Hi BillyC,
No I hadn't tried that, so infrequently it's done it I kinda missed the boat.
It seems 4-3/4 years ago the fluid was changed.
I can't really tell at what level it's at: is there a trick? The white placcy walls don't really let you distinguish the fluid level easily. Yup it seems to change it is sensible, esp as I have sone dot4.
Any idea how much fluid the system takes?? Ive searched
YouTube for clips/ tips on
how to do the job, but nothing much there to
help tbh.
useful advice- many thanks, Zoot
I've only just seen your reply and see that you've had quite a few answers already.
I changed brake fluid a few weeks ago. I'd "practiced"

on my wife's old Volvo V40 (new front calipers and pads all round) and also her Kia Sorento. Once you get your head round it, it's not too bad. I got a power bleeder to
help pressurise the system it makes it a one man job (rather than the old school method of having someone pressing the brake pedal).
You basically take the 4 wheels off (or do the 2 rear and then the 2 fronts if easier). I'm sure a
garage may not need to do that if it's on a ramp. On my block paving, wheels off is far easier. You bleed each corner to allow a certain amount of old fluid to come through and get on to the new stuff. If the old stuff is really old, it's literally a different colour. You can also use a turkey baster to remove the old fluid from the reservoir to
help speed things up as you start with fresh fluid in the tank.
I did have to buy an additional universal adjustable cap for the brake fluid reservoir as well, as the supplied one didn't fit it (so many sizes!).
Anyway - it can be done but you need a level of confidence in what you are doing. Having the right kit really helped as well.
If you are unsure in any way, get the
garage to do it. They'll have all the right tools and it isn't a big job.
Hope that helps but let us know how you get on.
PS - One of the other reasons not to drain the fluid totally is that on some cars it interferes with the ABS activator (?) system. Can't remember what it's called. The V40 has one in the engine bay.