Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
I've just had a quick look at the here maps and the road looks correct to our plans we had where Google maps continues in a loop which is wrong as houses will be built cutting it off.
Local knowledge 😉. If you get your TomTom account and look at that, that might be ahead of what you have etc. You might need to just give them the road names then you are done etc. The camera picture with GPS coordinates, link to site plan uploaded on their site, postcodes and you are done. Wait for the accepted flag and the VAG mib2 standard release, June and November each year. Then your car icon will be close to a road and not in avfield. 😍

You could be helpful to the VAG 2020+ owners are give Here maps the road names.

When there is a complete pigs ear it gets more tricky with TomTom and Google getting them past validation. Google digs it's head in the sand about private farm tracks that aren't roads and won't take them out. Here Maps process can be buggy. That's a question of looking at it monthly to make sure it's taken. As you zoom in on the edit screen what's in the production database is shown at a lower level, then at a higher level switches to the development database. When you see it zoomed out, its in the production database having passed validation.

Giuseppe Busso

Ioannis
Jan 29, 2021
Greece
My 8inch MIB1 has the mst2_eu_se_zr_p0468t software.
Is PO0479T the latest version?
Also if i update, codings, adaptations, Apple Carplay will gone?

Tell

Staff member
The maps you can't update on mib1 yourself and there are no more updates as far as for firmware updates you need to post your question on this thread:

Apple play question to there.

Sure you don't have a mib2 standard rather than a mib1 based on the firmware you are running. If so the maps can be updated following the instructions, software question on the other thread. I think you will find you retain everything but the experts are over there.

A picture of the firmware and software screen will resolve whether it's mib1 or mib2 and options. Post to there. Plus a photo of the map card. Post to here and pictures as well.

Reactions: Giuseppe Busso
Nov 11, 2020
Hi all I have
5QA035858A
Hardware H30
Software 0351
Media codec is 3101 0 0 8

This morning when I started the car the USB port by the gear selector no longer does anything, telephone button produces an error saying "telephone currently unavailable" and Nav button produces an error saying "function not supported" even though I've never touched the SD card with the map data on it. Is there a software update or reset I can do to fix this? I've tried the long press on the power button and factory settings in the menu but had no success.
The exact same thing has happned to me know whilst driving. Taken the SD card out, tried the reset options still nothing. I know its an old thread but I wonder if it was fixed. In a 2016 Toledo with exact specs as above.

Tell

Staff member
The exact same thing has happned to me know whilst driving. Taken the SD card out, tried the reset options still nothing. I know its an old thread but I wonder if it was fixed. In a 2016 Toledo with exact specs as above.
That's going to be a hardware issue rather than software unless the firmware has got corrupted.

Think I will complement myself on the answer I gave at the time:

The software thread I referenced above goes into reprogramming the firmware but whether it's wise at this stage the guys on that thread they may advise. It is a worry as the units age since they aren't cheap.

You could check the connections at the back of the mib2 unit to see whether they are loose, the link to the original guy where I was talking about the key device to release the unit to get behind it. Also the screen. Recent Ateca thread where someone had a smashed screen and changed it themselves.

The touch and buttons on that pass the commands to the mib2 box. Any defective parts in that will also I guess lead to issues you see. Toledo may have a "connection" box. Diagram from the Mib2 Ateca suspect a defect in the USB connection box wouldn't give you the problems.

Screenshot_20220226-090003.png

If you can't get your dealer involved there is also East Yorkshire Retrofit a board sponsor that might be able to help. This is where you would swap out components if you had a spare one to test out.

Off topic thou.

HelloPitty

Mar 4, 2022
Hello. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post here. Sorry if I'm not.
I have just purchased a Seat Ibiza 1.6Tdi, 95cv, 2020. The SD card was still sealed in it's case. I downloaded the ~6Gb files from Seat web site and replaced all SD contents without making any backup. Do I have a chance to get my Navigation system working without having to purchase a new SD card from Seat? The Navigation system was never used because the SD card was still sealed!

Tell

Staff member
Hello. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post here. Sorry if I'm not.
I have just purchased a Seat Ibiza 1.6Tdi, 95cv, 2020. The SD card was still sealed in it's case. I downloaded the ~6Gb files from Seat web site and replaced all SD contents without making any backup. Do I have a chance to get my Navigation system working without having to purchase a new SD card from Seat? The Navigation system was never used because the SD card was still sealed!
I assume it didn't work. If you aren't using a Mac then it's fairly easy. If using a Mac you must run cleanmydrive on the SD card... might get away without doing that.

How it works is the first time you put the card in, it married that six month release of the card to the unit. The overall.nds file talked about in the "workaround" is the release file. It was found by copying this file between releases it magically allows you to do the update. Hence users called it the workaround.

The preamble is that if the car has never had a card in the unit then it will work with the latest mib2 standard release, otherwise you do the workaround. If you have lost the overall.nds file then you follow the lost section of the resource link top left. This:

Lost section.... This bit:

》》
Lost, Stolen and Missing Cards from a Mib2 Standard Unit

Godzzi and myself covered on the thread the process of getting back a card that was lost or stolen out of the unit. Buy a card and put back the overall.nds file from the year or one before. For good measure you can go back to V1 Seat map release rather than playing lucky dip with the download releases if you don't know which release was paired with the car, link below and use the most recent map update over writing the overall.nds file with the V1 one.

V1 link (Credit Markobc with that one):

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/0430_MP143-1248.0EUR.zip

or Skoda's download manager version (more resilient to network timing out issues)

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto....der.exe?ver=636797902467464786&extension=.exe

Godzzi tested for me that going back beyond the paired overall.nds file worked. So if in doubt jump back releases if you don't know what the release was. Then do the workaround using the overall.nds file. (I did test that with a unit with the overall.nds of 1030 and works fine with 0430)

Variation of the workaround but going back to the Seat base year for mib2 if no more information on what was in the car. Full credit goes to Exciter for the workaround. Basically now identified that these overall.nds files contains effectively a release date stamp as well as a general database index. For other VAG cars you might want to go back to 0235 (2014/15) which is the very first release ahead of it coming to Seat.

The card needs to be a Standard Mib2 card, can be Seat, Skoda or VW. Might wish to consider the recent 32GB card planning ahead.
《《

That's got the NDS file on it for the workaround... Use that file for this:

》》
Workaround

Using a PC or a MAC ?

PC: 7 Zip is the preferred VW tool, other unzip tool including those built into Windows, can cause difficulties.

7 zip can be obtained from

https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

MAC: VW instructions

"ATTENTION

If the map update is performed using the Apple® OS X operating system you may find that
Discover Media does not recognise the map material or displays it incorrectly. This is due to
a lack of compatibility between the “7 zip” program and the OS-X operating system. In
addition, the OS-X operating system has a tendency to create hidden additional files on
external data media. We therefore recommend that OS X users use the “Keka” unzipping
program. We also recommend using the “CleanMyDrive” program to remove any hidden files."

If a MAC is used CleanMyDrive is run against the SD card after the maps are copied across to the SD card.

Having identified which unzipping tool is required and special Mac SD card cleaning required... free to proceed.

Steps:

1. Download the latest standard MIB2 maps
  2. on the infotainment go to settings, safely remove, sd1 card
  3. remove sd1 card from glove box slot
  4. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  5. insert sd card in to computer
  6. copy and paste all contents to a directory on your computer
  7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off) (ditto in a MAC or delete all from the SD card)
  8. Copy the new downloaded map version to the SD card (after unzipping it)
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  10. eject the sd card (on a MAC run CleanMyDrive on the SD card - then eject)
  11. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
  12. power on and go to navigation

The unit should then boot up into navigation. Note it does take a little longer first time round. If it refuses to boot up, press the volume button forcing a reboot, hold down until the unit reboots. If this fails it will be issues on the overall.nds file / copy issues. Revisit the process. Failing this restore the back up.

You will also need to pick up any POIs that you show on the screen since these will be dropped after a map update. Petrol stations, parking location etc.

Do not format the card in anything other than Fat32. The unit runs QNX so will not correctly see the SD card if it is not in Fat32. The CID is not deleted in a format that is outside of the area that can be addressed.
《《

That links to the first mib2 standard release that Seat has... the solution to all. Alternative if the card has a 6P release code on it one can work out which release it was. More hard work. The 1030 release is on the thread above. You don't really know how old the card was you were given. 6Pxxxx tells you that but as said the year dot fix forks.

Last edited:
Reactions: HelloPitty

HelloPitty

Mar 4, 2022
Ok, I'm completely new to Seat. This is my first Seat ever. So I'm completely alienated about all these terms and versions and numbering and etc. I'm sorry for this.

I didn't understand a couple of things after reading your post.
But I'll start giving some information about the versions of the car system and the SD card

So, car system:
Hardware Version: 5F0035846C (I typed zero zero, but I'm not sure if it's zero zero or capital 'o' capital 'o')
Software Version: H29.344.59_STD2Nav_EU

Hardware Number: 5F0035846C (I typed zero zero, but I'm not sure if it's zero zero or capital 'o' capital 'o')
Hardware Version:5F0035846C (I typed zero zero, but I'm not sure if it's zero zero or capital 'o' capital 'o')

Installed SW Train Version: MST2_EU_SE_ZR_P0514T
Installed Main Software Unit: 0514

SD card serial number: 6PO.919.866BA (Europe 1 (V9))

I translated the names, so they might not be 100% accurate, but I think one can see what each one is.

I also wiped the SD card in Linux with command tool DD, so I think I destroyed the partition table and everything else with it. I'm not sure this is a problem or not!
I just used fdisk to re-create the partition table and a FAT32 partition! I don't use Windows at all and I'm not rich to own a MacOS computer. xD

About your post, you say to get a new SD card and put back the
Code:
overall.nds
file, but I don't have it. I didn't save a backup of the original SD card contents! So, what file would this one be? Where is it? Is the one from the Skoda link?

Then you say that I can go back to Seat V1 maps. Where do I get those maps, specifically?

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
The Skoda link is this

V1 link (Credit Markobc with that one):

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/0430_MP143-1248.0EUR.zip

I'd give it a go. You need the card in Fat32... nothing else and you aren't suppose to change the sector size. Some people have and they appear to have wrecked the card. They have had to buy another one. 4k I seem to recall is the correct sector size it came in. It can't be in anything other than fat32.

There is a hidden section of the SD card that Windows can't delete but Linux can. If you have wiped that it won't work. The VAG cards use that area to control distribution of the cards. So there is a check on that and the NDS file. That's the CID lock. There are people that hack the firmware to bypass the CID check and use a standard SD card, adjusting the standard navigation FeCs which bypasses the NDS business. Whilst I've written a gold card, I've never hacked the firmware on a standard unit. Much easier to use the workaround, fat32, not format the card, just delete what's on it and use Windows or a Mac.

Mind you in Linux you can only get at the CID if the SD card reader / writer is on the mother board if connected via USB you are fine. Related to the drivers. I can point you to that check since its something I've done to replicate what Exciter did who was behind the workaround.

HelloPitty

Mar 4, 2022
Ok, I was able tp read the CID code (check your PMs tomorrow) and I copied the Skoda zip contents into the SD card.

Anyway, this is what I get from mount command. I think I have a FAT32 filesystem there:
Bash:
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/<censored>/isoIMGs type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

fdisk:
Bash:
$ sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.36.1).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
Be careful before using the write command.

Command (m for help): p
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 15.18 GiB, 16299065344 bytes, 31834112 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xbfdedfaa

Device         Boot Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk0p1       2048 31834111 31832064 15.2G  b W95 FAT32

Command (m for help): i
Selected partition 1
         Device: /dev/mmcblk0p1
          Start: 2048
            End: 31834111
        Sectors: 31832064
      Cylinders: 497377
           Size: 15.2G
             Id: b
           Type: W95 FAT32
    Start-C/H/S: 32/0/1
      End-C/H/S: 767/3/16

Command (m for help):

fdisk tells me the sector size is 512 bytes. Am I in trouble here?

Tomorrow will test it in the car!

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
4096 is the correct sector size:

One should never reformat the SD card just delete what's on it. That link is around where there were issues. The guy ended up buying another one from an e seller.

HelloPitty

Mar 4, 2022
4096 is the correct sector size:

One should never reformat the SD card just delete what's on it. That link is around where there were issues. The guy ended up buying another one from an e seller.
So, I have no way of fixing my SD card? Can't I change the sector size to 4096?

Tell

Staff member
So, I have no way of fixing my SD card? Can't I change the sector size to 4096?
It might work with a different sector size although formatting it might have wrecked the card. This has happened more recently. Mib2 runs QNX the cards are expected to be in Fat32 and the 4096 sector size. Sometimes when they are reformatted by Windows 10 / 11 these days even in Fat32 the sector size gets taken off the default setting the card was on. Getting them back to the original may help but recent examples of them being wrecked during a reformat.

Vag in their documentation do say delete or reformat.... sector size is given:

Preparing the SD-CDA card
• Push the switch on the SD-CDA card to “Unlock”. Now insert the SD-CDA card into your
computer should it not yet be in your computer due to file backup.
• Delete all files on the SD-CDA card or reformat your SD-CDA card. It is imperative that the card
is formatted as a FAT32 partition.

The formatting process depends on your operating system. With a Windows operating system,
you need to access the SD card drive and right-click on “Format”. The manufacturer will provide
information for other operating systems. We recommend that you have a cluster of 4,096 bytes for
formatting.

Unzipping map material

Goes on to say use CleanMydrive if using Mac OS.

People have tried NTFS and they don't read the card correctly... that's happened. Where the word imperative comes in.

The CleanMydrive comes in on Mac's since they expect the traditional CR / LF at the end of each line, Mac OS adds it's own rubbish and definitely upsets mib2 high updates since a signature check is carried out before the maps are imported. CleanMyDrive takes out all the Mac OS rubbish. Parse on whether Linux may leave anything dubious in the files that QNX trips on.

Last edited:

HelloPitty

Mar 4, 2022
Ohh, ok, it's cluster size. Not sector size.

Ok, I managed to get the maps working.
Steps I did:
1 - Make sure computer can read CID
2 - Make sure filesystem is FAT32 (W95 FAT32 in fdisk under Linux)
3 - format the SD card and make sure Cluster size is 4096 by mkfs.vfat -S 4096 /dev/mmcblk0p1
4 - Copy Skoda files onto the SD
Things worked this way.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Ohh, ok, it's cluster size. Not sector size.

Ok, I managed to get the maps working.
Steps I did:
1 - Make sure computer can read CID
2 - Make sure filesystem is FAT32 (W95 FAT32 in fdisk under Linux)
3 - format the SD card and make sure Cluster size is 4096 by mkfs.vfat -S 4096 /dev/mmcblk0p1
4 - Copy Skoda files onto the SD
Things worked this way.
You are the first person to do it in Linux I reckon... we got there 👍

HelloPitty

Mar 4, 2022
You are the first person to do it in Linux I reckon... we got there 👍
Really? That makes me sad! Linux is better than Windows in so many ways!
I didn't have any problems with hidden files being left on the SD card nor unzipping files returning problems like apparently has been reported by some MacOS (Linux based) and Windows users.

And I thought I had really messed up the entire SD card and destroyed all info in it because I used a tool to re-write the entire SD card with zeroes. Partition tables get destroyed but probably this CID thing is somewhere else in the SD card that dd tool couldn't reach it! Fortunately!

Tell

Staff member
Really? That makes me sad! Linux is better than Windows in so many ways!
I didn't have any problems with hidden files being left on the SD card nor unzipping files returning problems like apparently has been reported by some MacOS (Linux based) and Windows users.

And I thought I had really messed up the entire SD card and destroyed all info in it because I used a tool to re-write the entire SD card with zeroes. Partition tables get destroyed but probably this CID thing is somewhere else in the SD card that dd tool couldn't reach it! Fortunately!
Thats why I got you to look at the CID just to make sure it wasnt a row of nulls after you formatted the SD card. Exciter behind the workaround method was / is a Linux person since he went into how to write a CID.... using a Mac as I recall. The CID can only be cloned onto specific SD cards which cost more than buying a VAG card so it's not really cost effective. He covered that to explain how the CID and Mapcare hung together. 2017 posts. It transpired on the thread that all VAG cards are interchangeable between mib1 and mib2. The CID is really a VAG signature although it's different but works the same. You have now seen the signature via Linux something that Windows users can't do 😂.

HelloPitty

Mar 4, 2022
Thats why I got you to look at the CID just to make sure it wasnt a row of nulls after you formatted the SD card. Exciter behind the workaround method was / is a Linux person since he went into how to write a CID.... using a Mac as I recall. The CID can only be cloned onto specific SD cards which cost more than buying a VAG card so it's not really cost effective. He covered that to explain how the CID and Mapcare hung together. 2017 posts. It transpired on the thread that all VAG cards are interchangeable between mib1 and mib2. The CID is really a VAG signature although it's different but works the same. You have now seen the signature via Linux something that Windows users can't do 😂.

Oh ok. Sorry for Windows users. Anyway, I think most of users don't need to see the CID.
I'm now dowloading the 515 file for the system update.
Please explain what MiB and FeC stands for an what they are. I think MiB is the so to speak operating system of the onboard computer, right? All that shows up in the car screen is the operating system and it's called MiB, is that it? What about FeC?

Tell

Staff member
FeC is the feature enablement code. It's like a 4k television being sold as 1080, but if you had the FeC for it you could turn it into a 4k. They don't make Tv's like that but VW make their Mib units like that. Way of licencing features.

This link shows you how to access the FeC menu... I've tabled the mib2 high navigation ones there, yours are standard ones. There are FeCs that enable AA / Car Play most cars come with all FeCs turned on these days for other than Mapcare.

That link was really for people with mib2 high who had bought Mapcare / or where a retrofitter professed to have changed the FeCs but hadn't. Early issue with retrofitters and mib2 highs. So we can check up on their work.

MIB are German initials for modular infotainment unit. That's the series of the unit. They get revised on a 5 year cycle. RNS before. MIB1 went to 2015, MIB2 to 2020. MIB3 2020 on. Guess MIB4 for 2025 models.

Stefan147

Jan 29, 2019
Athens Greece
So I had some free time during the weekend and after upgrading to 515 mib firmware, I decided to give it a go and update the maps too.

After some studying I read about the "overall" file workaround and so I downloaded the latest maps. Unfortunately I formatted (and not deleted) the V7 card that came with the car (after taking a backup) and then copied the new maps with the old overall file. Everything works great but I still want to ask:

1) do the maps lose their part number code after this procedure? I now got a blank part number. No 6Pxxxxxxxx anymore.

2) now the maps only work when the card is placed in the SD1 position. Up to now and according to the manual the maps SD card should be placed in the SD2 position. Now when I put the workaround card in the SD2 position I get a "sd card faulty" message.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise