My Cupra replacement - M Roadster - 3 Piece BBS update

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
After finishing off my big clean on the outside a few weeks ago I decided to do the same with the interior. I wont bore you with the details but basically I went over all the leather with AG Leather Care, Polished all the glass & clear plastics and covered the plastics/rubber in vinyl care.

InteriorClean1.jpg

InteriorClean2.jpg

Mod 2 - Polished Roll Hoops

After seeing a TT with similar style hoops I decided to take the plunge and get the ones off ebay. I do plan on eventually tracking down some Genuine AC Schnitzer polished hoops but for the price they really do look fantastic!!

ChromeRollhoops.jpg

Hoops3.jpg

Hoops2.jpg

Mod 3 - OEM Business CD Headunit

Since buying the car the major let down for me was the headunit, an old tatty Sony headunit that literally was falling apart. To keep things looking standard I tracked down a Business CD unit from ebay. Unfortunately for me the CD player is completely knackered but I fitted it as a temporary measure for radio use and just to tidy up the interior.

Before & After:

100_0612.jpg

BusinessCD.jpg

Mod 4 - Storm Werks Gearknob/Handbrake

Well my next two mods arrived in the post yesterday.

Before:

before.jpg

After:

After.jpg

I really liked my old gearstick but these really come as a set :)

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
Well since selling the cupra the big things I have missed is the sleeperness & boost. So an offer came up I couldnt refuse, I bit the bullet and bought it, unfortunately there is alot to do before it will see my engine bay..so it may be a while before you see the results:

1.jpg

Things to do first:

- Strengthen rear diff mount to handle extra power, BMW are known to sometimes fix this issue as 'free will' but it goes on a case by case basis
- Buy a full cat back exhaust system
- Fit & live map the car
- Possibly go low comp pistons / uprate internals, depends whether I can 'reliably' run the power without or not

All fairly expensive things, some alot more than others! but the cars a keeper so I dont mind the wait.

Last edited:

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
Cheers PJ, good choice mate :)

I'm on zroadster.net, z3mcoupe.com & bimmerforums.com (for the FI section)at the mo, wouldnt mind finding a decent UK one for beemer models if you know any?

Last edited:

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Im on e46zone which I have actually registered on and quite like. The people are helpful and nice but some have the beemer blinkers on. All the others I have lurked on I havent really liked much and most are not from the UK. If you find a good UK one let me know!

tommy2008cupra

ha ha im sure it will mate il be keepin my eye on this one

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
Well I sold the charger kit last week. I've decided the s54 would be a better base for a charger (because of the availability of kits and the amount of FI experience with the engine).

This means I'm keeping a second eye out for an s54 but not thinking of selling up yet. I'm in two minds to just stay NA and keep her because of the amazing condition of the car but we'll see.

In the mean time i've bought the gearstick surround and console facia to replace my 'scratched' one, i'm hoping the color will match up well but we'll see, if it doesnt i'll be looking into trimming all the red 'bits' with red leather

stezo2k

Anjuna Monkey
Mar 15, 2008
Dudley
really like the car mate, only thing i dont like is the rear. the interior is bloody gorgeous, looks pretty fast too

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
Well thanks to the horrible weather and lack of sunlight I havent had much chance to update with photos etc.. I braved it this afternoon for a few snaps:

A quick snap of the replaced center console:

Before (cracked button surrounds and scratches around the leccy window switches:

hsdff.jpg

After:

100_1815.jpg

Also got hold of somenew foils for the engine bay (to protect the paint), these will be going on when I source some primer

100_1820.jpg

The fixed spot welds by BMW after my uprated diff mount was fitted:

100_1818.jpg

Annoyingly it appears on one of the welds they didnt clean the rust off before spraying as you can see below so the rust has surfaced on the paint

100_1819.jpg

Also I managed to pick up a personalised plate on ebay :)

100_1808.jpg

100_1807.jpg

100_1806.jpg

Finally something to put a downer on things, for the first time ever I kerbed a rim...absolutely gutted, I was trying to avoid deep puddles on a driveway, this will be getting a refurb asap

100_1805.jpg

RubenD

Sorry to see the kurb damage. But the car looks great, love the sound of these 6 potters!

gibson1987

well i can only say tha these are an amazing car i was thinking of getting one but i really want the ibiza mk3 want the turbo power and seat space cant beat that mpower grunt though great choice though.

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
Gibson yeah i do love the power but in comparison to the old cupra its feels very sensible, i'm definately not done with turbo cars yet

Havent updated in a while, i've been busy dealing with little niggles/fixes that have bugged me since I bought it e.g.
- replaced light dimmer switch,
- painting back boxes which were peeling,
- sanding/priming and yet to paint stone chips,
- peeling engine bay foils which arent fitted quite yet
- a roof leak which took a bit of detective work,
- and tatty rubber seals for the aerial replaced with nice new ones :)

I also drove all the way to birmingham burning £60 just in fuel to pick up some genuine AC Schnitzer hoops (rare as fooook)...dont ask me how much they cost me though!

IMG_0114.jpg

Here they are against the old ebay versions:

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

The quality difference is immense, they were a £1k+ mod new afterall!

Refurbed my damaged rim:

IMG_0118.jpg

and not so exciting but some stone protectors:

IMG_0129.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.