1st drive today for 8 week! :D // but wasn't all plain sailing :s

Ads_Vag

If in doubt... FLAT OUT!!
Feb 23, 2011
Warrington
www.extremebhp.com
Just spoke to my mechanic & mentioned about filling water up like every 2 week, so he's guna have alook at the piping at the front that's got abit of that White crusty bit which is water onit, which could be the head gasket but we shall see....

Ads_Vag

Feb 23, 2011
Warrington
www.extremebhp.com
got new distributor... fitted & yup you guessed it... still no success!! :'( so now where back to square one scratching our heads.... absolutely no idea what the cause or the problem is at all... had no car now for over 2 weeks :( its killing me!

this maybe the end of another mk2 :( :( but god hope not!!

Ads_Vag

Feb 23, 2011
Warrington
www.extremebhp.com
UPDATE!!!! had everything possible off the engine cleaned all the parts put um back on and the cars running (which is a positive) but... its running like a bag of shite! and has got a massive back fire :(

so now gotta get that sorted... anyone know how to solve the problem of it running like a bag of spuds?

Ads_Vag

Feb 23, 2011
Warrington
www.extremebhp.com
well been garage today... and yup the car wont start again :/ mechanics gonna battle with it again tomoz but also looking at same engine conversion now so if anyone knows of anyone selling a 2.0 8v engine on the cheap let me know please... keeping all options open now to be honest.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
The back firing sounds like your sparking is all to f**k, it's fuel going into the exhaust then the spark firing causes it. Are you sure this mechanic is of any use?

Ads_Vag

Feb 23, 2011
Warrington
www.extremebhp.com
The back firing sounds like your sparking is all to f**k, it's fuel going into the exhaust then the spark firing causes it. Are you sure this mechanic is of any use?

i aint a mechanic mate so im clueless lol cant comment on that & yeah hes good mate, used him few times now :) really good & always gets lots of business (well recommended aswell)

he had alook at the ignition timing today aswel & said its solid not moving freely :/ but also said thats not the problem... hes so sure its something to do with the distributor, ht leads, spark plugs, dizzy cap etc... its just finding out the exact problem

Ads_Vag

Feb 23, 2011
Warrington
www.extremebhp.com
That'll have electronic ignition too, I wonder if the feed is up to scratch, Have you tried a new dizzy?

yup had brand new dizzy cap on and done naff all! but he tried to get the distributer itself off and its just stuck solid... :/

& this will help how?
problems are electrical based, not mechanical

the problem just cant be found though :/ so just replacing the engine would be cheaper.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
You've kinda answered a good possible, I would get the dizzy off and try another one. Not the cap, that would just cause either bad starting or a bit rough running. I mean get the thing out, why can't he get it off? Even the most crappiest, hard to reach, awkward parts on cars still come off.

Ads_Vag

Feb 23, 2011
Warrington
www.extremebhp.com
You've kinda answered a good possible, I would get the dizzy off and try another one. Not the cap, that would just cause either bad starting or a bit rough running. I mean get the thing out, why can't he get it off? Even the most crappiest, hard to reach, awkward parts on cars still come off.

my mechanic's sure of it being the distributer aswel mate, it just wont come off!! tried all day today to get it off but it wont come off :/

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Tell him to get violent, you might like him but seriously, how can it take all day? I don't know what he's doing but even if it's stuck it should be off in an hour. Bolts out, penetrating fluid, fag break, big grips, stillsons etc, give it a little twist to break the corrossion and pull the fecker off.

Ads_Vag

Feb 23, 2011
Warrington
www.extremebhp.com
Tell him to get violent, you might like him but seriously, how can it take all day? I don't know what he's doing but even if it's stuck it should be off in an hour. Bolts out, penetrating fluid, fag break, big grips, stillsons etc, give it a little twist to break the corrossion and pull the fecker off.

lol yeah think i will tell him get violent onit haha... & cause bare in mind he has got other jobs around the garage to do aswel so he's been back and forth to it...

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
deffinitely sounds electrical not mechanical... trust us :)
theres obvious things to check like...
check the fuel pump has a solid 12v and a solid earth, if it runs measure these before and after when it wont start...
swap the fuel pump relay theyre only a couple of quid
check the coils working by arcing it to the head, not ideal but it WILL tell you if the coils working properly. or if the main lead is raj'd
check crank signal... download 'autodata' and itll tell you how to manually check all the electrical system

Ads_Vag

Feb 23, 2011
Warrington
www.extremebhp.com
deffinitely sounds electrical not mechanical... trust us :)
theres obvious things to check like...
check the fuel pump has a solid 12v and a solid earth, if it runs measure these before and after when it wont start...
swap the fuel pump relay theyre only a couple of quid
check the coils working by arcing it to the head, not ideal but it WILL tell you if the coils working properly. or if the main lead is raj'd
check crank signal... download 'autodata' and itll tell you how to manually check all the electrical system

it wont start at all mate just keeps turning over then goes so far the battery starts to lose power...
ill buy a new pump relay aswell n try that,
the coil pack is working because if you take middle lead out the dizzy cap and put it towards the engine block it sends a good spark against the side of the block.
its had a new crank shaft sensor (well 2 new ones just incase)

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I still think it could be the dizzy, I remember they were common as on the polo, stupid things. They were cheap to buy though, £50 from the dealer brand new.

thebody

Feb 28, 2010
Coningsby
Many moons ago when i had my 1.4 ibiza my car was exacly the same would run fine then conk out but unlike yours would restart later on sometimes it could take upto a hour before it run again.
I eventually got fed up and called a auto electrician out and he narrowed it down to guess what the distributor.
Hope you get it sorted soon

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
i picked up a second hand dizzy for about 30 quid, you could also try a fuel pressure gauge, just fits inline with your fuel pipe to the fuel rail and theyre about a fiver on ebay at least then youll know if youve got fuel pressure at all times... if it just refuses to start full stop im tempted to say its spark related tbh, but worth eliminating for a fiver... if the coil is sparking when cranking it isnt the crank sensor... and is more likely the dizzy... crank sensor would stop it from sparking all together

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.