• Hi Guest why not show off your SEAT! (now fixed)
    You can now share your favourite car photos in the new media gallery including embedding pictures from your Instagram account.

what have you done to your car today ?

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Started at the easy end with my new suspension kit by replacing the rears trying to get them on before i started work. Starting at 7.15 on my dads drive way i was back home for work at 9.15 so i'll call that a result. Has definitely taken some of the crashiness out of bad roads with less rattling from the rear in the cabin whilst also feeling more planted. Fingers crossed the fronts go OK later in the week.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Reactions: BadBoy03

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
Hope you didn't impact gun the top strut bolt. I've heard this can ruin the internal seals.

Only if it spins the main shaft. You can clamp the shaft as hard as you absolutely can with vice grips first which helps get the nut back on. They're very hard steel with a hard chrome coating so it doesn't even mark them (in my personal experience anyhow).

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Only if it spins the main shaft. You can clamp the shaft as hard as you absolutely can with vice grips first which helps get the nut back on. They're very hard steel with a hard chrome coating so it doesn't even mark them (in my personal experience anyhow).
I've never actually torqued one to spec for fear of blowing seals. The first nut im sure goes onto the non threaded section so you cant really over tighten and the top nut i just get as tight as I can with a handled allen key and adjustable wrench on a spark plug socket.

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
Visit site
Started at the easy end with my new suspension kit by replacing the rears trying to get them on before i started work. Starting at 7.15 on my dads drive way i was back home for work at 9.15 so i'll call that a result. Has definitely taken some of the crashiness out of bad roads with less rattling from the rear in the cabin whilst also feeling more planted. Fingers crossed the fronts go OK later in the week.

I'm really interested in hearing your opinion on what the ride height is like one you've got it all fitted, seeing as my ride height increased by about 10mm with this same setup?!?!

Reactions: BadBoy03

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
I'm really interested in hearing your opinion on what the ride height is like one you've got it all fitted, seeing as my ride height increased by about 10mm with this same setup?!?!
Will do, should all be on by Thursday. I'm honestly quite happy if I end up same ride height but newer, better ride quality and less roll as the stock car catches most speed bumps when my lowered gt86 doesn't hit anything. I cant even get it down a ramp to my garage

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
My TCS was playing up last night so whipped my wheels off to reveal a cable has rubbed through on part of the tyre because it popped out the cable guide. Greaaaaaat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Took the glove box out to fit new blower motor and resistor pack.
Fitted fan but the resistor was wrong. Proper one coming tomorrow hopefully.
Whilst i was there i removed the 6 disc changer as thats not working (cartridge keeps popping out).
Took that to bits but couldnt find the problem so will be on the lookout for a replacement at some point soon.

Rich

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Removing front struts...horrific job without a hub spreader, piece of piss with one though.

I was hoping the same but it was a pain to get enough downwards movement to get the old unit out with the driveshaft bottoming out on the subframe. Either that or rust as the old one went all the way down apart from the last 3mm and then wouldn't budge down or back out for ages! If I ever do a mk4 platform car again I will take the hub off first and do it off the car.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.