mufflerectomy or milltek cat back? anyone got a photo of oval milltek exhaust?

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
Want to get rid of the back box on my 57 'FR' pd130 and replace with a staight pipe with an oval tail pipe, was thinking of prices of about 100-120quid, as dont want to spend a lot, and from searching through threads and threads it seems that a mufflerectomy is a great way to get a better sound of my oil burner...without spending a lot, however i cant find anywhere who will do me a deal for under £200,

in that case, with awesome GTI's offer on milltek cat-back no res exhaust for about 260 is it worth biting the bullet and getting one of them? or should i just carry on trying to find somewhere to do a mufflerectomy?

have tried 3 custom exhaust places near me and all give me offers of about £200..

:cry:

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
any help? looking for places in nw london and home counties?

or whether or not i might as well pay the extra and get milltek cat-back? as looking on improvement in noise

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
imo the prices you have been quoted are quite high and you might as well spend the extra £60 for the full system not just the backbox.

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
yea thats what im thinking....price does seem high, and looking through threads on here under 'mufflerectomy' it seems people are paying under £100 with tail pipe! dont know why i cant find anywhere that will do it for under £200!

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
i looked into it aswell and most of the garages round mine want silly money to do it which is why ill prob do milltec when i have some cash.

Aimez

What's the Awesome deal gonna give you a bit of extra power or just better sound. Sounds interesting having the same car as you (but older!) What do you want form the exhaust and are you gonna get a remap or do more in the future as this may help things. your tempting me into this rather than coilovers now!

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
hmmmm, well remap is coming in april after my holiday!

dont plan on doing anything more...hybrid etc....so a full system does not seem worth it to me.

therefore cat-back seems the option...from here i have two options it seems

milltek cat back....or custom made cat-back...both seem about same price so prob would have to be milltek

or

Straight pipe from cat-back..with oval tail pipe, like the cupra...have seen people getting this done for 90 quid, but i cant find anywhere near me that can do anywhere near that price.

Performance wise i'm not fussed if the exhaust doesnt give me anything more, its more for the look and sound, therefore the reason i want it done cheap.

I definately do not want a loud 'chavvy' sound ,i want a nice deep noise when i boot it :) i have heard several sound clips on here from people with straight pipe from cat-back and it sounds great!

RossIBIZATDI

RossTDI
Dec 26, 2007
Well my milltek cat back non res arrived today so will have it fitted by the weekend and report back. I am ordering the downpipe with de-cat too before the offer ends so wil let you know what it's like when i've got the cat back on then when i've fitted the downpipe too.

Aimez

Sounds like what I want actually, would you go non resonated then? Would this go through MOT, I'm not sure about that side of things as manufactures tend to put for track sue only not road legal in tiny print!
See awesome have this priced at £261 incl fitting or delivery not bad!

Apr 1, 2007
my milltek turboback non-resonated exhaust fitted today and the thing sounds so gooood, turbo spools quicker and car feels more powerfull. do it trust me

Aimez

Did you get oval or twin, hmmm really thinking of this now as don't think it will ever be this cheap to get a proper Milltek again. was gonna get coilovers but think this may be a better idea at this price! Did you get yours from Awesome, how long did it take to arrive?

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
right def getting oval exit...and at 261 posted its a steal...how much would a garage charge to fit? surely its an easy job?

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
awesome we can both get them and report back hahaha

its a cheap mod really if you see what your getting! hopefully not a lot fitting...even an exhuast centre should be able to do it!

let me know if you get quotes to fit it

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
my mate said he would do it free....but he lives in dartford...60miles away! is just a straight swap? or do you need new hangers etc...?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members