot closer to having a truly clean power source that produces electricity 24/7!

As for the global warming "scientists" who tell us we are all going to die etc etc, if they admitted that there was no man-made global warming, then their jobs and multimillion pound grants would disapear overnight. If thats not a vested interest than i don't know what is?

All of this is my opinion from observing the evidence and sitting and thinking about it, i may be wrong, but i just wish more people would sit back and think about things for themselves, rather than blindly accepting everything they are told by the media etc....... At one time every "scientist" would have told you the earth was flat!

Last edited:

Houghsx

Aug 11, 2015
At this time - the EA288 engine in the Leon 184 is not included in this scandal.

It is only the EA189 engine.

However - I agree that this will hit Diesel retail values for a while.
Sorry for what might seem a silly question but if I have a 64 plate 184 I will have the ea288 engine.

Cheers

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
Yes - would appear the 150 and 184 engines are ea288 which is euro 6 compliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Yes - would appear the 150 and 184 engines are ea288 which is euro 6 compliant

Having done some digging around - it is possible to have an EA189 184 TDi !!!!

You need to look at your log book or section 3 of the sticker in your service book.

The CUNA engine code is the EA189 motor
The CUPA engine code is the EA288 motor

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
Of course we've added a tiny amount of CO2... But at the same time, the percentage of CO2 in the air is still 0.04% the same as it was 500 or 1000 years ago before we'd added anything.
If you take the misleading parts per million (ppm) which the enviromentalists love to use, say 400ppm now and then the 440ppm they claim we will reach in 20/30 years time, they both still represent 0.04% of the air we breath. Even if we doubled CO2 to 800ppm (which we won't) that would still only equate to 0.08% of the air!

The oceans, plants and volcanos etc produce so much CO2 each year that it makes our contribution pale into insignificance, yet the earth has maintained the level of CO2 around the 400ppm or 0.04%. How? because IMO, as CO2 rises, so does the rate of plant growth, and they breath in CO2 and give out oxygen instead.

Forgive the analogy, but it's a bit like saying one drop of p*ss in the ocean or two! Yes you've doubled the amount of p*ss in the ocean, but on the big scheme of things then if you're going for a swim, it makes absolutely no difference.

If we'd invested the same amount of money into nuclear fusion (fusion, not fission that we use now) that we have into useless windmills and solar panels the we might actually be a lot closer to having a truly clean power source that produces electricity 24/7!

As for the global warming "scientists" who tell us we are all going to die etc etc, if they admitted that there was no man-made global warming, then their jobs and multimillion pound grants would disapear overnight. If thats not a vested interest than i don't know what is?

All of this is my opinion from observing the evidence and sitting and thinking about it, i may be wrong, but i just wish more people would sit back and think about things for themselves, rather than blindly accepting everything they are told by the media etc....... At one time every "scientist" would have told you the earth was flat!

Firstly, plants absorb C02, not produce it. Secondly, PPM IS relevant, if you do your research, as % is too large a measure. No way am I a greeny but get your facts right.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
I found an article earlier suggests the ea288 family of engines started 2012 - any 150/184 engines in golfs are euro6 compliant, I think of the Leon's the mk2 will have the dodgy engine block

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Firstly, plants absorb C02, not produce it. Secondly, PPM IS relevant, if you do your research, as % is too large a measure. No way am I a greeny but get your facts right.

Plants produce CO2 every night when they have no light for photosynthesis..........So maybe you need to get your facts right before you get lippy with me!

I never said PPM was irrelevent, just misleading.... Touch a greenie nerve did i? lol

Last edited:

DaFoot

Jun 16, 2014
Sheffield
www.dafoot.co.uk
You'd need a pretty big roof and a lot of sun to charge a tesla! Add to that the fact 99% of people would be charging their cars overnight when there is no sun.

The only "clean" power source that makes any sense IMO is nuclear. ( and yes i know you still have to find something to do with the waste)

What do you do on a windless night if we all rely on wind and solar? ... Sorry your (insert family member here) died, but we didn't have any wind last night, so we didn't have any power for the life support machine or any of the other hospital equipment etc etc.

Solar and wind power is an expensive joke that the rest of us have to subsidise... a bit like "clean" diesel cars. How can a car that spews out NOx and soot be charged £30 a year, yet my petrol cupra costs £290?
Not as big as you think. A for power at night, you've heard of batteries right?

Yes, technology is new and not quite there but it is improving.

Regardless of an individuals view on man made climate change, there's no denying oil is a finite resource. That should be enough of a reason to find alternatives.

(after re reading that I see it might come across a bit more sarcastic than I intended)

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Toon

drives a Leon 1.8DSG
Mar 25, 2014
South East
Plants produce CO2 every night when they have no light for photosynthesis..........So maybe you need to get your facts right before you get lippy with me!

But plants are net absorbers of CO2 !!!

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol

But plants are net absorbers of CO2 !!!

I never said they weren't mate if you look at what i wrote originally! I said as CO2 levels rise, so does plant growth and that they use CO2 and produce oxygen. Maybe some of you should learn to read, as well as think for yourselves!?!

His comment was aimed at the part where i said the amount of CO2 we produce is nothing compared to what oceans,plants and volcanos produce. Never did i say that plants produce more CO2 than they use!

They produce CO2 at night and thats a fact.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.