My Cupra replacement - M Roadster - 3 Piece BBS update

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
Hey peeps, well i've moved away from the VAG scene altogether, decided rather than spanking 2k on engine work on the Ibiza (that id never see again) I'd go for something slightly more 'sensible'. I imagine its not to everyones taste but here's some pics:

(comments welcome either way)

Previous cars:

125bhp Polo gti 1.6 16v

DSCF1898.jpg

250bhp Ibiza Cupra 1.8T 20v

DSC_1054.jpg

330bhp Ibiza Cupra 1.8T 20v

100_0561.jpg

Well here she is after about 6 hours cleaning/polishing on the weekend, havent even touched the interior yet!...

Really pleased with the bodywork condition, and even the exhaust tips came up well after some hard rubbing of autosol!

Brief spec:

- 2 Owners from new
- Completely standard (apart from rims refurbished in arctic silver)

facebook3-1.jpg

facebook5-1.jpg

facebook12-1.jpg

facebook112-1.jpg

facebook10-1.jpg

Bodywork wise this car is silly clean, and the engine bay is sparkling :)

Plans are fairly simple, get an airbox/ SS exhaust system on there with some ever so slightly larger tail pipes (or the CSL style) to get the noise, and either lower on BBS LM's or BBS RS 17/18" extremely staggered... if I can find them...thats about it :) maybe a few cosmetic touches and a new wind deflector

Last edited:

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
So you left the turbo scene then...

Still think this is a womans car. It looks ok, and drives nice I know that from personal experience, but doesn't do it for me.

The red is also VERY present.

But as long as you're happy i guess

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
thanks for the comments, reuvers wasnt sure about the red interior myself in pics but in the flesh it really does just work :)...have to say the same about the car really, pretty much fell in love with it when i saw it!!

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
this seems like quite a popular car on here, as there is a couple of people who went from their cupra to this.

Is it a popular car over the in GB? Over here not at all.

Its kind of always had the image of 'just not' kinda like an Mx5 with a higher price tag.

But as long as you're happy with it thats what counts.

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
Nice choice matey, I really like the Z3M roadster. The Z4M is even tastier but I suppose you'll work upto that! :p the Z3M (Coupe) has ALOT of fans over on Pistonheads ;)

RickyD1975

Audi A6 2.0TDI 170 S-Line
Jan 2, 2008
North East
Very nice indeed and looks like a real minter. I've always been a fan of these even in the 2.8 form which are still pretty swift.

Enjoy the roof down motoring, we do have the occasional nice sunny day in the U.K.

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
Thanks for the kind replies peeps :)

this seems like quite a popular car on here, as there is a couple of people who went from their cupra to this.

Is it a popular car over the in GB? Over here not at all.

Its kind of always had the image of 'just not' kinda like an Mx5 with a higher price tag.

But as long as you're happy with it thats what counts.

Reuvers I wouldnt say they are popular so much as there was only a limited run of them (about 900 in the UK),

I dont think an mx5 is a very good comparison to be honest, maybe to a normal z3 but not the M roadster, thats a bit like comparing an M3 to a mazda 6! It was reviewed on top gear on two seperate occasions, against a TVR Chimaera 5.0 & a Merc SLK AMG..even clarkson admitted it was a good car..

Tiff needel(topgear presenter former racing driver) owned one and rated it quite highly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vocpe0eZUWg

The coupe has become a classic in its own right because of its incredible drive, it was also on top gear against a scooby/evo & an alfa gtv..and lets put it this way the outcome wasnt exactly bad on the BM

Gotta say though its not as fast as my old IHI Cupra..not in a straight line anyway..although the noise is something special! :)

Last edited:

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
1. First Mod - Genuine BMW Illuminated Gear knob

Replaced my knackered original gearknob with this one, its also illuminated like the original:

Before:

100_0612.jpg

After:

hsdff.jpg

aretwtrerwe.jpg

Photos dont do it justice, looks really good against the dash

Oh and jester I dont actually know as the dealer pretty much covered the cost :)

Riko

MURDER WAGON
Jun 10, 2007
Milton Keynes
Interesting choice, mate of mine has the Z4M coupe and it's an animal! Call it the batmobile as its black! Wouldn't be my cuppaT but I totally agree the noise alone may be enough to sway many people! You're moving away from the world of modifying then...?? What's insurance, petrol costs etc like against the cupra?

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
Your friends a lucky lucky guy! I'm hoping to move up to a z4 m coupe in a few years either in black or white. As for modifying I'll still be doing it just mainly engine mods as I love the look already(unless the right set of bbs lm/rs appear) just want it faster and louder...everything is so calm and quiet compared with the cupra..the exhaust tone really is immense though!

As for costs, it's Alot more to just service compared with keeping the IHI on the road, insurance was about 200 more and petrol is worse but not by a massive amount more noticeble when just pootling around town

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
not a real fan of the Z car myself (sorry) but i do like the look of that trim mind - looks great

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
Well its been a while since I last updated the thread so I thought i'd show everyone what i've been up to.

First of all I went a bit crazy on ebay and spent about £250 on car cleaning products and a jet washer.

100_1019.jpg

100_1021.jpg

I decided I wanted to give the car a 'proper' clean starting with the engine bay, any tips for the future would be great :) :

- I taped up all electrical wires and gently hosed down
- Then coated the whole bay in AG Engine Machine cleaner and begun agitating the dirt using some swiss vax style brushes
- Whilst the engine bay was in this state i went round the underside of the bonnet paying particular attention to the parts that have dirt flicking up onto them
- Once i'd covered as much as possible I hosed down again and toweled dry.
- After leaving for about 20 mins I came back and coated the bay in AG Vinyl Shine
- Another 15 mins or so later I went round with a damp towel rubbing the vinyl shine over the whole bay evenly.

Here's the end result:

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8-1.jpg

Next was to clean the door shuts in a similar manner.

10.jpg

9.jpg

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
Next was the roof, I had no idea when this was last protected but it was starting to look a bit dirty.

- I used AG Fabric hood cleaner brushing with the grain. (if you do use this I warn you it strips wax off the paint so clean it off immediately). I used a whole bottle on the hood and hosed down until most of the foam had dissipated.
- I then moved on to the protector once again using the whole bottle (probably overkill!).

The result two weeks later, still beading nicely :)

11.jpg

Ok after the fabric hood cleaner stripping my nice layer of wax in places I thought I better get her clean and protected. If anyone has any recommended steps please say ! :)

- Jet Wash
- AG Shampoo with lambswool mitt
- Rinse door shuts
- Jet wash
- Shampoo Wheels using brushes to get into hard to reach areas
- Rinse with megs mitt (inc. wheels)
- Dry with my dodo juice supernatural towel (sooo good!! cant recommend enough!)

100_1217.jpg

- I then went round with a megs clay bar and quik detailer, the dirt from just a few weeks was horrible!

13.jpg

- Next dried off the quik detailer & went round with some AG SRP
- Then buffed off and went on to AG HD wax also coating the wheels
- Finished off coating the arches/underside of sideskirts & door shuts with the wax, then buffing off
- After the photos were taken I polished up the exhaust tips with Autosol & AG SRP and rubbed on some Tyre shine

Unfortunately it rained straight after i'd finished but at least the beading looked good! :)

100_1234.jpg

100_1229.jpg

100_1244.jpg

Next will be the interior :)

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
cheers for the comments, myki it was a toss up between this and an r33 gtr...i thought i'd made the sensible option but turns out the servicing prob isnt much better! dont regret it though, always had a soft spot for these..i knew there would be haters!:happy:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.