VW TDi Emissions software scandal

Alakiha

Sep 21, 2015
Finland
So basically even this 1.4 ACT engine (or up coming ACT engines) are also some kind of cheating?
//
I have not received the car yet it seems it has lost its value already!

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
Well I'm just going to continue to drive my car any way and anywhere I wish until the law tells me I can't.

craigr73

Apr 11, 2014
Beverley
yeah my fr diesel 184 apparently throws out 109 co'2 s. only 20 quid tax. That sounds too good to be true - maybe because it is !

Houghsx

Aug 11, 2015
That'll be anything that's small and turbo charged. Everyone knows if you keep them off boost they'll be as economical as the engine size suggests. Great for computers to rig.
But once you put your foot down that power has to come from somewhere and that 14:1 air fuel ratio doesn't change. So for as much air as the turbo compresses the fuel injectors will be putting in the same fuel.
I wonder what is deemed as a small engine?

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
I'd imagine the act is the easiest one to rig. If they have the software to know when it's being tested then no doubt it'll be running on 2 cylinders alot more during the test

sootytorques

Sep 9, 2013
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...000-cars-have-false-co2-and-mpg-certification

"A VW spokesman has confirmed that the latest scandal affects Audi, Seat, Skoda and VW cars with what are described as "small" engines. Reports suggest that cars powered by the 1.4-litre four-cylinder petrol engine with Cylinder On Demand technology are affected. Further reports suggest that VW BlueMotion diesel models with three and four-cylinder diesel engines are also affected"

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...000-cars-have-false-co2-and-mpg-certification

"A VW spokesman has confirmed that the latest scandal affects Audi, Seat, Skoda and VW cars with what are described as "small" engines. Reports suggest that cars powered by the 1.4-litre four-cylinder petrol engine with Cylinder On Demand technology are affected. Further reports suggest that VW BlueMotion diesel models with three and four-cylinder diesel engines are also affected"
Yep - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/volkswagen-emissions-scandal/volkswagen-emission-scandal-co2-figures-now-implicated-for-the-first-time/ looks like the ACT is affected!

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
In my country (Estonia) there's no car taxes, so CO2 emissions don't affect me personally what so ever. And to be honest, the mileage with this engine is better than I originally anticipated. So no complaints from my side at the moment for the 1.4 TSI ACT 150.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Just a bit more food for thought.

The recall for the earlier nox issue involves new software and in somecases new fuel injectors. Alot of us were complaining about possible power loses as a result of these modifications. Surely something has to give.
So I'm thinking perhaps this confession of overly exaggerated fuel consumption and co2 figures is away for them to be rewritten so that vw's engineer's can work to an easier remit?

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
bet the other manufacturers are shitting bricks aswell. This co2 confession might drag them in as they've got to be using similar tricks. VW might be trying to level the playing field.

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
bet the other manufacturers are shitting bricks aswell. This co2 confession might drag them in as they've got to be using similar tricks. VW might be trying to level the playing field.

The UK government did say they won't be adjusting VED bands for the nox issue

I wonder if the co2 issue will have them re-thinking that decision based on the co2 figures being used for VED.

Toff

Apr 13, 2009
Nottingham
From the BBC article:

"Cars with 1.4, 1.6 and 2.0 litre motors are thought to be releasing more of the greenhouse gas, CO2, than previous tests had shown."

Looks like it could affect all the MK3 diesels then

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
From the BBC article:

"Cars with 1.4, 1.6 and 2.0 litre motors are thought to be releasing more of the greenhouse gas, CO2, than previous tests had shown."

Looks like it could affect all the MK3 diesels then

If you go on the seat website and type in your reg number it will tell you whether your vehicle is affected. My 184 fr isn't so clearly it isn't going to affect all mk3 diesels.

Interesting today , hearing that it could now affect petrol models. Wonder how all the petrol owners who were feeling smug for not buying a diesel feel now lol!

To be honest I couldn't care about it. My car runs fine and I don't care what the emission rating is.

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
Well apparently petrol units are now effected, the 1.4 and 2.0 litre petrol units I'm assuming the 1.6 is the diesel as we previously know. I think the Cupra is going to plummet even more in value...

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Couldn't give a flying f..k if the Cupra is affected. Didn't buy it for its polar bear saving abilities. Nor as a ' long term investment' :rofl: bought it to enjoy for now as tomorrow might not arrive.
Equally work ride is due for change, and I'm actively considering same again, diesel Passat.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
I looked at buying an almost new 2.0 Passat TDI SCR 190 from a local VW dealer, despite the alleged inability for VAG dealers to shift cars at the mo they didn't want to budge on the price (fair enough) but the cheeky feckers offered me below the CAP value on mine, stating used car prices have been hugely effected at present due to a lack of confidence in the brand.

Looks like I'm gonna give up trying to part-ex mine. A few dealers point blank declined to even appraise it and I've had offers as low as £10k for it. Every dealer stating that they won't be able to shift it due to the negative press at the mo.

I don't want to get rid because any of this emissions rubbish, I couldn't give 5hit TBF. I'd happily buy another VAG diesel.

I just find it odd as CAP themselves put out something in the press that early indications allude to a potential 2-3% has been wiped off the used value of VAG diesels at present which really doesn't tally with what I'm getting told/offered by dealers. Obviously the dealers are using this to their advantage.

Last edited:

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
If the 1.4 TSI ACT in the Mk3 Leon is included in this mess, I hope whatever updates they need to make don't affect the engine's performance. From, what I understood the potential problem with the petrol engines is CO2 and mpg. I hope VW just change the specs in their brocures and keep the engines as is.
Or if they manage to correct the figures without the engine suddenly getting less power, torque or feel less responsive or sluggish after the update have at it :)

StylancePaul

CUPRA Owner
May 31, 2006
Cambridge, UK
So what if my car throws out a few more CO2s than I was expecting, it does that every day, as I dont use Start Stop.

My view is that by owning the Cupra I'm helping the environment, the sooner I use up as much petrol as I can, the sooner it runs out, that way were forced to find a viable alternative.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.